First of all I wish to say Hi, since I am new to this list.

My name is Cameron Braid.

I am going to be using PostgreSQL in a new project.

This project is a Java Web Application, using the Hibernate framework + JDBC for accessing PostgreSQL.

I have been a happy mySQL user for a while, but things are starting to shit me.. I'll not start a mySQL vs PostgreSQL war, i'll just start using postgreSQL :)

The pgadmin tool is a great product.  I have come originally from SQL Server, using enterprise manager, then after that mysql using myCC.

I am both comfortable at using both command line / shell style SQL tools, and GUI tools.

However some of the woth that I have been doing lately requires ad hoch direct database updates, and using a GUI  to do this makes it a simple task.

Currently the pgadmin grid editor works sufficiently to do this, except it is a little painful having to go through these steps to edit the relevant data (in multiple tables) for a single task.

* right click on table name
* choose "view data"
* enter filter
* click go
* make changes
* swap to pgadmin to start agin with new table.

In myCC you can have the SQL window open with multiple SQL statements ready, you just

* select the statement
* execute it eith CTRL-E
* make changes
* repeat for each statement

The only condition is that the statement that you are executing is a "select * from ..." statement.

I would LOVE it for pgadmin to support launching the grid editor as an embeded tab in the query window.

Currently there are 3 execute actions to run the selected query
a) execute
b) execute with export
c) explain.

A fourth one
d) execute for update
would be a fantastic addition

Once again, thanks for such a valuable tool.

Cameron.

Re: Discussion about posibility of integrating the grid editor and viewer

From
"Dave Page"
The only condition is that the statement that you are executing is a "select * from ..." statement.

I would LOVE it for pgadmin to support launching the grid editor as an embeded tab in the query window.

pgAdmin II used to allow editting of query results, however it was virtually impossible to do reliably due to the number of different things you could select from (functions, sequences, views, multiple tables etc), and the difficulty involved in finding a unique identifier for any given row (does MySQL always have such a column? PostgreSQL doesn't anymore since OIDs were made optional). If there is only single 'real' table in the query, with a primary key, then everything should be pretty straight forward, however, often that is not the case.

Perhaps a more appropriate solution in this case would be to add a combobox to the top of the edit grid to allow a different table to be selected. Andreas, you're quite touchy about the data editor <grin> - what do you think?
Once again, thanks for such a valuable tool.

You're welcome - and thanks for the feedback.

Regards, Dave

Re: Discussion about posibility of integrating

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:
> Hi Cameron,

> Perhaps a more appropriate solution in this case would be to add a
> combobox to the top of the edit grid to allow a different table to be
> selected.

Why not just start multiple grids and switch between back and forth?

Regards,
Andreas