PostgresSQL 9.2 Installation

From
Vanukuri Pravallika
Date:
Hi Team,

I have installed "PostgreSQL 9.2 in my local machine". And I am trying to execute the below statement.
statement:
"DECLARE v_num number".

And I am getting the below error:
 type "number" does not exist.

And its not supporting any oracle data types functions.As I knew "PostgressSQL9.2" supports pl/sql data types and functions.

 Kindly suggest what can be the issue and how to go about it

v.pravallika
Tata Consultancy Services
Mailto: vanukuri.pravallika@tcs.com
Website: http://www.tcs.com
Experience certainty. IT Services
Business Solutions
Outsourcing

=====-----=====-----=====
and any attachments. Thank you

Re: PostgresSQL 9.2 Installation

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
On 13/02/2013 07:27, Vanukuri Pravallika wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I have installed "PostgreSQL 9.2 in my local machine". And I am trying
> to execute the below statement.
> statement:
> "*DECLARE v_num number".*
>
> And I am getting the below error:
> * type "number" does not exist.*
>
> And its not supporting any oracle data types functions.As I
> knew "PostgressSQL9.2" supports pl/sql data types and functions.
>
>  Kindly suggest what can be the issue and how to go about it

You probably want the NUMERIC type. The data types available in pl/pgsql
are the same as for plain SQL:
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/datatype.html

Ray.

--