Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
It would be very useful to be able to export the results of a query as select into statements, at least in the case
whenthere is only one table in the from clause.<br /><br />

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
What is the proper way to make a feature request?<br /><br />

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the proper way to make a feature request?

Email the list, as you've done.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 27/10/2010 01:12, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is the proper way to make a feature request?
>
> Email the list, as you've done.

Usually, if I find it interesting, I create a ticket to keep track of
it. But honestly, I don't understand what is the feature that you want.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 27 October 2010 11:42, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 27/10/2010 01:12, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Michael Shapiro <mshapiro51@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> What is the proper way to make a feature request?
>>
>> Email the list, as you've done.
>>

> Usually, if I find it interesting, I create a ticket to keep track of
> it. But honestly, I don't understand what is the feature that you want.

I think he wants to be able to use:

SELECT col_a, col_c, col_g FROM my_table LIMIT 3;

to produce something like

INSERT INTO my_table (col_a, col_c, col_g) VALUES (1, 'stuff', true);
INSERT INTO my_table (col_a, col_c, col_g) VALUES (2, 'things', true);
INSERT INTO my_table (col_a, col_c, col_g) VALUES (6, 'misc', false);

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
wouldbe very useful to be able to export the results of a query as select into statements, at least in the case when
wronglist. When I sent the question about how to ask for a feature, I didn't change the subject, but also didn't
includethe request.<br /><br />Thom Brown has it basically right. I want to be able to take the results of what is in
thegrid editor and produce insert stmts. Perhaps an option under Edit Data/Tools?<br /><br /><div
class="gmail_quote">OnWed, Oct 27, 2010 at 5:46 AM, Thom Brown <span dir="ltr"><<a
0pt0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;"><div class="im">On 27 October 2010
11:42,Guillaume Lelarge <<a href="mailto:guillaume@lelarge.info">guillaume@lelarge.info</a>> wrote:<br /> > Le
27/10/201001:12, Dave Page a écrit :<br /> >> On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 1:47 AM, Michael Shapiro <<a
href="mailto:mshapiro51@gmail.com">mshapiro51@gmail.com</a>>wrote:<br /> >>> What is the proper way to make
Usually,if I find it interesting, I create a ticket to keep track of<br /> > it. But honestly, I don't understand
col_g)VALUES (1, 'stuff', true);<br /> INSERT INTO my_table (col_a, col_c, col_g) VALUES (2, 'things', true);<br />

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Julius Tuskenis
Date:
2010.10.27 15:22, Michael Shapiro rašė:
> Thom Brown has it basically right. I want to be able to take the
> results of what is in the grid editor and produce insert stmts.
Yes - this kind of tool would be handy in situation when while
developing applications one uses pgAdmin and later there is a need to
generate SQL script of changes. Now one is simply forced to write
inserts manually (that is a bit annoying)...

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas

Date:
On 27 October 2010 14:08, Julius Tuskenis <julius@nsoft.lt> wrote:
> 2010.10.27 15:22, Michael Shapiro rašė:
>>
>> Thom Brown has it basically right. I want to be able to take the results
>> of what is in the grid editor and produce insert stmts.
>
> Yes - this kind of tool would be handy in situation when while developing
> applications one uses pgAdmin and later there is a need to generate SQL
> script of changes. Now one is simply forced to write inserts manually (that
> is a bit annoying)...

I guess it also depends on how smart you want it to be.  For example,
if you have a NOT NULL column without a DEFAULT value, which you
haven't included in your select statement, the inserts it generates
won't be valid, at least not for that exact table.  But maybe that's a
bit of a corner case, and plus it might not be a problem, and the user
should probably know better anyway.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion
IRC (freenode): dark_ixion
Registered Linux user: #516935

Re: Feature request -- export as select into stmts

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I think trying to do this in the query tool (with arbitrary selects) is problematic.

All I really am asking for is that the edit grid be able to produce the inserts based on the data it has displayed in the grid.

Date:
Le 27/10/2010 07:38, Michael Shapiro a écrit :
> I think trying to do this in the query tool (with arbitrary selects) is
> problematic.
>
> All I really am asking for is that the edit grid be able to produce the
> inserts based on the data it has displayed in the grid.

Which is already a lot of work.

Anyway, as it seems some would need it, I added a ticket for it
(http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/271).

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com