users work now with PostgreSQL

From
"Michael B. Babakov"
Date:
Good day!

How to look what users work now with PostgreSQL?

Good luck,
    Michael

---
e-mail: M.Babakov@sochi.net.ru
http://sochi.net.ru/~mike

Re: users work now with PostgreSQL

From
"Ross J. Reedstrom"
Date:
It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
give you what you want:

On my Debian linux box, I do something like:

reedstrm@cooker:~$ ps ax | grep '[/]postgres '
18737 ?        S      0:02 /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster -b /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres -B 128 -D
/var/lib/postgres/data-d 2 -i -o -E
 8696 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres localhost reedstrm reedstrm idle

 8697 ?        S      0:00 /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres 192.168.1.190 reedstrm idas idle

reedstrm@cooker:~$

This shows you the postmaster, and two clients connected: Both are
user 'reedstrm' one is connected to database 'reedstrm' and is a local
conenction, the other to 'idas' from a remote machine (I faked the IP).
Both are currently idle.

The odd form of the grep argument is just to filter out the psql client,
and the grep process itself. If you want something completely automated,
say to use in a script of some sort, I'd go with (note that the exact
syntax depends on your version of unix):

reedstrm@cooker:~$ ps ax | grep '[/]usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres' |
grep -v postmaster | awk '{print $6,$7,$8,$9}'

localhost reedstrm reedstrm idle
192.168.1.190 reedstrm idas idle

Ross

--
Open source code is like a natural resource, it's the result of providing
food and sunshine to programmers, and then staying out of their way.

Date:
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 10:25:43PM +0300, Michael B. Babakov wrote:

> On 12-Dec-00 Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> > It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
> > give you what you want:
>
>  Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write user
> in 'ps' command.
>  I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.

Ah, I vaguely remember some talk about setting the command line being
expensive on some of the *BSDs. It's in the hackers archives a few months
back. You'll have to wait for a FreeBSD person to tell you the details.

Ross

Date:
On 12-Dec-00 Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
> give you what you want:

 Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write user
in 'ps' command.
 I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.

 I'm make:

1. In src/include/config.h:

#define ELOG_TIMESTAMPS

gmake

2. In data/pg_options:

verbose=1
hostlookup

3. Running postgresql as:

#!/usr/local/bin/bash

export LC_COLLATE=ru_SU.KOI8-R
export LC_CTYPE=ru_SU.KOI8-R

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl -D /usr/local/pgsql/data  -o \
 "-o -F -B 256 -i" start \
 2>&1 | /home/mike/program/perl/pg_user/filter.pl > /usr/local/pgsql/errlog &

4. /home/mike/program/perl/pg_user/filter.pl:

#!/usr/bin/perl
$| = 1;
while(<STDIN>) {
        print $_ if /started/ || / exit/;
};

 'grep' command buffered output (?) and posting filtered message more laters.

Some more ideas?

P.S. Sorry, for my bad english. :(

Good luck,
    Michael

---

Date:
> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 10:25:43PM +0300, Michael B. Babakov wrote:
> >
> > On 12-Dec-00 Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> > > It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
> > > give you what you want:
> >
> >  Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write user
> > in 'ps' command.
> >  I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.
>
> Ah, I vaguely remember some talk about setting the command line being
> expensive on some of the *BSDs. It's in the hackers archives a few months
> back. You'll have to wait for a FreeBSD person to tell you the details.

It should be working.  There is a configure flag that I think controls
it, and on 7.1 it will work by default.

Date:
On 12-Dec-00 Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 10:25:43PM +0300, Michael B. Babakov wrote:
>> >
>> >  Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write user
>> > in 'ps' command.
>> >  I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.
>>

> It should be working.  There is a configure flag that I think controls
> it, and on 7.1 it will work by default.

Please, prompt what flag and where about it it is possible to read?

С уважением,
  Михаил Бабаков

--------------------------------
 Телефон: (8622) 919-595
 e-mail: M.Babakov@sochi.net.ru
 ICQ: 16442739

Re: users work now with PostgreSQL

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Michael B. Babakov writes:

> On 12-Dec-00 Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
> > It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
> > give you what you want:
>
>  Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write user
> in 'ps' command.
>  I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.

Doesn't work on FreeBSD 4.* in PostgreSQL 7.0.*.  Sorry.

Date:
On 13-Dec-00 Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Michael B. Babakov writes:
>

>> On 12-Dec-00 Ross J. Reedstrom wrote:
>> > It's encoded in the process environment, so the 'ps' command will
>> > give you what you want:
>>
>>  Yes! For version < 7.0.2 it's right. After 7.0.2 postgresql don't write
>>  user
>> in 'ps' command.
>>  I'm use FreeBSD 4.2.
>
> Doesn't work on FreeBSD 4.* in PostgreSQL 7.0.*.  Sorry.

 Thanks! I have described my solution of this problem. Now I wait for an
release of version 7.1. :)

Good luck,
    Michael

---