PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi,

PFA patch to add Statistics functionality to below nodes,
  • Table
  • Function
  • Procedure
  • Trigger Function
  • Sequence
  • Column
  • Primary Key
  • Unique constraint
  • Exclusion constraint
(RM#1299)

---------------

Additionally, attaching two separate patches,

1) To update validation of object before using it
(file: statistics.js)

2) To fix incorrect condition checking for privileges.
Thanks to Surinder for reporting this issue.
(file: privilege.js)

Please review.

Murtuza Zabuawala
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks. I've pushed this with changes to reformat some of the SQL, and
ensure the column headers are properly cased.

There is one outstanding bug though - if an object is selected for
which the stats query doesn't return any rows (e.g. track_functions =
false), then weird things happen - you get an empty error message, or
the previous stats might be re-shown. Please fix the patch so that in
such cases the pgAdmin 3 behaviour is followed, i.e. the table header
is shown, but no rows (bug #1316).

Also, please look at #1315 which you're at it :-)

Thanks again.

Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi Dave,

Can you please share steps to re-produce RM#1316, I’m not able to re-produce it on my side.

Meanwhile, PFA patch for RM#1315 :-)

Regards,
Murtuza

[...]

Ashesh Vashi

Can you please share steps to re-produce RM#1316, I’m not able to re-produce it on my side.
Please set 'track_functions' to false in postgresql.conf.
And, then open pgAdmin 4, browse through any function.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Ashesh Vashi

[...]

Date:
On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 6:54 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> Can you please share steps to re-produce RM#1316, I’m not able to re-produce
> it on my side.

Please see Ashesh's response.

> Meanwhile, PFA patch for RM#1315 :-)

Thanks, pushed.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi Ashesh/Dave,

I tried setting 'track_functions' to false in postgresql.conf. but then I am not able to start server got error saying false is not correct argument (Version: PG 9.5).
Then I also set it to all and try running function & check the stats.

I am getting proper output in both cases, with stats & without stats(PFA screenshot)

Let me know if I missed anything here.

[...]

Date:
On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Ashesh/Dave,
>
> I tried setting 'track_functions' to false in postgresql.conf. but then I am
> not able to start server got error saying false is not correct argument
> (Version: PG 9.5).
> Then I also set it to all and try running function & check the stats.
>
> I am getting proper output in both cases, with stats & without stats(PFA
> screenshot)
>
> Let me know if I missed anything here.

You might need to reset the server stats (or re-initdb to be sure
everything is fresh and clean). FYI, I saw this on PostgreSQL 9.4.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi Dave,

I tried with fresh install of 9.4 version but still not able to re-produce the issue, I also tried switching python
version2.7/3.5 but still no luck.
I also checked with Neel & Surinder on their system but still not able to re-produce the issue.

Regards,
Murtuza

> On 10-Jun-2016, at 8:56 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jun 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala
> <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Hi Ashesh/Dave,
>>
>> I tried setting 'track_functions' to false in postgresql.conf. but then I am
>> not able to start server got error saying false is not correct argument
>> (Version: PG 9.5).
>> Then I also set it to all and try running function & check the stats.
>>
>> I am getting proper output in both cases, with stats & without stats(PFA
>> screenshot)
>>
>> Let me know if I missed anything here.
>
> You might need to reset the server stats (or re-initdb to be sure
> everything is fresh and clean). FYI, I saw this on PostgreSQL 9.4.
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I tried with fresh install of 9.4 version but still not able to re-produce the issue, I also tried switching python
version2.7/3.5 but still no luck.
> I also checked with Neel & Surinder on their system but still not able to re-produce the issue.

What can't you reproduce - the queries returning zero rows, or the
strange effects that leads to?

--

Date:
The strange effects that leads to.

> On 13-Jun-2016, at 4:55 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
> <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> I tried with fresh install of 9.4 version but still not able to re-produce the issue, I also tried switching python
version2.7/3.5 but still no luck.
>> I also checked with Neel & Surinder on their system but still not able to re-produce the issue.
>
> What can't you reproduce - the queries returning zero rows, or the
> strange effects that leads to?
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
<murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> The strange effects that leads to.
>

>> On 13-Jun-2016, at 4:55 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
>> <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> I tried with fresh install of 9.4 version but still not able to re-produce the issue, I also tried switching python
version2.7/3.5 but still no luck.
>>> I also checked with Neel & Surinder on their system but still not able to re-produce the issue.
>>
>> What can't you reproduce - the queries returning zero rows, or the
>> strange effects that leads to?

Hmm, neither can I now. I wonder if something didn't refresh correctly...

I do notice that we don't return stats for the Sequences, Trigger
functions or Functions nodes though.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi Dave,

I copied pgAdmin3 behaviour, I’ll implement it in pgAdmin4 :)

Thanks,
Murtuza

> On 13-Jun-2016, at 5:51 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
> <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> The strange effects that leads to.
>>

>>> On 13-Jun-2016, at 4:55 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

pythonversion 2.7/3.5 but still no luck.

>>> What can't you reproduce - the queries returning zero rows, or the
>>> strange effects that leads to?
>
> Hmm, neither can I now. I wonder if something didn't refresh correctly...
>
> I do notice that we don't return stats for the Sequences, Trigger
> functions or Functions nodes though.
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Murtuza Zabuawala
Date:
Hi,

PFA patch to add stats on Sequences/Function/Trigger functions collection nodes.
Please review.

Regards,
Murtuza

Murtuza Zabuawala
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

I copied pgAdmin3 behaviour, I’ll implement it in pgAdmin4 :)

Thanks,
Murtuza

> On 13-Jun-2016, at 5:51 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 12:29 PM, Murtuza Zabuawala
> <murtuza.zabuawala@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> The strange effects that leads to.
>>

>>> On 13-Jun-2016, at 4:55 pm, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi

>>> What can't you reproduce - the queries returning zero rows, or the
>>> strange effects that leads to?
>
> Hmm, neither can I now. I wonder if something didn't refresh correctly...
>
> I do notice that we don't return stats for the Sequences, Trigger
> functions or Functions nodes though.
>

> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: PATCH: Added Statistics functionality for many nodes (pgAdmin4)

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks, applied.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 8:06 AM, Murtuza Zabuawala