Bug in v1.8.4 - AutoCompletion vs running query

From
"Horvath Gabor"
Date:
If I use autocompletion while a query started from the same edit
window is already running, the whole application freezes until the
query is finished, and a message appears in the message page reading:
********** Error **********
The query gets committed, its results remain.
The error message does not show up in the postgresql server logs,
though the server is set up to log error messages (and other error
messages are really logged).

In fact, any query run from anywhere other than an edit window while a
query started from anywhere in the same PgAdmin instance is already
running will freeze the whole application until either of the queries
is finished. The message "********** Error **********", however, only
appears in the case described above.

client:
PgAdminIII v.1.8.4
Windows XP
server:
postgresql v8.2.7
a linux machine

Regards,
Gabor.

Re: Bug in v1.8.4 - AutoCompletion vs running query

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 4:38 PM, Horvath Gabor <dueyduey@freemail.hu> wrote:
> If I use autocompletion while a query started from the same edit
> window is already running, the whole application freezes until the
> query is finished, and a message appears in the message page reading:
> ********** Error **********
> The query gets committed, its results remain.

There are other potential issues here - for example, error markers can
end up in the wrong place.

For now, I've disabled editing of the text altogether whilst a query
is running. I can't think of any particularly compelling use cases for
allowing that, but I'm open arguments.

--
Dave Page

Date:
>> If I use autocompletion while a query started from the same edit
>> window is already running, the whole application freezes until the
>> query is finished, and a message appears in the message page reading:
>> ********** Error **********
>> The query gets committed, its results remain.

[...]
> For now, I've disabled editing of the text altogether whilst a query
> is running. I can't think of any particularly compelling use cases for
> allowing that, but I'm open arguments.

Well, I definitely was editing the file while the query was running,
and I very often do, which, at least for me, is a strong argument for
not disabling it altogether ;-) (It's really a choice between a messy
lot of windows with parallel-running queries vs. a perspicuous single
sql file (with editing while querying), which choice should be made by
the user depending on their taste and the actual problem they are to
solve, I guess).

Is it so much more difficult to disable just the Autocompletion
feature while a query is already running? I have been editing
already-querying text for quite a while and this is the only really
annoying issue I encountered since the fix enabling running parallel
queries in separate windows.

> There are other potential issues here - for example, error markers can
> end up in the wrong place.
Well, I don't think anyone would blame the app for that. If I change
the text, I don't expect the error markers to appear in the right
place.
So I think it's safe to just disable Autocompletion until the query returns.
If it's impossible, here are a few features I would rather keep
together with the bug than lose while getting rid of the bug:
* selecting and copying text while a query is running (so that I can
do the editing in another window)
* saving the file while a query is running
* saving the history while a query is running
* opening another Edit Window while a query is running

I cannot build from source and I could not find a built executable of
the head revision so far, so I cannot check whether "disabling editing
of the text altogether" disables any of these, but if it does, I would
prefer the bug.

Date:
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Horvath Gabor <dueyduey@freemail.hu> wrote:
> Is it so much more difficult to disable just the Autocompletion
> feature while a query is already running?

No, but I was worried about the error handling. You've convinced me
(along with some testing) that it's not really an issue, so I've
changed it to disable autocomplete.

--
Dave Page