Automatic database backup on Windows Machine

From
William Shatner
Date:
Hi,

I am a newbie at PostgreSQL. I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on Windows
XP. I would like to automate my database backup (pg_dump, pg_dumpall).

I can't add it to scheduled tasks as Windows doesn't see my PostgreSQL
superuser account (it only sees the service a/c). Even if it did i
think there might be issues when it prompts for a password????. I am
logged into my machine as my Windows user name.

Can this be done?

King Regards,
Will

Re: Automatic database backup on Windows Machine

From
John DeSoi
Date:
On Mar 2, 2005, at 4:18 AM, William Shatner wrote:

> I am a newbie at PostgreSQL. I am running PostgreSQL 8.0 on Windows
> XP. I would like to automate my database backup (pg_dump, pg_dumpall).
>
> I can't add it to scheduled tasks as Windows doesn't see my PostgreSQL
> superuser account (it only sees the service a/c). Even if it did i
> think there might be issues when it prompts for a password????. I am
> logged into my machine as my Windows user name.

The password issue can be resolved with the pgpass file:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/libpq-pgpass.html

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL