pgAdmin III locks up

From
"Donald Fraser"
Date:
pgAdmin III Version 1.1.0 Devel (Apr 14 2004)
OS: W2K SP4

Bug:

1) Open SQL editor pain with for example a large PL/PGSQL function.

2) Select cursor say 10 lines from top:

3) Edit->Find (Ctrl-F) type some text in the "Find what" text entry - for example "gobbledegook"

4) Press the "Find Next" button.

5) Change direction to up.

6) Press the "Find Next" button.

pgAdmin III locks up

regards
Donald Fraser

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
"Dave Page"
Thanks Donald - I've confirmed this bug and added it to BUGS.txt. It appears to be a wx issue unfortunately, so will probably need Andreas' expertise to fix.

Regards, Dave

pgAdmin III Version 1.1.0 Devel (Apr 14 2004)
OS: W2K SP4

Bug:

1) Open SQL editor pain with for example a large PL/PGSQL function.

2) Select cursor say 10 lines from top:

3) Edit->Find (Ctrl-F) type some text in the "Find what" text entry - for example "gobbledegook"

4) Press the "Find Next" button.

5) Change direction to up.

6) Press the "Find Next" button.

pgAdmin III locks up

regards
Donald Fraser

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Donald Fraser wrote:
Hm,
can't reproduce this.

> pgAdmin III Version 1.1.0 Devel (Apr 14 2004)
> OS: W2K SP4
>
> Bug:
>
> 1) Open SQL editor pain with for example a large PL/PGSQL function.
>
> 2) Select cursor say 10 lines from top:
>
> 3) Edit->Find (Ctrl-F) type some text in the "Find what" text entry
> - for example "gobbledegook"
>
> 4) Press the "Find Next" button.
>
> 5) Change direction to up.
>
> 6) Press the "Find Next" button.
>
> pgAdmin III locks up

I'm only getting the "reached end of doc" message. Does by any chance
this message hide somewhere? Try Alt-Tabbing to locate it.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
"Dave Page"

No, it doesn't get hidden - in fact the find button on the find dialogue
doesn't even become 'unpressed' if you know what I mean. Try it with a
fair bit of text in the dialogue - sometimes it'll crash searching
forward and sometimes back but it seems pretty broken here.

Mind you, what wx are you using? I still have our last 'offical' version
as found on developer.pgadmin.org.

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
"Donald Fraser"
> > pgAdmin III Version 1.1.0 Devel (Apr 14 2004)
> > OS: W2K SP4
> >
> > Bug:
> >
> > 1) Open SQL editor pain with for example a large PL/PGSQL function.
> >
> > 2) Select cursor say 10 lines from top:
> >
> > 3) Edit->Find (Ctrl-F) type some text in the "Find what" text entry
> > - for example "gobbledegook"
> >
> > 4) Press the "Find Next" button.
> >
> > 5) Change direction to up.
> >
> > 6) Press the "Find Next" button.
> >
> > pgAdmin III locks up
> >

> I'm only getting the "reached end of doc" message. Does by any chance
> this message hide somewhere? Try Alt-Tabbing to locate it.

I get "reached end of doc" message when direction is down.
After changing direction to up and pressing "Find Next" button pgAdmin locks
up. Alter-tab does nothing, task manger shows pgAdmin at 99% processor
utilisation!
Remember that I am on pgAdmin III Version 1.1.0 Devel (Apr 14 2004).
Dave - what version did you test against and find the same problem?

Regards
Donald Fraser

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
"Dave Page"

CVS tip.

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin III locks up

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I used the latest binary, as well as my local debug version (updated wx)
on Server2003.

Regards,
Andreas

Copy between Databases

From
"derrick@grifflink.com"
Date:
Is there a way to copy tables, functions, etc. between databases and servers
within pgAdmin?

For example, within pgAdmin we have:   Server1 has a database called DB1 with a table called Table1.   Server2 has a
databasecalled DB2 with a table called Table2.

I want to copy the data and metadata from Table1 to Table2.  Is this
possible?  If so, how?

Thanks,
Derrick

Re: Copy between Databases

From
"James M Doherty PGADMIN"
Date:
look at pg_dump.

If you want to do this in real-time please specify ?

Jim
> Is there a way to copy tables, functions, etc. between databases and
servers
> within pgAdmin?
>
> For example, within pgAdmin we have:
>     Server1 has a database called DB1 with a table called Table1.
>     Server2 has a database called DB2 with a table called Table2.
>
> I want to copy the data and metadata from Table1 to Table2.  Is this
> possible?  If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Derrick

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Copy between Databases

From
"derrick@grifflink.com"
Date:
Is there a way to implement the pg_dump from within pgAdminIII?  If so, how?

Thanks,
Derrick

> look at pg_dump.
>
> If you want to do this in real-time please specify ?
>
> Jim
>
> > Is there a way to copy tables, functions, etc. between databases and
> servers
> > within pgAdmin?
> >
> > For example, within pgAdmin we have:
> >     Server1 has a database called DB1 with a table called Table1.
> >     Server2 has a database called DB2 with a table called Table2.
> >
> > I want to copy the data and metadata from Table1 to Table2.  Is this
> > possible?  If so, how?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Derrick

Re: Copy between Databases

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
derrick@grifflink.com wrote:

>Is there a way to implement the pg_dump from within pgAdminIII?  If so, how?

Of course, all you need is a C++ compiler and some spare time :-)

You could code a graphical frontend for pg_dump/pg_restore, which is on
the pgadmin3 TODO list anyway.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Copy between Databases

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
>> Is there a way to implement the pg_dump from within pgAdminIII?  If
>> so, how?
>>

> Of course, all you need is a C++ compiler and some spare time :-)
>
> You could code a graphical frontend for pg_dump/pg_restore, which is on
> the pgadmin3 TODO list anyway.

Just do what we do with phpPgAdmin - we just open a connection to the
pg_dump process and execute it.  We then capture the output and stream
it to the user's browser.

Chris