checking currval

From
Jodi Kanter
Date:
I cannot view the currval because it is not set in the session yet. Is there a way to set it without having to increment the value?
Thanks
Jodi
--

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter

Re: checking currval

From
Weiping He
Date:
select last_value from your_sequence;

Jodi Kanter wrote:

> I cannot view the currval because it is not set in the session yet. Is
> there a way to set it without having to increment the value?
> Thanks
> Jodi

Re: checking currval

From
Jodi Kanter
Date:
I tried that and it did not work. It won't be a problem in the code since it appears that we are always doing a nextval prior to currval, but I was just wondering about how to do it while in a psql session.

Jodi Kanter wrote:

I cannot view the currval because it is not set in the session yet. Is there a way to set it without having to increment the value?
Thanks
Jodi

_______________________________
Jodi L Kanter
BioInformatics Database Administrator
University of Virginia
(434) 924-2846
jkanter@virginia.edu

Re: checking currval

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 09:55:51 -0400,
  Jodi Kanter <jkanter@virginia.edu> wrote:
> I cannot view the currval because it is not set in the session yet. Is
> there a way to set it without having to increment the value?

What value do you expect to see and why do you want to see it?

Re: checking currval

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
What flavor Postgresql are you running?  That works on both my 7.2.x boxes
and my 7.3 boxes.  If you're running anything older than 7.2.x, you might
wanna upgrade before asking for help, since folks tend to assume you're
running at least 7.2 around here.

Note that this IS NOT TRANSACTION safe.  If two processes do this at the
same time and operate on that number, you can have a race condition that
will cause you problems.

Use the nextval,setval,currval functions for transaction safe sequence
work.