Can non-superusers use PgAdminIII for non-admin tasks?

From
Ken Banyas
Date:
Greetings,

I have version 1.8.4 on Windows XP SP3.
My Postgresql is 8.3, installed on the same Windows box.
Everything works fine.
However, I tried logging into Pgadmin as a non-superuser, but was unable
to do so.
This non-superuser login works fine from the command line.
Correct entry is in pg_hba.conf.
Would I be correct in assuming that Pgadmin is meant for
"administration" only, not for day-to-day use by regular users?

Thanks.
Ken Banyas

Re: Can non-superusers use PgAdminIII for non-admin tasks?

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hi,

Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 à 17:47:10, Ken Banyas a écrit :
> [...]
> I have version 1.8.4 on Windows XP SP3.
> My Postgresql is 8.3, installed on the same Windows box.
> Everything works fine.
> However, I tried logging into Pgadmin as a non-superuser, but was unable
> to do so.
> This non-superuser login works fine from the command line.
> Correct entry is in pg_hba.conf.
> Would I be correct in assuming that Pgadmin is meant for
> "administration" only, not for day-to-day use by regular users?

No, you would be wrong. What error message have you got?

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Date:
Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 à 19:01:06, Ken Banyas a écrit :
> Guillaume,
>
> I receive NO error messages when attempting to connect to that server.
> The login screen does not give me an option to choose the user (kbanyas,
> in this case).

So you don't have an issue to connect to PostgreSQL via pgAdmin. You have an
issue to setup pgAdmin to connect as your unpriviledged user to PostgreSQL.

Launch pgAdmin. Right click on your server to get the contextual menu and
choose Properties. There is a field labelled Username. Put in it your
username. Click OK.

Next time you will connect to this server with pgAdmin, it'll ask the password
of this user.

Hope it helps.

--

Date:
Le mercredi 16 décembre 2009 à 22:05:23, Ken Banyas a écrit :
> I figured that out shortly after I answered your post, Guillaume.
> However, that non-superuser can still manipulate objects in the postgres
> database, which I do not desire.
> Is there a way to NOT select a Maintenance DB when creating a new server
> connection?

No because it's the one used for the connection. But you're not forced to use
the postgres database as the maintenance DB.

> I have also tried using the DB Restriction field in the Server
> connection Properties box, but I cannot seem to get the syntax right.

Put: 'db1','db2'
to restrict the database to db1 and db2 only.

> I do not want the non-superuser to be able to see the postgres database.

Use another database for the maintenance DB, and restrict the database he can
see to all but postgres (which means you'll need to update the server
properties each time you add a new database).

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com