Hello,

Has something changed from 1.4 to 1.6 in how pgadmin exports files?  In
1.6 RC1 I have had issues when exporting the results of a query to a
file thatA) I get the dialog box that says the Export completed sucessfullyB) Upon opening the file I find it is
damagedbecause the results were

not completely exported.  Maybe on row 66 the end of the line is not
present.  The file should have had over 100 rows. C) Running it again from the same query window the results noted in
and B occur again but the actual number of rows written to the file are
completely different. Usually a fewer amount of rows get exported.D) Copying and pasting the same query into a new
querywindow, running

the query, and then exporting the data works successfully.

I have a co-worker who also had the same problems with the final release
of 1.6.

I have not tried 1.6.1 but it didn't appear that the changes made
between 1.6.1 and 1.6 would have affected this.

Client platform is WinXP SP2 and Database platform is Win2003.

I cannot reproduce this consistently.

Has anyone else seen this?

wxWidgets causing grief again?

Mike

Re: Exporting results from query window to a file

From
Dave Page
mike wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Has something changed from 1.4 to 1.6 in how pgadmin exports files?  In
> 1.6 RC1 I have had issues when exporting the results of a query to a
> file that
>  A) I get the dialog box that says the Export completed sucessfully
>  B) Upon opening the file I find it is damaged because the results were
> not completely exported.  Maybe on row 66 the end of the line is not
> present.  The file should have had over 100 rows.
>  C) Running it again from the same query window the results noted in A
> and B occur again but the actual number of rows written to the file are
> completely different. Usually a fewer amount of rows get exported.
>  D) Copying and pasting the same query into a new query window, running
> the query, and then exporting the data works successfully.
>
> I have a co-worker who also had the same problems with the final release
> of 1.6.
>
> I have not tried 1.6.1 but it didn't appear that the changes made
> between 1.6.1 and 1.6 would have affected this.
>
> Client platform is WinXP SP2 and Database platform is Win2003.
>
> I cannot reproduce this consistently.

There were some changes to check that data was converted to the correct
encoding correctly, and to correct a race issue over slow networks where
the data export may complete before all the data has actually been
retrieved from the server.

How are you executing the export - from the file menu on the query tool?
What encoding are you using?

Is there a small dataset that fails often enough that you could package
it as a test case for me to look at?

Regards, Dave

Re: Exporting results from query window to a file

From
"Mike G"
Date:
We do use File->Export.

Encoding I have the radio button set to Local charset.
The database is utf-8.

Quoting all columns, including column names, quote character ", Column separator is a comma.

Row separator is LF

I normally export to a network drive.

I will get together with my co-worker and see if we can determine which table(s) might
be common to the queries.

Since it normally works if you cut and paste the same query into a new window, execute
and export from the new window I was leaning toward something else other than encoding.

Mike

On Tue, 05 Dec 2006 11:05:31 +0000, Dave Page wrote

Mike G wrote:
> We do use File->Export.
>
> Encoding I have the radio button set to Local charset.
> The database is utf-8.
>
> Quoting all columns, including column names, quote character ", Column separator is a comma.
>
> Row separator is LF
>
> I normally export to a network drive.
>
> I will get together with my co-worker and see if we can determine which table(s) might
> be common to the queries.
>
> Since it normally works if you cut and paste the same query into a new window, execute
> and export from the new window I was leaning toward something else other than encoding.

Yeah, I was erring towards the race issue, but that bug was outputting
the correct number of rows, just with no data in them (leaving rows and
rows of quotes and delimiters) iirc.

Might be worth trying the export to a local drive, thoughs that's
something of a shot in the dark.

Regards, Dave.