weird problem, cant edit data in tables

From
"Roger D. Vargas"
Date:
my version is 1.0.2 for windows, and some recently created tables cant
be edited to insert/update values. Simply the grid doesnt appears or if
there is data (inserted in psql by hand) it cant be modified. Seems to
happen only for tables that has a field referencing a master table.
I created the table using pgadmin, and then using sql commands in psql,
but the result is the same.

--
Roger Durañona Vargas
Linux user #180787

Re: weird problem, cant edit data in tables

From
"Dave Page"

Do you have a primary key specified?

Regards, Dave.

Date:
El mar, 17-08-2004 a las 08:11, Dave Page escribió:

> > my version is 1.0.2 for windows, and some recently created
> > tables cant be edited to insert/update values. Simply the
> > grid doesnt appears or if there is data (inserted in psql by
> > hand) it cant be modified. Seems to happen only for tables
> > that has a field referencing a master table.
> > I created the table using pgadmin, and then using sql
> > commands in psql, but the result is the same.
>
> Do you have a primary key specified?

Yes, in the master table (created using pgadmin)

--
Roger Durañona Vargas
Linux user #180787
A cada momento nos rodea lo desconocido. Es alli
donde uno tiene que buscar el conocimiento.
Paul Muad'Dib Atreides. Children of Dune

Re: weird problem, cant edit data in tables

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Roger D. Vargas wrote:
> El mar, 17-08-2004 a las 08:11, Dave Page escribió:
>
>>>my version is 1.0.2 for windows, and some recently created
>>>tables cant be edited to insert/update values. Simply the
>>>grid doesnt appears or if there is data (inserted in psql by
>>>hand) it cant be modified. Seems to happen only for tables
>>>that has a field referencing a master table.
>>>I created the table using pgadmin, and then using sql
>>>commands in psql, but the result is the same.
>>
>>Do you have a primary key specified?
>>

> Yes, in the master table (created using pgadmin)

What is a master table?

In order to edit tables, they need to have uniquely identifyable rows,
see the doc.

Regards,
Andreas

Date:
El mar, 17-08-2004 a las 14:46, Andreas Pflug escribió:
> Roger D. Vargas wrote:

> >>Do you have a primary key specified?
> >>

> > Yes, in the master table (created using pgadmin)
>
> What is a master table?
>
> In order to edit tables, they need to have uniquely identifyable rows,
> see the doc.
Sorry for the term, a master table is the one that contains the primary
key, the "detail" table references the primary key in that master table,
a "master-detail" relationship.

--
Roger Durañona Vargas
Linux user #180787
A cada momento nos rodea lo desconocido. Es alli
donde uno tiene que buscar el conocimiento.
Paul Muad'Dib Atreides. Children of Dune

Re: weird problem, cant edit data in tables

From
Andreas Pflug

>>In order to edit tables, they need to have uniquely identifyable rows,
>>see the doc.
>
> Sorry for the term, a master table is the one that contains the primary
> key, the "detail" table references the primary key in that master table,
> a "master-detail" relationship.

Create primary keys in *every* table, unless you have a very very good
reason not to do so (and these are rare).

Regards,
Andreas

Re: weird problem, cant edit data in tables

From
"Dave Page"

You need one in each table, otherwise pgAdmin has no way of identifying which row you are editting.

Regard,s Dave.