Restoring pg_dump's made using COPY commands

From
"Mike Miller"
Date:
Hi,
  I'm trying to restore two dumps, one from 7.1.3 and the other from a 6.5.3
series PgSQL server.  These dumps were both made using standard 'pg_dump >
output' commands (specifying the host where needed on one of them).  When I
run the database restore by doing execute-file in psql, piping the file to
psql, or even attempting pg_restore (whcih doesn't work on these plain text
databases), I receive messages pertaining to:
  invalid command \N
  invalid command \.
  parse error at the end of line
  <occasionally messages about missing fields>

However this dump just came from a pg_dump, so it really should be working.
I've tried every combination of pg_dump and psql versions from 7.4.1, 7.3.3,
7.1.3, 6.5.3 in order to get this to work right without any luck.

Can anyone help me out with what is wrong?  I'm looking to make this a
backup method, and if I can't restore the data, it doesn't do me much good
(and I'm trying to restore some existing data).  Ultimately want to move
them all up to 7.4.x

Any ideas as to what causes these errors?  Anything I can do to fix the
output of pg_dump?

Thanks!
-Mike

Re: Restoring pg_dump's made using COPY commands

Date:
Mike Miller wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm trying to restore two dumps, one from 7.1.3 and the other from a 6.5.3
> series PgSQL server.  These dumps were both made using standard 'pg_dump >
> output' commands (specifying the host where needed on one of them).  When I
> run the database restore by doing execute-file in psql, piping the file to
> psql, or even attempting pg_restore (whcih doesn't work on these plain text
> databases), I receive messages pertaining to:
>   invalid command \N
>   invalid command \.
>   parse error at the end of line
>   <occasionally messages about missing fields>
>
> However this dump just came from a pg_dump, so it really should be working.
> I've tried every combination of pg_dump and psql versions from 7.4.1, 7.3.3,
> 7.1.3, 6.5.3 in order to get this to work right without any luck.
>
> Can anyone help me out with what is wrong?  I'm looking to make this a
> backup method, and if I can't restore the data, it doesn't do me much good
> (and I'm trying to restore some existing data).  Ultimately want to move
> them all up to 7.4.x
>
> Any ideas as to what causes these errors?  Anything I can do to fix the
> output of pg_dump?

Strange.  We used \N for NULLs way back in 6.5 and earlier.  I wonder if
you have carriage returns in the file accidentally.   Any way to see the
lines that are failing?

Re: Restoring pg_dump's made using COPY commands

From
"Benjamin Wragg"
Date:
I had this problem just yesterday. I found it was due to an error a few
lines before my copy command started.

>   I'm trying to restore two dumps, one from 7.1.3 and the other from a

> 6.5.3
> series PgSQL server.  These dumps were both made using standard
'pg_dump >
> output' commands (specifying the host where needed on one of them).
When I
> run the database restore by doing execute-file in psql, piping the
file to
> psql, or even attempting pg_restore (whcih doesn't work on these plain
text
> databases), I receive messages pertaining to:
>   invalid command \N
>   invalid command \.
>   parse error at the end of line
>   <occasionally messages about missing fields>
>
> However this dump just came from a pg_dump, so it really should be
> working.
> I've tried every combination of pg_dump and psql versions from 7.4.1,
7.3.3,
> 7.1.3, 6.5.3 in order to get this to work right without any luck.
>
> Can anyone help me out with what is wrong?  I'm looking to make this a
> backup method, and if I can't restore the data, it doesn't do me much
good
> (and I'm trying to restore some existing data).  Ultimately want to
move
> them all up to 7.4.x
>
> Any ideas as to what causes these errors?  Anything I can do to fix
> the
> output of pg_dump?

Strange.  We used \N for NULLs way back in 6.5 and earlier.  I wonder if
you have carriage returns in the file accidentally.   Any way to see the
lines that are failing?

  +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
19073