how do you run postgres without dns server

From
Ivan Dimitrov
Date:
I have a database on a machine that does not know what localhost is. Yes, I
have 127.0.0.1, but I can't resolve localhost to it. I don't want to start a
caching dns, and don't want to change resolve.conf. Upon starting, postgres
gives error cannot bind to localhost. then starts accepting connections to
127.0.0.1 normaly.
So, why does postgres try to resolve localhost in the first place? Because of
this error pg_autovacuum does not start.
--

Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

Attachment

Re: how do you run postgres without dns server

From
Halford Dace
Date:
localhost should be defined in your hosts file, which in most unixoid
environments is /etc/hosts.  It is not an error.

Hal

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ivan Dimitrov wrote:

> I have a database on a machine that does not know what localhost is. Yes, I
> have 127.0.0.1, but I can't resolve localhost to it. I don't want to start a
> caching dns, and don't want to change resolve.conf. Upon starting, postgres
> gives error cannot bind to localhost. then starts accepting connections to
> 127.0.0.1 normaly.
> So, why does postgres try to resolve localhost in the first place? Because of
> this error pg_autovacuum does not start.
> --
>

> Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
> Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

Re: how do you run postgres without dns server

From
Ivan Dimitrov
Date:
Yes, it is there
127.0.0.1        localhost
but when i strace postmaster on startup it never looks in /etc/hosts

На 10.11.2004 12:05 вие написахте:
> localhost should be defined in your hosts file, which in most unixoid
> environments is /etc/hosts.  It is not an error.
>
> Hal
>
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004, Ivan Dimitrov wrote:
> > I have a database on a machine that does not know what localhost is. Yes,
> > I have 127.0.0.1, but I can't resolve localhost to it. I don't want to
> > start a caching dns, and don't want to change resolve.conf. Upon
> > starting, postgres gives error cannot bind to localhost. then starts
> > accepting connections to 127.0.0.1 normaly.
> > So, why does postgres try to resolve localhost in the first place?
> > Because of this error pg_autovacuum does not start.
> > --
> >

> > Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
> > Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

--

Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

Attachment

Re: how do you run postgres without dns server

From
Oliver Elphick
Date:
On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 12:15 +0200, Ivan Dimitrov wrote:
> Yes, it is there
> 127.0.0.1        localhost
> but when i strace postmaster on startup it never looks in /etc/hosts

Look at the "hosts:" line in /etc/nsswitch.conf.  It needs to have the
word "files" in there.

     "But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory
      through our Lord Jesus Christ."
                              I Corinthians 15:57

Re: nscd [was] how do you run postgres without dns server

From
Ivan Dimitrov
Date:
Yes that is true too. I've checked it all. It apears that postgres tries to
resolve only through dns'...:(

I think that the problem is in the postgresql, but I can't reproduce the
problem anymore, because I was forced to install a caching dns server, and
I'm not allowed to play with it anymore (business must run).

The nscd problem:
I didn't post this before, because I thik this is not a postgres related
problem, but after a few hours playing with it I couldn't fix the problem
I have nscd + pgsql backend
I have
passwd:         compat [NOTFOUND=continue SUCCESS=return] pgsql
group:          compat [NOTFOUND=continue SUCCESS=return] pgsql

in /etc/nsswitch.conf
The logic of this, from what I could understand from the documentation is:
"Look in the standart files (/etc/passwd, /etc/group)" for username and
groups, if not found, search in pgsql databasee, else return successfull"

The problem is that when I stop the database and I try to `id realuser` it
gives:
# id root
Could not connect to database

The system is Debian sarge with packages:
nscd                  2.3.2.ds1-18
libnss-pgsql1  1.0.2-1.2
postgresql       7.4.5-3

На 10.11.2004 16:08 Oliver Elphick написа:

--

Hi! I'm your friendly neighbourhood signature virus.
Copy me to your signature file and help me spread!

Attachment

Re: nscd [was] how do you run postgres without dns server

From
"S. C."
Date:
Do you got "hosts: files dns" in your nsswitch.conf?
Otherwise , /etc/hosts won't be used.

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files dns