Problem using Slony-I with pgadmin 1.6.2

From
"Kandy Wong"
Date:
Hi,

I'm using pgadmin3-1.6.2, slony1-1.1.5 with PostgreSQL 8.2.5 on SL4.  I
installed thru RPMs.
And when I tried to do replication and create node cluster, I saw 'Slony-I
creation scripts not available; only joining possible.' at the status bar.
I'd like to know what's the problem and is there a way to fix it?
Thank you.

Kandy

Re: Problem using Slony-I with pgadmin 1.6.2

From
"Dave Page"

Under Flle->Options, set the Slony path to a directory containing the Slony sql scripts.

Upgrade to pgAdmin 1.8 first though - it has important bug fixes in the slony support.

Also, upgrade to Slony 1.2.12. 1.1.X is old and unsupported.

Regards, Dave

Re: Problem using Slony-I with pgadmin 1.6.2

From
"Kandy Wong"
>> I'm using pgadmin3-1.6.2, slony1-1.1.5 with PostgreSQL 8.2.5 on SL4.  I
>> installed thru RPMs.
>> And when I tried to do replication and create node cluster, I saw
>> 'Slony-I
>> creation scripts not available; only joining possible.' at the status
>> bar.
>> I'd like to know what's the problem and is there a way to fix it?
>> Thank you.
>>

> Under Flle->Options, set the Slony path to a directory containing the
> Slony sql scripts.
>
> Upgrade to pgAdmin 1.8 first though - it has important bug fixes in the
> slony support.
>
> Also, upgrade to Slony 1.2.12. 1.1.X is old and unsupported.
>
> Regards, Dave

I did try to build pgAdmin3-1.8.0 from source but couldn't get it to work
and so as for slony 1.2 due to some library and dependency problems and
that's why I have to use pgAdmin 1.6.2 and slony 1.1.5.
I'm using SL4 so actually are there any RPMs available for SL4/RHEL4/CentOS4?

Date:
Kandy Wong wrote:
> I did try to build pgAdmin3-1.8.0 from source but couldn't get it to work
> and so as for slony 1.2 due to some library and dependency problems and
> that's why I have to use pgAdmin 1.6.2 and slony 1.1.5.
> I'm using SL4 so actually are there any RPMs available for SL4/RHEL4/CentOS4?

Dunno what SL4 is, but we have RPMs for Fedora 7, RHEL 5 and OpenSuse at
http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.0/. Does the F7 one
work?

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page wrote:
> Kandy Wong wrote:
>
>> I did try to build pgAdmin3-1.8.0 from source but couldn't get it to work
>> and so as for slony 1.2 due to some library and dependency problems and
>> that's why I have to use pgAdmin 1.6.2 and slony 1.1.5.
>> I'm using SL4 so actually are there any RPMs available for SL4/RHEL4/CentOS4?
>>

> Dunno what SL4 is, but we have RPMs for Fedora 7, RHEL 5 and OpenSuse at
> http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/pgadmin3/release/v1.8.0/. Does the F7 one
> work
SL4 is Scientific Linux 4 and it's like CentOS 4 which is a compatible
rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4.
The F7 RPM doen't work for me.
So when I tried to add a New Slony-I Cluster, the following error window
pop up:

An error has occurred:
ERROR:  incompatible library "/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so": missing magic block
HINT:  Extension libraries are required to use the PG_MODULE_MAGIC macro.

Is there a way to fix this problem?

Date:
Kandy Wong wrote:
> SL4 is Scientific Linux 4 and it's like CentOS 4 which is a compatible
> rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The F7 RPM doen't work for me.
> So when I tried to add a New Slony-I Cluster, the following error window
> pop up:
>
> An error has occurred:
> ERROR:  incompatible library "/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so": missing magic block
> HINT:  Extension libraries are required to use the PG_MODULE_MAGIC macro.
>
> Is there a way to fix this problem?

That means the version of Slony you have is not built for the version of
PostgreSQL you are running. You need to find (or build) a Slony RPM for
your specific version of PostgreSQL.

Regards, Dave

Dave Page wrote:
> Kandy Wong wrote:
>
>> SL4 is Scientific Linux 4 and it's like CentOS 4 which is a compatible
>> rebuild of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4. The F7 RPM doen't work for me.
>> So when I tried to add a New Slony-I Cluster, the following error window
>> pop up:
>>
>> An error has occurred:
>> ERROR:  incompatible library "/usr/lib/pgsql/xxid.so": missing magic block
>> HINT:  Extension libraries are required to use the PG_MODULE_MAGIC macro.
>>
>> Is there a way to fix this problem?
>>

> That means the version of Slony you have is not built for the version of
> PostgreSQL you are running. You need to find (or build) a Slony RPM for
> your specific version of PostgreSQL
Alright, so I've built SlonyI-1.2 from source and when I tried to add a
New Slony-I Cluster again, the following error window pop up:

An error has occurred:
ERROR:  RETURN cannot have a parameter in function returning void at or
near "1"
LINE 7000:    return 1 ;

What is that mean? and how to solve this?
Thank you.

Kandy

Re: Problem using Slony-I with pgadmin 1.6.2

From
"Dave Page"

If you're on Slony 1.2.12, and a modern version of PostgreSQL, then I can think of 2 possibilities:

- This is one of the bugs in pgAdmin 1.6's Slony support. Solution - upgrade to 1.8.

- pgAdmin's Slony path (under File -> Options) is pointing to the old version of the Slony scripts, not the ones from
thenew version.

Regards, Dave