Information for added functionalities

From
Vladimir Kokovic
Date:
Hi,

1.
---
ADDED NEW FUNCTIONALITY FOR SCHEMA:

Right click on schema node provides three new functionalities
  - Copy tables
  - Copy table(s) from the list
  - Paste table(s)

"Copy tables" provides copying all tables from the schema.
 "Paste table(s)" on target schema will create new table(s) in target schema.

New table(s) in target schema can be created with the same or new name(s).
If name of source table exists in target schema then dialog for table
name change will pop up and suffix for name should be added.

Copy table(s) from the list provides copying selected table(s) from
one or more schema on same or different server(even not connected -
connection will be done automatically).

ADDED NEW FUNCTIONALITY FOR TABLES

Right click on table node provides three new functionalities
 - Copy table
 - Copy table with optional select clause
 - Copy table(s) from the list

"Copy table" provides copying of one table.

With "Copy table with optional select clause" provides copying table
with filter option
if only some data from the table should be included in new table.

"Copy table(s) from the list" has the same functionality as the "Copy
table(s) from the list"
in schema.

Paste table(s) has to be done on target schema.

With Copy-Paste functions all table characteristics will be copied,
that includes table definitions, constraints and data.

2.
---
Execute arbitrary SQL queries

Added multiple SQL commands(separated by ;) result set support.
Unlike the original SQL execute, this execute can display every SQL
command result set separately.

3.
---
new method sysSettings::Flush

With this method every server setting goes immediately in persistent storage.
At this moment it goes in persistent storage only when pgAdmin is
normally finished.
For other settings every third request will immediately put settings
in persistent storage.

4.
---
Complete scan.l (lexical scanner for PostgreSQL git HEAD) is added to
pgAdmin source tree.
This is required for 1. and 2. and provides all SQL scan functions in
pgAdmin without restrictions.

Since patch tar.gz size is about 260 KB, this (last version ) was sent
to guillaume@lelarge.info only on Aug.25, 2012.

So far there was no feedback on this patch and I would like to inform
pgadmin-hackers about this new functionalities which is at this moment
used only on private basis.

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 9.September 2012

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

Sounds interesting, but without public review of the work there's zero chance of it being committed.

Can you please break it up into individual patches for each feature, and for the scanner infrastructure, and submit?

Thanks.

[...]

Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Sun, 2012-09-09 at 18:57 +0200, Vladimir Kokovic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 1.
> ---
> ADDED NEW FUNCTIONALITY FOR SCHEMA:
>
> Right click on schema node provides three new functionalities
>   - Copy tables
>   - Copy table(s) from the list
>   - Paste table(s)
>
> "Copy tables" provides copying all tables from the schema.
>  "Paste table(s)" on target schema will create new table(s) in target schema.
>
> New table(s) in target schema can be created with the same or new name(s).
> If name of source table exists in target schema then dialog for table
> name change will pop up and suffix for name should be added.
>
> Copy table(s) from the list provides copying selected table(s) from
> one or more schema on same or different server(even not connected -
> connection will be done automatically).
>
> ADDED NEW FUNCTIONALITY FOR TABLES
>
> Right click on table node provides three new functionalities
>  - Copy table
>  - Copy table with optional select clause
>  - Copy table(s) from the list
>
> "Copy table" provides copying of one table.
>
> With "Copy table with optional select clause" provides copying table
> with filter option
> if only some data from the table should be included in new table.
>
> "Copy table(s) from the list" has the same functionality as the "Copy
> table(s) from the list"
> in schema.
>
> Paste table(s) has to be done on target schema.
>
> With Copy-Paste functions all table characteristics will be copied,
> that includes table definitions, constraints and data.
>

> 2.
> ---
> Execute arbitrary SQL queries
>
> Added multiple SQL commands(separated by ;) result set support.
> Unlike the original SQL execute, this execute can display every SQL
> command result set separately.
>

