postgres gets slower after some while

From
Edgars
Date:
Hey,

make some futher testings regarding my previous post (subj) and
discovered that even on v7.4.2 is the same problem, it means the problem
is somewhere in the configuration. On another box this works ok.
The only way how i'm solving it for now is by dumping the whole
structure and data from DB, dropping it and creating again. Then
everything works for some time (till one day).

Please can someone assist me in this!
Edgars

Re: postgres gets slower after some while

From
Jaime Casanova
Date:
 --- Edgars <edzix19@inbox.lv> escribió:
> Hey,
>
> make some futher testings regarding my previous post
> (subj) and
> discovered that even on v7.4.2 is the same problem,
> it means the problem
> is somewhere in the configuration. On another box
> this works ok.
> The only way how i'm solving it for now is by
> dumping the whole
> structure and data from DB, dropping it and creating
> again. Then
> everything works for some time (till one day).

Are you running VACUUM periodically on the database?

It has a similar effect (it's not the same thing) that
when you drop and recreate the database.

Here is an explanation why VACUUM is necessary:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/maintenance.html

Here you can find some other performance-tips:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/performance-tips.html

regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: postgres gets slower after some while

From
Edgars
Date:
Jaime,

thanks for the response!

yes, i have tried this VACUMM, it gives some effect but only for some
time (2hours or so). Maybe you know why it is happening so?

Edgars

Jaime Casanova wrote:

> --- Edgars <edzix19@inbox.lv> escribió:
>

>>Hey,
>>
>>make some futher testings regarding my previous post
>>(subj) and
>>discovered that even on v7.4.2 is the same problem,
>>it means the problem
>>is somewhere in the configuration. On another box
>>this works ok.
>>The only way how i'm solving it for now is by
>>dumping the whole
>>structure and data from DB, dropping it and creating
>>again. Then
>>everything works for some time (till one day).
>>

>Are you running VACUUM periodically on the database?
>
>It has a similar effect (it's not the same thing) that
>when you drop and recreate the database.
>
>Here is an explanation why VACUUM is necessary:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/maintenance.html
>
>Here you can find some other performance-tips:
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/performance-tips.html
>
>regards,
>Jaime Casanova

>Información de Estados Unidos y América Latina, en Yahoo! Noticias.
>Visítanos en http://noticias.espanol.yahoo.com

>TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: postgres gets slower after some while

From
Harald Fuchs
Date:
In article <41877E56.4060504@inbox.lv>,
Edgars <edzix19@inbox.lv> writes:

> Jaime,

> thanks for the response!

> yes, i have tried this VACUMM, it gives some effect but only for some
> time (2hours or so). Maybe you know why it is happening so?

PostgreSQL can't run for long without a proper VACUUM policy.  Read
the docs under "Routine Database Maintenance Tasks".