protecting database from internet access

From
"ashish srivastava"
Date:
hi,

please do the needful..

I am using j2ee on the server side and postgresql as the database to
connect. This database is exposed to the internet.

The user is shown a login page in which user enters its username and
password. Password authentication takes place.This password is authenticated
on the basis of password field in the userprofile table.

some questions :-
1)can anybody tell me how to do this so that the database is at most secure
on the internet ?
2)should i have different password(login password) for the connection string
? or connection string password should be same and authentication should be
done by fetching the password value from the userprofile table for the
coressponding user ?
3)Encrypting the password ?
4)Adding the password in the session so that once authentication is done
user is allowed for authorization for different resources such
databases,tables etc..
5)providing some SSl or tunneling to the database ?

please help with some examples..

i am presently using pg admin III on windows of postgresql. later on might
switch to linux.

i have read about pg_hba.conf file..But these things are not clear to me.

Thanks,
Ashish

Finding it difficult to find your life partner?Here is your solution
http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/
http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm

Re: protecting database from internet access

From
"codeWarrior"
Date:
  From the postgreSQL docs:
16.7. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL
19.1. The pg_hba.conf file
  19.2. Authentication methods
    19.2.1. Trust authentication
    19.2.2. Password authentication
    19.2.3. Kerberos authentication
    19.2.4. Ident-based authentication
    19.2.5. PAM Authentication
  19.3. Authentication problems

""ashish srivastava"" <ashu_shri@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi,
>
> please do the needful..
>
> I am using j2ee on the server side and postgresql as the database to
> connect. This database is exposed to the internet.
>
> The user is shown a login page in which user enters its username and
> password. Password authentication takes place.This password is
> authenticated on the basis of password field in the userprofile table.
>
> some questions :-
> 1)can anybody tell me how to do this so that the database is at most
> secure on the internet ?
> 2)should i have different password(login password) for the connection
> string ? or connection string password should be same and authentication
> should be done by fetching the password value from the userprofile table
> for the coressponding user ?
> 3)Encrypting the password ?
> 4)Adding the password in the session so that once authentication is done
> user is allowed for authorization for different resources such
> databases,tables etc..
> 5)providing some SSl or tunneling to the database ?
>
> please help with some examples..
>
> i am presently using pg admin III on windows of postgresql. later on might
> switch to linux.
>
> i have read about pg_hba.conf file..But these things are not clear to me.
>
> Thanks,
> Ashish

> Finding it difficult to find your life partner?Here is your solution
> http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/
> http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm

Re: protecting database from internet access

From
"ashish srivastava"
Date:
Hi,

I have to design authentication and authorization tables in the postgress
database depending on the roles of the users. What strategy should i follow.
The transcation is going to be at most secure i.e. https and ssl enable.

can you help with some example.

Thanks,
Ashish

>From: "codeWarrior" <gpatnude@hotmail.com>
>To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
>Subject: Re: [ADMIN] protecting database from internet access
>Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:13:31 -0700
>
>   From the postgreSQL docs:
>16.7. Secure TCP/IP Connections with SSL
>19.1. The pg_hba.conf file
>   19.2. Authentication methods
>     19.2.1. Trust authentication
>     19.2.2. Password authentication
>     19.2.3. Kerberos authentication
>     19.2.4. Ident-based authentication
>     19.2.5. PAM Authentication
>   19.3. Authentication problems
>
>""ashish srivastava"" <ashu_shri@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > hi,
> >
> > please do the needful..
> >
> > I am using j2ee on the server side and postgresql as the database to
> > connect. This database is exposed to the internet.
> >
> > The user is shown a login page in which user enters its username and
> > password. Password authentication takes place.This password is
> > authenticated on the basis of password field in the userprofile table.
> >
> > some questions :-
> > 1)can anybody tell me how to do this so that the database is at most
> > secure on the internet ?
> > 2)should i have different password(login password) for the connection
> > string ? or connection string password should be same and authentication
> > should be done by fetching the password value from the userprofile table
> > for the coressponding user ?
> > 3)Encrypting the password ?
> > 4)Adding the password in the session so that once authentication is done
> > user is allowed for authorization for different resources such
> > databases,tables etc..
> > 5)providing some SSl or tunneling to the database ?
> >
> > please help with some examples..
> >
> > i am presently using pg admin III on windows of postgresql. later on
>might
> > switch to linux.
> >
> > i have read about pg_hba.conf file..But these things are not clear to
>me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ashish

> > Finding it difficult to find your life partner?Here is your solution
> > http://www.bharatmatrimony.com/
> > http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/bm05/bm_msn_tagoffline.htm

> > TIP 5: don't forget to increase your free space map settings

NRI SPECIAL OFFER!Zero balance account for 20 years! Get it now!
http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/citibankrca/rca_msntagofline.htm