Login box bug

From
Joel Krajden
Date:
PGADMIN III RC2 source ccompiled. Postgresql 8.beta, RHE3

If you don't enter a password or enter the wrong password you are connected to
the database anyways. The properties window for the server says you are not
connected but you are and can access,create and modify objects. Does PGAdmin
not use the pg_hba.conf file?

Thanks
Joel

--
| Joel Krajden              | Rm: LB-915,  Tel: 514 848-2424 3052         |
|                           | Fax: 514 848-2830                           |

Re: Login box bug

From
"Dave Page"

Yes, *every* PostgreSQL application uses this file - otherwise it would
be kinda easy to hack a PostgreSQL server :-). You must have a trust
option set somewhere in pg_hba.conf or something similar that you have
missed.

Regards, Dave

Re: Login box bug

From
"Dave Page"

It doesn't - that's the whole point. The adherence to the correct
pg_hba.conf is controlled entirely by the server. If it were possible to
bypass it from a client then any hacker could easily bypass any access
controls - this is certainly not the case.

Regards. Dave.

Re: Login box bug

From
"Dave Page"

If you haven't subsequently set a password, then yes, that would explain
why you don't need a password to login.

Regards, Dave.