Backup and Restore options disabled in 1.6

From
Ryan Holmes
Date:
I'm running 1.6.0 on Windows XP and Windows 2003. The backup and
restore options are disabled on the Tools menu and don't appear on
context menus regardless of which object is selected (database,
table, etc.). I'm logged in as the superuser, so I don't think it's a
permissions issue. I'm probably missing something silly, but I never
had any issues with this under 1.4.3.

PostgreSQL 8.2 beta 3 is installed on both machines and I haven't
tested against 8.1, so maybe that has something to do with it. I
performed a default installation and I see pg_dump.exe and
pg_restore.exe in the install directory.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Re: Backup and Restore options disabled in 1.6

From
Dave Page
Date:
Ryan Holmes wrote:
> I'm running 1.6.0 on Windows XP and Windows 2003. The backup and restore
> options are disabled on the Tools menu and don't appear on context menus
> regardless of which object is selected (database, table, etc.). I'm
> logged in as the superuser, so I don't think it's a permissions issue.
> I'm probably missing something silly, but I never had any issues with
> this under 1.4.3.
>
> PostgreSQL 8.2 beta 3 is installed on both machines and I haven't tested
> against 8.1, so maybe that has something to do with it. I performed a
> default installation and I see pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe in the
> install directory.
>
> Any ideas?

Are pg_dump.exe/pg_restore.exe in the same directory as pgAdmin.exe, or
did you de-select them during installation?

Regards, Dave

Date:
Ryan Holmes wrote:
> Hi Dave, thanks for the response.
>
> I can't get to the XP machine right now to verify, but I literally just
> clicked "next" during the install so it should be completely vanilla. On
> the 2003 machine, yes, pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe are in the  same
> directory as pgAdmin.exe (the 2003 machine is x64 btw, so pgAdmin is
> under "Program Files (x86)" if that makes any difference).
>
> I got the backup and restore options working on the 2003 machine by
> adding the Postres 8.2 bin directory to my path. I can verify the
> location of pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe on the XP machine on Monday,
> but I'll be pretty surprised if they're not in the install directory
> alongside pgAdmin.exe.
>
> The only potentially "unusual" thing I can think of about my 1.6 install
> is that I first uninstalled 1.4.3 (on both machines). I assumed it would
> be cleaner if anything, but maybe something's weird in the registry and
> pgAdmin doesn't know its install location(?).

Further investigation shows that this is actually a bug in the version
of wxWidgets that 1.6.0 is linked with. It seems to be resolved in
2.8.0-rc1, so future versions of pgAdmin should work fine.

The workaround, is to add a directory (such as the pgAdmin dir, or
PostgreSQL bin dir) to your system path.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Backup and Restore options disabled in 1.6

From
"Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha"
Date:
Thank you all for the help. It works ok now.

Regards
Ezequias

2006/11/20, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org>:
Ryan Holmes wrote:
> Hi Dave, thanks for the response.
>
> I can't get to the XP machine right now to verify, but I literally just
> clicked "next" during the install so it should be completely vanilla. On
> the 2003 machine, yes, pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe are in the  same
> directory as pgAdmin.exe (the 2003 machine is x64 btw, so pgAdmin is
> under "Program Files (x86)" if that makes any difference).
>
> I got the backup and restore options working on the 2003 machine by
> adding the Postres 8.2 bin directory to my path. I can verify the
> location of pg_dump.exe and pg_restore.exe on the XP machine on Monday,
> but I'll be pretty surprised if they're not in the install directory
> alongside pgAdmin.exe.
>
> The only potentially "unusual" thing I can think of about my 1.6 install
> is that I first uninstalled 1.4.3 (on both machines). I assumed it would
> be cleaner if anything, but maybe something's weird in the registry and
> pgAdmin doesn't know its install location(?).

Further investigation shows that this is actually a bug in the version
of wxWidgets that 1.6.0 is linked with. It seems to be resolved in
2.8.0-rc1, so future versions of pgAdmin should work fine.

The workaround, is to add a directory (such as the pgAdmin dir, or
PostgreSQL bin dir) to your system path.

Regards, Dave.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

                                  Atenciosamente (Sincerely)
                        Ezequias Rodrigues da Rocha
A pior das democracias ainda é melhor do que a melhor das ditaduras
The worst of democracies is still better than the better of dictatorships
http://ezequiasrocha.blogspot.com/