Russian data in SQL_ASCII encoding

From
Моисеев Алексей Николаевич
Date:
Hi!!!
Why russian data from tables in pgadmin 3 release in SQL_ASCII coding is not
visible, but this data visible in pgadmin 2?
What is the different between pgadmin3 and pgadmin2 for this problem?
Thanks.

Re: Russian data in SQL_ASCII encoding

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Моисеев Алексей Николаевич wrote:

>Hi!!!
>Why russian data from tables in pgadmin 3 release in SQL_ASCII coding is not
>visible, but this data visible in pgadmin 2?
>What is the different between pgadmin3 and pgadmin2 for this problem?
>Thanks.

Hm,
I suspect that the server isn't able to translate your SQL_ASCII data to
Unicode to send it over the line. Currently, pgAdmin3 tells the backend
to send all data in Unicode, which should fit everything (if convertible).

Maybe we should leave the client connection SQL_ASCII if this is the
server encoding, because there are probably many SQL_ASCII encoded
databases around that actually contain non-ascii (thus non-convertible)
data.

Regards,
Andreas

Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Моисеев Алексей Николаевич wrote:
>
>> Hi!!!
>> Why russian data from tables in pgadmin 3 release in SQL_ASCII coding
>> is not
>> visible, but this data visible in pgadmin 2?
>> What is the different between pgadmin3 and pgadmin2 for this problem?
>> Thanks.
>>
> Hm,
> I suspect that the server isn't able to translate your SQL_ASCII data
> to Unicode to send it over the line. Currently, pgAdmin3 tells the
> backend to send all data in Unicode, which should fit everything (if
> convertible).
>
> Maybe we should leave the client connection SQL_ASCII if this is the
> server encoding, because there are probably many SQL_ASCII encoded
> databases around that actually contain non-ascii (thus
> non-convertible) data.

I updated pgConn.cpp and pgConn.h to be SQL_ASCII aware. There's some
heavy work in cvs underway. If you have a pgAdmin3 source installation
to test it, you should get these two files only.

Regards,
Andreas