Reduce delay in keypress (input) in Query Tool

From
Dhiraj Chawla
Date:
Hi Dave,

It has been noticed that on certain systems, that typing into the Query Tool is extremely slow and characters get printed very slowly. The probable reason behind this is on each key press in Query Tool OnChangeStc() gets called in frmQuery which in turn calls updateMenu(). In updateMenu() we call the canSaveAsImage(), which internally updates the ModelSize of GQB with the updateModelSize() function.

Attached is the patch that fixes this issue by disabling the call to canSaveAsImage() when called updateMenu() is called from OnChangeStc(). In this way the model size of GQB won't get updated on press of each key.

Let me know views/thoughts on the same.

regards,

Dhiraj Chawla
Software Engineer
EnterpriseDB Corporation
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Phone: +91-20-30589522

Attachment

Re: Reduce delay in keypress (input) in Query Tool

From
Dave Page
Date:
Thanks, patch applied.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Dhiraj Chawla
<dhiraj.chawla@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> It has been noticed that on certain systems, that typing into the Query Tool
> is extremely slow and characters get printed very slowly. The probable
> reason behind this is on each key press in Query Tool OnChangeStc() gets
> called in frmQuery which in turn calls updateMenu(). In updateMenu() we call
> the canSaveAsImage(), which internally updates the ModelSize of GQB with the
> updateModelSize() function.
>
> Attached is the patch that fixes this issue by disabling the call to
> canSaveAsImage() when called updateMenu() is called from OnChangeStc(). In
> this way the model size of GQB won't get updated on press of each key.
>
> Let me know views/thoughts on the same.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Dhiraj Chawla
> Software Engineer
> EnterpriseDB Corporation
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company
>
> Phone: +91-20-30589522

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Reduce delay in keypress (input) in Query Tool

From
Dhiraj Chawla
Date:
Thanks Dave.