Postgis Manual

From
"Jeremy Palmer"
Date:
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to get the postgis manual added into the
pgadmin3 help. This would be really useful for a few guys at work as we
always need to refer to the postgis function section, and it would be great
if it was integrated into pgadmin3! The postgis manual is a dockbook, so
making html pages or html help workshop files should be easy enough...

Thanks
Jeremy

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Dave Page"

The problem is that updating an building the docs is the most time
consuming and painful job there is for me to do at both pgAdmin and
PostgreSQL release times. I'm *really* loathe to add another docset in
there.

It is on my longterm todo to see if we can't automate things a little
more however, if you (or anyone else) is an HTMLHelp expert, then I'd
love to hear ideas about how the index file hacking can be avoided -
even just a way to #include index/contents files in a subdir without
hacking the source paths for the html files to be relative to the top
dir would be a big help.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Dave Page"

Hi John,

The pgAdmin docs are maintained as HTML files, along with an HTML help
project (hhp project file, hhk index file and hhc contents file). The
PostgreSQL and Slony docs start out in SGML and are converted to
individual HTML help projects using docbook & xsltproc.

The difficult bit is merging them together. At the moment I manually
merge the hhp, hhk and hhc files together, and adjust the paths as I go
to allow for the fact that the slony and pg docs are in slony/ and pg/
directories relative to the pgadmin docs.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to either automagically do the merge
operation, or see if the files can be '#included' so that (for example)
pgadmin.hhp includes something like:

#include pg/postgresql.hhp
#include slony/slony.hhp

There is a way of doing that in HTMLHelp iirc, but it didn't like the
fact the paths to the content files (*.html, *.gif etc) weren't relative
to the top directory.

I suspect the easiest answer is for a perl hacker to step forward and
wave his or her wand, but I'm open to other suggestions :-)

Regards, Dave.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
John Cole
Date:
Dave, How are you generating your help file?  We use a xsl stylesheet to convert
xhtml to docbook and from there generate the help project.  I'd be happy to
give you the stylesheet and our tool chain instructions.

John Cole

> I was wondering if it was possible to get the postgis manual
> added into the
> pgadmin3 help. This would be really useful for a few guys at
> work as we
> always need to refer to the postgis function section, and it
> would be great
> if it was integrated into pgadmin3! The postgis manual is a
> dockbook, so
> making html pages or html help workshop files should be easy enough...

The problem is that updating an building the docs is the most time
consuming and painful job there is for me to do at both pgAdmin and
PostgreSQL release times. I'm *really* loathe to add another docset in
there.

It is on my longterm todo to see if we can't automate things a little
more however, if you (or anyone else) is an HTMLHelp expert, then I'd
love to hear ideas about how the index file hacking can be avoided -
even just a way to #include index/contents files in a subdir without
hacking the source paths for the html files to be relative to the top
dir would be a big help.

Regards, Dave.

TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate      subscribe-nomail command to
majordomo@postgresql.orgso that your      message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entityto whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message
containsconfidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
shouldnot disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
John Cole
Date:
Dave, We store all of our document souces in PhpWiki (though we could use any
wiki that exports to XHTML).  By creating a page that includes other wiki
pages in the order we want them to appear in the help file, we create a
single xhtml file that we convert to a docbook xml file and from there to
html help.
 If you could find some way of putting all of your sources into one html
file (we use the wiki include and transclude plugins) and following a
similar path, you might find that merging HTML is easier than merging hhp
projects.

John

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or
entityto whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. This message
containsconfidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
shouldnot disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Dave Page"

We could do that with our docs, but not with the pg or slony ones - we
have no choice but to pull them from the SGML sources whenever they are
updated.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 08:41:30PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> >   If you could find some way of putting all of your sources
> > into one html
> > file (we use the wiki include and transclude plugins) and following a
> > similar path, you might find that merging HTML is easier than
> > merging hhp
> > projects.
>
> We could do that with our docs, but not with the pg or slony ones - we
> have no choice but to pull them from the SGML sources whenever they are
> updated.

Have you looked at converting your docs into SGML/docbook? It should be
pretty easy to go from that to just about anything else, as well as
pulling in pgsql/docs.

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Dave Page"

Our docs work just fine (getting them from HTML into a htmlhelp project
is well, pretty easy :-) ) - the difficult bit is merging the htmlhelp
project files from the pg and slony docs.

Regards, Dave

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 08:58:28AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > Have you looked at converting your docs into SGML/docbook? It
> > should be
> > pretty easy to go from that to just about anything else, as well as
> > pulling in pgsql/docs.
>
> Our docs work just fine (getting them from HTML into a htmlhelp project
> is well, pretty easy :-) ) - the difficult bit is merging the htmlhelp
> project files from the pg and slony docs.

So why not do that when everything's still in the XML stage?

Re: Postgis Manual

From
"Dave Page"

There is no XML stage for our docs, and even if there was we'd need new
targets to build the Slony and PostgreSQL docs in XML without processing
them (not really a problem I realise), and then some way to merge them
all together before processing with the HTMLHelp stylesheet. Happy to
see some patches though if you think you can make it work :-)

Regards, Dave.