vacuum locks up database

From
jonesbl@WellsFargo.COM
Date:
Postgres ver. 7.3.1 on HPUX:

I have a fairly large database. My big table has about 32,000,000 rows with
3 indexes. When I run vacuumdb and it gets to the big table, it churns for
about 3 hours and starts blocking other database users. Simple inserts into
that table timeout after 15 minutes.

I have increased vacuum_mem = 23768 and had no effect on the problem.

I have nice'd the psql client -19, but the resulting postgres process is
still running at it's original priority.

Is there anyway to force vacuum to run more as a background job and not
block others from accessing the database during the vacuum process?

What are the trade-offs for pushing vacuum_mem up even higher? Would that
help?

Bill Jones
Systems Architect
Middleware Services
Wells Fargo Services Company
Office --415.243.1364
PCS -- 415.254.3831 (4152543831@mobile.att.net)

Views expressed are mine. Only in unusual circumstances are they shared by
my employer.

Re: vacuum locks up database

Date:
jonesbl@WellsFargo.COM writes:
> Is there anyway to force vacuum to run more as a background job and not
> block others from accessing the database during the vacuum process?

Vacuum without the FULL option won't block others.

            regards, tom lane

md5 in postgres 7.3

From
Kris Kiger
Date:
Is there a string function/operator in pg 7.3 that will allow me to see
what a string encoded with md5 results in?  I've seen on postgres'
website that 7.4 is supporting an operator md5('string') that returns
the md5 equivelant of the string in hexadecimal.  Thanks

Kris

Re: md5 in postgres 7.3

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Kris Kiger wrote:
> Is there a string function/operator in pg 7.3 that will allow me to see
> what a string encoded with md5 results in?  I've seen on postgres'
> website that 7.4 is supporting an operator md5('string') that returns
> the md5 equivelant of the string in hexadecimal.  Thanks

See contrib/pgcrypto

Joe

Re: md5 in postgres 7.3

Date:
Sure, see /contrib/pgcrypto in your source tree.