super slow query editor when in NX session

From
Linos
Date:
Hi,   i don't understand why can be this problem happening but when in my computer
i have opened a remote NX session the PgAdmin3 query editor becomes very
unresponsive and slow, the editor does not get all the keystrokes either, when i
close the NX session all goes fine again.

someone knows what could be happening or how could i get more information to fix
this strange problem?

Regards,
Miguel Angel.

Re: super slow query editor when in NX session

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 20:43 +0200, Linos wrote:
> Hi,
>     i don't understand why can be this problem happening but when in my computer
> i have opened a remote NX session the PgAdmin3 query editor becomes very
> unresponsive and slow, the editor does not get all the keystrokes either, when i
> close the NX session all goes fine again.
>
> someone knows what could be happening or how could i get more information to fix
> this strange problem?

I guess this is because of the syntax highlighting. We really need to
add an option to disable it. If I give you a patch, can you compile
pgAdmin and test the patch?

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Date:
On 28/09/12 19:46, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 20:43 +0200, Linos wrote:
>> Hi,
>>     i don't understand why can be this problem happening but when in my computer
>> i have opened a remote NX session the PgAdmin3 query editor becomes very
>> unresponsive and slow, the editor does not get all the keystrokes either, when i
>> close the NX session all goes fine again.
>>
>> someone knows what could be happening or how could i get more information to fix
>> this strange problem?
>>

> I guess this is because of the syntax highlighting. We really need to
> add an option to disable it. If I give you a patch, can you compile
> pgAdmin and test the patch?

Of course :), send me the patch and i will test it, thanks!

Still i don't get how syntax highlighting (it's a nice feature) get so slower
because i have a remote session opened, it's not that i launch pgamdin3 in the
nx remote session, my pgadmin3 it's launched in local computer but get unusable
if a remote nx session is opened at the same time.

Date:
On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 19:50 +0200, Linos wrote:
> On 28/09/12 19:46, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> > On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 20:43 +0200, Linos wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>     i don't understand why can be this problem happening but when in my computer
> >> i have opened a remote NX session the PgAdmin3 query editor becomes very
> >> unresponsive and slow, the editor does not get all the keystrokes either, when i
> >> close the NX session all goes fine again.
> >>
> >> someone knows what could be happening or how could i get more information to fix
> >> this strange problem?
> >>

> > I guess this is because of the syntax highlighting. We really need to
> > add an option to disable it. If I give you a patch, can you compile
> > pgAdmin and test the patch?
> >

> Of course :), send me the patch and i will test it, thanks!
>
> Still i don't get how syntax highlighting (it's a nice feature) get so slower
> because i have a remote session opened, it's not that i launch pgamdin3 in the
> nx remote session, my pgadmin3 it's launched in local computer but get unusable
> if a remote nx session is opened at the same time.

It appears that a patch has been applied on pgadmin's code repository
that should fix your issue. IIRC, it's been commited to 1.16 too. So,
when 1.16.1 is out, you should check if it works better for you.

--

Date:
On 19/11/12 22:10, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 19:50 +0200, Linos wrote:

>>> I guess this is because of the syntax highlighting. We really need to
>>> add an option to disable it. If I give you a patch, can you compile
>>> pgAdmin and test the patch?
>>>

>> Of course :), send me the patch and i will test it, thanks!
>>
>> Still i don't get how syntax highlighting (it's a nice feature) get so slower
>> because i have a remote session opened, it's not that i launch pgamdin3 in the
>> nx remote session, my pgadmin3 it's launched in local computer but get unusable
>> if a remote nx session is opened at the same time.
>>

> It appears that a patch has been applied on pgadmin's code repository
> that should fix your issue. IIRC, it's been commited to 1.16 too. So,
> when 1.16.1 is out, you should check if it works better for you.

Thanks! i will try it ASAP.

Date:
On 19/11/12 22:10, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 19:50 +0200, Linos wrote:

>>> I guess this is because of the syntax highlighting. We really need to
>>> add an option to disable it. If I give you a patch, can you compile
>>> pgAdmin and test the patch?
>>>

>> Of course :), send me the patch and i will test it, thanks!
>>
>> Still i don't get how syntax highlighting (it's a nice feature) get so slower
>> because i have a remote session opened, it's not that i launch pgamdin3 in the
>> nx remote session, my pgadmin3 it's launched in local computer but get unusable
>> if a remote nx session is opened at the same time.
>>

> It appears that a patch has been applied on pgadmin's code repository
> that should fix your issue. IIRC, it's been commited to 1.16 too. So,
> when 1.16.1 is out, you should check if it works better for you.

Hi!,still same problem on 1.16.1

Date:
On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 13:28 +0100, Linos wrote:
> On 19/11/12 22:10, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> >> Of course :), send me the patch and i will test it, thanks!
> >>
> >> Still i don't get how syntax highlighting (it's a nice feature) get so slower
> >> because i have a remote session opened, it's not that i launch pgamdin3 in the
> >> nx remote session, my pgadmin3 it's launched in local computer but get unusable
> >> if a remote nx session is opened at the same time.
> >>

> > It appears that a patch has been applied on pgadmin's code repository
> > that should fix your issue. IIRC, it's been commited to 1.16 too. So,
> > when 1.16.1 is out, you should check if it works better for you.
> >

> Hi!,
>     still same problem on 1.16.1

Crap, that means Dave's patch wasn't about your issue. Not sure what
cause your issue.

--

Date:
On 24/12/12 11:12, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-12-11 at 13:28 +0100, Linos wrote:

>>> It appears that a patch has been applied on pgadmin's code repository
>>> that should fix your issue. IIRC, it's been commited to 1.16 too. So,
>>> when 1.16.1 is out, you should check if it works better for you.
>>>

>> Hi!,
>>     still same problem on 1.16.1
>>

> Crap, that means Dave's patch wasn't about your issue. Not sure what
> cause your issue.

This is a annoying problem, i have to launch my nx sessions inside a virtual
machine to PgAdmin be usable but i can live with it, thanks.

Date:
On Mon, 2012-12-24 at 11:38 +0100, Linos wrote:
> On 24/12/12 11:12, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> >> Hi!,
> >>     still same problem on 1.16.1
> >>

> > Crap, that means Dave's patch wasn't about your issue. Not sure what
> > cause your issue.
> >

> This is a annoying problem, i have to launch my nx sessions inside a virtual
> machine to PgAdmin be usable but i can live with it, thanks.

Yeah, I completely understand. I don't get into the issue, so it's hard
for me to fix this. My hope was that Dave's fix would also fix your
issue, but I was wrong.