wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin

From
Michael Pfütz
my wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin

The loading and processing of large tables with a lot of content (text>
1kb) takes otherwise extremely long.

Thank you.

Michael

Re: wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Michael Pfütz <pfuetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> my wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin

I have no idea what that means.

> The loading and processing of large tables with a lot of content (text> 1kb)
> takes otherwise extremely long.

If you're talking about the query tool, then it's intentionally
designed to load everything so you can accurately time queries and
tune them.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
Am 31.10.2012 10:03, schrieb Dave Page:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Michael Pfütz <pfuetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>> my wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin
> I have no idea what that means.
>
>> The loading and processing of large tables with a lot of content (text> 1kb)
>> takes otherwise extremely long.
> If you're talking about the query tool, then it's intentionally
> designed to load everything so you can accurately time queries and
> tune them.

Hi,

I'm talking about the Edit Grid tool.

When I save a lot of entries in a table with long XML or text data and I
look at the data, then the editing takes very long.
I think about a mode in which the row data is only loaded by editing.
Otherwise, up to a certain length after this length shows '...'

e.g.
Data='blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla'
shows='blablablablablablablablablabla ...'
Edit='blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla'

Date:
On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 7:35 AM, Michael Pfütz <pfuetz@gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 31.10.2012 10:03, schrieb Dave Page:
>
>> On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Michael Pfütz <pfuetz@gmx.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> my wish: Data Collapse / Expand Mode looks like phpPgAdmin
>>
>> I have no idea what that means.
>>
>>> The loading and processing of large tables with a lot of content (text>
>>> 1kb)
>>> takes otherwise extremely long.
>>
>> If you're talking about the query tool, then it's intentionally
>> designed to load everything so you can accurately time queries and
>> tune them.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I'm talking about the Edit Grid tool.
>
> When I save a lot of entries in a table with long XML or text data and I
> look at the data, then the editing takes very long.
> I think about a mode in which the row data is only loaded by editing.
> Otherwise, up to a certain length after this length shows '...'
>
> e.g.
> Data='blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla'
> shows='blablablablablablablablablabla ...'
> Edit='blablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablablabla'

Ahh, OK. I see what you mean. I'm not sure how we could implement that
in pgAdmin at the moment. We'd have to keep a transaction open for the
duration of the edit session, and run a query to populate the cell
every time someone tries to edit a text value (or view it in full).
It's much easier to do that in phpPgAdmin I suspect as the entire
dataset can be kept server-side more easily (in PHP, not the
database), and only be sent to the client when needed.