Failover Solution for Postgres

From
John Allgood
Date:
Hello All

    I am looking for information on postgres failover solutions. I have
researched Dbmirror, DBcluster, and GFS along with others. This server
is running rh-postgresql-7.3.6 and Redhat ES 3.0 and I am trying to get
an idea of what is stable and reliable. What are people on this list
running for you failover solutions and what recommendations can you give
me. The server will be running about 9 databases anywhere form 350MB to
3GB. Looking to go live on the system 1st quarter 2005. I would love to
wait until postgres 8.0 is released and get the point-in-time recovery
along with the other features that will be in that version. But that
will have to wait.

Thanks

--
John Allgood - ESC
Systems Administrator

Re: Failover Solution for Postgres

From
Gaetano Mendola
Date:
John Allgood wrote:
> Hello All
>
>    I am looking for information on postgres failover solutions. I have
> researched Dbmirror, DBcluster, and GFS along with others. This server
> is running rh-postgresql-7.3.6 and Redhat ES 3.0 and I am trying to get
> an idea of what is stable and reliable. What are people on this list
> running for you failover solutions and what recommendations can you give
> me. The server will be running about 9 databases anywhere form 350MB to
> 3GB. Looking to go live on the system 1st quarter 2005. I would love to
> wait until postgres 8.0 is released and get the point-in-time recovery
> along with the other features that will be in that version. But that
> will have to wait.

We use the cluster RH solution.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola

Re: Failover Solution for Postgres

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
John Allgood wrote:
>     I am looking for information on postgres failover solutions.

Set up two machines with shared storage and have the machine monitor
each other with heartbeat.  If you don't want to invest in shared
storage hardware, set up DRBD to replicate the file system between the
two.  (I think the Red Hat cluster mentioned elsewhere amounts to the
first variant, more or less.)

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Failover Solution for Postgres

From
John Allgood
Date:
Hello

   I am thinking about using the Redhat Cluster software. Could you tell
me a about the hardware requirements and what type of configuration you
are running.

Thanks