pgadmin3 questions/bug?

From
"George T. Gibson"
Date:
When using slackware package I get:

./pgAdmin3: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot

For me, libpq.so.3 is located in /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3

Is it looking for the postgres library in some other location?

So because that didn't work, I downloaded the source and tried to
compile.  I also downloaded and installed wxBase and wxAll (All front
end packages).

.configure command seemed to go ok but when I tried to make I got a
bunch of errors.  I did not include all, just the last ones.  Please let
me know if you need more.  Here are the ones it died on:

include/frmMain.h:113: non-member function `const wxEventTable*
GetEventTable()
    ' cannot have `const' method qualifier
include/frmMain.h:114: parse error before `}' token
pgAdmin3.cpp: In member function `virtual bool pgAdmin3::OnInit()':
pgAdmin3.cpp:191: `wxXmlResource' undeclared (first use this function)
pgAdmin3.cpp:191: parse error before `::' token
pgAdmin3.cpp: In member function `bool pgAdmin3::LoadAllXrc(wxString)':
pgAdmin3.cpp:287: parse error before `::' token
make[2]: *** [pgAdmin3.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pgadmin3-0.1.1/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/pgadmin3-0.1.1'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Thanks for the help.

--
J.B. Stamping, Inc.
George Gibson

Re: pgadmin3 questions/bug?

From
"Dave Page"

Hi,

Is /usr/local/pgsql/lib listed in /etc/ld.so.conf? My guess is no, in
which case, please add it and run ldconfig (as root). This will ensure
that libraries in that directory can be loaded.

> Is it looking for the postgres library in some other location?
>
> So because that didn't work, I downloaded the source and tried to
> compile.  I also downloaded and installed wxBase and wxAll (All front
> end packages).

I develop on slackware 9, on which the instructions in <pgadmin src
dir>/docs/en_US/unix_compilation.html should work perfectly. On older
slackware releases you may need to update some wxWindows dependencies,
but you will need to check the wxWindows docs for details.

HTH, regards,

Dave.

Re: pgadmin3 questions/bug?

From
"George T. Gibson"
Date:
Sorry to be a pain...

I added the postgres lib directory to ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig.  Now
a new error pops up:

/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgAdmin3: error while loading shared libraries:
libwx_gtk2ud_stc-2.5.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I am running slackware 9.0 and do not find that file anywhere on my system.

I removed wxWindows and wxBase and started over with wxGtk (--with-gtk)
but that did not seem to help either.

So I decided to go back to the source to read the docs as you suggested
and try building from source again.  But, in my source tree there does
not seem to be any documenation under the en_US directory other than the
pg/ directory.  Sorry if I am missing something that is blatant.

George

>>./pgAdmin3: error while loading shared libraries: libpq.so.3: cannot
>>open shared object file: No such file or directory
>>
>>For me, libpq.so.3 is located in /usr/local/pgsql/lib/libpq.so.3
>

> Hi,
>
> Is /usr/local/pgsql/lib listed in /etc/ld.so.conf? My guess is no, in
> which case, please add it and run ldconfig (as root). This will ensure
> that libraries in that directory can be loaded.
>

>>Is it looking for the postgres library in some other location?
>>
>>So because that didn't work, I downloaded the source and tried to
>>compile.  I also downloaded and installed wxBase and wxAll (All front
>>end packages).
>

> I develop on slackware 9, on which the instructions in <pgadmin src
> dir>/docs/en_US/unix_compilation.html should work perfectly. On older
> slackware releases you may need to update some wxWindows dependencies,
> but you will need to check the wxWindows docs for details.
>
> HTH, regards,
>
> Dave.

J.B. Stamping, Inc.
George Gibson
7413 Associate Ave.
Cleveland, OH 44144
216.631.0013  216.631.1327 fax
gtgibson@jbstamping.com

Re: pgadmin3 questions/bug?

From
"Dave Page"

Don't worry - it's alpha software so we expect (and are happy to get)
bug reports.

> I added the postgres lib directory to ld.so.conf and ran
> ldconfig.  Now
> a new error pops up:

OK, I've looked into this some more and made some changes to the build
system so that all of the non-standard dependencies are statically
linked.

Please try the updated package:
http://snake.pgadmin.org/linux/slackware90/pgadmin3-20030620.tgz

Regards, Dave.