Re : Re : Backup file not UTF-8 (introduced bug

From
Laurent ROCHE
Date:
Hi,

But the problem is that using pg_dump does not produce the same file format than PG Admin (re: SERIAL, see on of my
previouspost). So you are using the pg_dump routine when I use the command line: it's different anyway with different
options.

Have fun,
L@u
The Computing Froggy

----- Message d'origine ----
De : Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>
À : Laurent ROCHE <laurent_roche@yahoo.com>; "pgadmin-support@postgresql.org" <pgadmin-support@postgresql.org>
Envoyé le : Mercredi, 10 Janvier 2007, 9h46mn 16s
Objet : Re: Re : [pgadmin-support] Backup file not UTF-8 (introduced bug

Laurent ROCHE wrote:
> Well, something changed between the two versions ... as I don't get the file in the same format I used to have.

The only thing that's changed in the backup code since 1.6.0 is the
copyright comment and a line of code to center the dialogue over it's
parent.

The culprit is almost certainly pg_dump - try running it from the
command line and see what happens.

Regards, Dave

http://fr.answers.yahoo.com

Re: Re : Re : Backup file not UTF-8 (introduced

From
Dave Page
Date:
Laurent ROCHE wrote:
> Hi,
>
> But the problem is that using pg_dump does not produce the same file format than PG Admin (re: SERIAL, see on of my
previouspost). So you are using the pg_dump routine when I use the command line: it's different anyway with different
options.

How can it not produce the same file format - it calls pg_dump to do the
backup!!

As for the options, pgAdmin shows the command line it uses on the
messages tab when you run the backup so you can easily duplicate what
it's doing.

Regards, Dave

Re: Re : Re : Backup file not UTF-8 (introduced

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Dave Page a ecrit le 10/01/2007 10:56:
> Laurent ROCHE wrote:
>> But the problem is that using pg_dump does not produce the same file format than PG Admin (re: SERIAL, see on of my
previouspost). So you are using the pg_dump routine when I use the command line: it's different anyway with different
options.

> How can it not produce the same file format - it calls pg_dump to do the
> backup!!
>
> As for the options, pgAdmin shows the command line it uses on the
> messages tab when you run the backup so you can easily duplicate what
> it's doing.

pgAdmin uses 8.2 pg_dump to dump a database. Perhaps Laurent use another
pg_dump release. I mean, if he has a 7.4 database cluster, 7.4 pg_dump
won't create the same dump as a 8.2 pg_dump.

BTW, I think this should be a TODO : be able to choose a pg_dump release
to make a backup. I think it has already been asked. (To be honest, I
didn't search on the roadmap to see if it was already there.)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.