Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
Mario Splivalo
Date:
I'm wondering how many people is actually using Graphical Query Builder.

Coming from MSSQL (last version used was MSSQL2000), with it's
Enterprise Manager and Query Builder... I never used it. I always found
it much easier/faster to type the query in Query Analyzer - as I'm doing
today, using the SQL window in PGAdmin or typing query in pure psql.

But, I guess that is just me... that is why I am wondering how many
people is actually using such things as Graphical Query Builders?
Mike

Re: Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
Fernando Hevia
Date:
Well... I don't use it either. The only place I have used anything like a graphical query builder (or wizard) was in MS
Access,but thats just because of the crazy sql syntax that thing has.<br /><br />Instead of the query builder feature I
MarioSplivalo <span dir="ltr"><<a href="mailto:mario.splivalo@megafon.hr">mario.splivalo@megafon.hr</a>></span>
wrote:<br/><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);
padding-left:1ex;"> I'm wondering how many people is actually using Graphical Query Builder.<br /><br /> Coming from
MSSQL(last version used was MSSQL2000), with it's Enterprise Manager and Query Builder... I never used it. I always
foundit much easier/faster to type the query in Query Analyzer - as I'm doing today, using the SQL window in PGAdmin or
typingquery in pure psql.<br /><br /> But, I guess that is just me... that is why I am wondering how many people is
href="http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-support"

Re: Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
Florent THOMAS
Date:
Hy,<br /><br /> I work with multiple sql windows but some times for complex query that join multiple tables, I use the
querydesigner for selecting the table an the appropriate join. <br /> Then the aggregate, restrictions and projections
are build only in text.<br /><br /> What is amazing is that for jasperreport, I work only with graphical view for
dimanche21 février 2010 à 13:10 -0300, Fernando Hevia a écrit :<br /><blockquote type="CITE"> Well... I don't use it
either.The only place I have used anything like a graphical query builder (or wizard) was in MS Access, but thats just
becauseof the crazy sql syntax that thing has.<br /><br /> Instead of the query builder feature I rather had many sql
wonderinghow many people is actually using Graphical Query Builder.<br /><br /> Coming from MSSQL (last version used
wasMSSQL2000), with it's Enterprise Manager and Query Builder... I never used it. I always found it much easier/faster
totype the query in Query Analyzer - as I'm doing today, using the SQL window in PGAdmin or typing query in pure
psql.<br/><br /> But, I guess that is just me... that is why I am wondering how many people is actually using such
color="#888888">Sentvia pgadmin-support mailing list (<a
type="CITE"><br/></blockquote>

Re: Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
Michael Shapiro
Date:
I don't use it. I think it might be useful for a user that is not familiar with the database.  I would use
auto-completemore if it would complete column names, but it only seems to complete schemas/tables/views. So in the end,
dir="ltr"><<ahref="mailto:mario.splivalo@megafon.hr">mario.splivalo@megafon.hr</a>></span> wrote:<br
/><blockquoteclass="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex;
padding-left:1ex;"> I'm wondering how many people is actually using Graphical Query Builder.<br /><br /> Coming from
MSSQL(last version used was MSSQL2000), with it's Enterprise Manager and Query Builder... I never used it. I always
foundit much easier/faster to type the query in Query Analyzer - as I'm doing today, using the SQL window in PGAdmin or
typingquery in pure psql.<br /><br /> But, I guess that is just me... that is why I am wondering how many people is
href="http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgadmin-support"

Re: Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
"Sufficool, Stanley"
I think it would be more useful with an animated paper clip that suggests what I'm trying to do.

Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 21/02/2010 17:10, Fernando Hevia a écrit :
> Well... I don't use it either. The only place I have used anything like a
> graphical query builder (or wizard) was in MS Access, but thats just because
> of the crazy sql syntax that thing has.

I don't use it either. But it doesn't mean we don't need it. Many of my
customers like this feature, even if they don't use it :)

> Instead of the query builder feature I rather had many sql window tabs.

You're surely not alone.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: Graphical Query Builder - usage stats?

From
Julius Tuskenis
Date:
Hello,

I don't usually use the builder, but sometimes it is convenient for long
table/column names having queries. I'd like to propose some improvements
to it:
1. Why not join the selected tables if they are related over foreign
key? Usually well designed database uses FK to keep relations in order,
so when you drop a new table to a query builder window there could be
checked if the table can be linked to the already used tables in builder.
2. I think, that  tables should be linked using join statement, not the
where clause. That way we could have left, right and inner joins easily.

I think these 2 impovements would make the builder more usable :).

Thank you for the tool anyway. Great job :)

--
Julius Tuskenis
Programavimo skyriaus vadovas

Date:
Le 15/03/2010 09:54, Julius Tuskenis a écrit :
> [...]
> I don't usually use the builder, but sometimes it is convenient for long
> table/column names having queries. I'd like to propose some improvements
> to it:
> 1. Why not join the selected tables if they are related over foreign
> key? Usually well designed database uses FK to keep relations in order,
> so when you drop a new table to a query builder window there could be
> checked if the table can be linked to the already used tables in builder.
> 2. I think, that  tables should be linked using join statement, not the
> where clause. That way we could have left, right and inner joins easily.
>
> I think these 2 impovements would make the builder more usable :).

Sure, that would be interesting. I added a ticket to remember about your
feature request: http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/150 .

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com