WinXP Hibernation problem

From
Steve Midgley
Date:
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a general problem but here's the steps I
undertook:

Running IBM T43 w/WinXP SP2 / current patches (+special patch for >1GB
hibernation)

Running PgAdmin 1.8 beta 5 connected to local pg server with sql window
open
Put computer into Hibernation
Woke it up
SQL window had results set displayed but no sql input window
Closed PgAdmin, upgraded to 1.8RC1
Reopened and same problem, but then I figured out that toggling
"View/Output Pane" off then on again fixed the view problem.

I'm not sure if this is related to the fact that I'm a dual monitor
setup (which sometimes also goes wonky on hibernation wakeup).

Maybe others can see if it's a general problem or just me? Basically
the sql input pane disappears when waking from hibernation on a laptop
with a sql window still open. If it's not as general as that, it may be
something to ignore.

If I find other info or better steps to repro, I'll post again.

Thanks for such an excellent product and for your time and energy in
making it so.

Sincerely,

Steve

Re: WinXP Hibernation problem

From
Dave Page
Date:
Steve Midgley wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if this is a general problem but here's the steps I undertook:
>
> Running IBM T43 w/WinXP SP2 / current patches (+special patch for >1GB
> hibernation)
>
> Running PgAdmin 1.8 beta 5 connected to local pg server with sql window
> open
> Put computer into Hibernation
> Woke it up
> SQL window had results set displayed but no sql input window
> Closed PgAdmin, upgraded to 1.8RC1
> Reopened and same problem, but then I figured out that toggling
> "View/Output Pane" off then on again fixed the view problem.
>
> I'm not sure if this is related to the fact that I'm a dual monitor
> setup (which sometimes also goes wonky on hibernation wakeup).
>
> Maybe others can see if it's a general problem or just me? Basically the
> sql input pane disappears when waking from hibernation on a laptop with
> a sql window still open. If it's not as general as that, it may be
> something to ignore.

Unfortunately my laptop doesn't seem to support hibernation (I'm running
XP Pro on a MacBook Pro) so I can't test this. Anyone else able to
reproduce it, preferrably with a debugger to hand?

> Thanks for such an excellent product and for your time and energy in
> making it so.

you're welcome.

Regards, Dave

Re: WinXP Hibernation problem

From
"Joris Dobbelsteen"
>> I'm not sure if this is a general problem but here's the
>steps I undertook:
>>
>> Running IBM T43 w/WinXP SP2 / current patches (+special
>patch for >1GB
>> hibernation)
>>
>> Running PgAdmin 1.8 beta 5 connected to local pg server with sql
>> window open Put computer into Hibernation Woke it up SQL window had
>> results set displayed but no sql input window Closed
>PgAdmin, upgraded
>> to 1.8RC1 Reopened and same problem, but then I figured out that
>> toggling "View/Output Pane" off then on again fixed the view problem.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is related to the fact that I'm a dual monitor
>> setup (which sometimes also goes wonky on hibernation wakeup).
>>
>> Maybe others can see if it's a general problem or just me? Basically
>> the sql input pane disappears when waking from hibernation
>on a laptop
>> with a sql window still open. If it's not as general as that, it may
>> be something to ignore.
>
>Unfortunately my laptop doesn't seem to support hibernation
>(I'm running XP Pro on a MacBook Pro) so I can't test this.
>Anyone else able to reproduce it, preferrably with a debugger to hand?

You should be able to enable it in
"Control Panel"
-> "Power Options"
-> "Hibernate" tab
-> "Enable hibernation"

Unfortunally I'm running pgAdmin III 1.6.3 and put my laptop (IBM T60
with ATI video card) into sleep regarly (only reboot when the thing
hangs itself up after ripping out all my external hardware too fast).

Steve, can you check the problem exists with standby too? That should
work on your laptop (the university where I study had issued such
laptops to their students some years ago and they work fine with
standby). Alternatively you can try to make a system backup and try a
driver update, since the wonky multi-monitor seems scary.

>> Thanks for such an excellent product and for your time and energy in
>> making it so.
>
>you're welcome.

I don't have any disk space for hibernate, but with sleep this version
works as perfectly. I'll try the new version tomorrow. Issue is, the
current version works very well, thus I can only agree with Steve...

- Joris

Re: WinXP Hibernation problem

From
Steve Midgley
Date:
Thanks for the help. Now I'm even having trouble replicating on my
machine after restarting cleanly a few times. I tried everything I
could think of that I was doing on the machine that caused it to happen
but now it's working fine - so I think this is a Windows issue that
might victimize your software in some corner cases, but under normal
circumstances your product is returning from hibernation correctly.

Thanks for the look at the issue and I apologize for the goose chase.

Steve