[HELP]InstallationStepByStep?

From
Andrew Toth

Dear PgAdmin Forum,

I had installed postgresql and pgadmin, but something is wrong.

I have Debian experimental and kernel 2.6.17 running;

apt-get install postgresql-common odbc-postgresql postgresql-client-8.1
postgresql-client-common postgresql-8.1 pgadmin3

and some other packages...

I modified postgresql.conf:
listen_addresses = '*'
port = 5432
max_connections = 50
unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'
ssl = true

I started pgadmin3 on the same computer and hit connection button:
address: localhost
service:
port: 5432
SSL: require
MaintanceDB: postgres
Username: postgres
password: a
storepassword:true
connect now: true

But I got a message:
//An error has occured:

Error connecting to the server: FATAL:  password authentication failed
for user "postgres"//

But in bash shell, "su postgres" and typing password allows me to login
to its sh. So i really don't know how to install it correctly to get it
go...
(ARe there step-by-step- or complete idiot's installation instructions
for my machine?)

--

Tisztelettel: / Grüße / Yours sincerely,  Andrew Toth       tothaa@freestart.hu       MSN: tothaa@msn.com       ICQ:
311-837-922

Re: [HELP]InstallationStepByStep?

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Hi Andrew,

Andrew Toth wrote:

> Dear PgAdmin Forum,
> I had installed postgresql and pgadmin, but something is wrong.
>
> I have Debian experimental and kernel 2.6.17 running;
>
> apt-get install postgresql-common odbc-postgresql postgresql-client-8.1
> postgresql-client-common postgresql-8.1 pgadmin3
>
> and some other packages...
>
> I modified postgresql.conf:
> listen_addresses = '*'
> port = 5432
> max_connections = 50
> unix_socket_directory = '/var/run/postgresql'
> ssl = true
>

> I started pgadmin3 on the same computer and hit connection button:
> address: localhost
> service:
> port: 5432
> SSL: require
> MaintanceDB: postgres
> Username: postgres
> password: a
> storepassword:true
> connect now: true
> But I got a message:
> //An error has occured:
>
> Error connecting to the server: FATAL:  password authentication failed
> for user "postgres"//
>
> But in bash shell, "su postgres" and typing password allows me to login
> to its sh. So i really don't know how to install it correctly to get it
> go...
> (ARe there step-by-step- or complete idiot's installation instructions
> for my machine?)

Try to put "/var/run/postgresql" as the address field instead of
localhost in the pgAdmin III connection window. This should do the trick.

When you use psql from bash without option, psql uses the unix domain
socket (a file socket, located in "unix_socket_directory=<dir name>")...
Permissions are handled differently when using TCP/IP socket and UNIX
domain sockets (see the pg_hba.conf file)... When you specify localhost
as the address field in pgAdmin III this is just like "psql -h localhost".

Let us now if it's ok.

Regards,
Raphaël