> 3.
> ---
> new method sysSettings::Flush
>
> With this method every server setting goes immediately in persistent storage.
> At this moment it goes in persistent storage only when pgAdmin is
> normally finished.
> For other settings every third request will immediately put settings
> in persistent storage.
>
> 4.
> ---
> Complete scan.l (lexical scanner for PostgreSQL git HEAD) is added to
> pgAdmin source tree.
> This is required for 1. and 2. and provides all SQL scan functions in
> pgAdmin without restrictions.
>

> Since patch tar.gz size is about 260 KB, this (last version ) was sent
> to guillaume@lelarge.info only on Aug.25, 2012.
>

> So far there was no feedback on this patch and I would like to inform
> pgadmin-hackers about this new functionalities which is at this moment
> used only on private basis.

Sorry for not answering. I tried many of your previous versions of the
patch (before summer, IIRC), and had some issues with them. In the
following months, I didn't had the time to test again, and read, and
answer. I still don't have the time.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Vladimir Kokovic
Date:
Hi,

Separated in three patches:
 patch1.tar.gz - pg_scanner and frmQuery.cpp with multiple result sets support
 patch2.tar.gz - sysSettings::Flush
 patch3.tar.gz - copy/paste table(s) with flush server settings to disk

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 19.September 2012

On 9/18/12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Vladimir Kokovic
> <vladimir.kokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Separated in three patches:
>> patch1.tar.gz - pg_scanner and frmQuery.cpp with multiple result sets
>> support
>> patch2.tar.gz - sysSettings::Flush
>> patch3.tar.gz - copy/paste table(s)
>
> Please post the patches publicly, i.e. to the mailing list, on
> individual threads.
>
> I took a very brief look at 2 and 3, and noticed some issues you'll
> want to cleanup first:
>
> - There are whitespace-only changes which should be removed.
>
> - There are completely unrelated changes to some files - e.g. patch 3
> removes "$(srcdir)/" from the file paths in pgadmin/ui/module.mk, and
> there are changes to function argument handling.
>
> - There are still some parts of one new feature in the other - e.g.,
> patch 3 seems to contain code to flush server settings to disk.
>
> - I see very few comments explaining what code is supposed to do. This
> is not necessary if code is self explanatory, but is needed in more
> complex code blocks.
>
> I'm assuming that patch 1 has similar issues. Fixing them first will
> make the patches *much* smaller and will make it possible to review
> them.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi

As I mentioned below, there are issues with the patches that need to
be cleaned up before they can be removed. A sizeable percentage of
patch3 for example changes things that are completely unrelated to
what the patch claims to do, or just changes paths for unrelated files
in the makefiles.

Please clean that up, and then post the patches *separate* email
threads. Noone can review them as they are now.

Thanks.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 3:46 AM, Vladimir Kokovic
<vladimir.kokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Separated in three patches:
>  patch1.tar.gz - pg_scanner and frmQuery.cpp with multiple result sets support
>  patch2.tar.gz - sysSettings::Flush
>  patch3.tar.gz - copy/paste table(s) with flush server settings to disk
>
> Best regards
> Vladimir Kokovic
> Belgrade, Serbia, 19.September 2012
>

> On 9/18/12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> On Sat, Sep 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Vladimir Kokovic
>> <vladimir.kokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Separated in three patches:
>>> patch1.tar.gz - pg_scanner and frmQuery.cpp with multiple result sets
>>> support
>>> patch2.tar.gz - sysSettings::Flush
>>> patch3.tar.gz - copy/paste table(s)
>>
>> Please post the patches publicly, i.e. to the mailing list, on
>> individual threads.
>>
>> I took a very brief look at 2 and 3, and noticed some issues you'll
>> want to cleanup first:
>>
>> - There are whitespace-only changes which should be removed.
>>
>> - There are completely unrelated changes to some files - e.g. patch 3
>> removes "$(srcdir)/" from the file paths in pgadmin/ui/module.mk, and
>> there are changes to function argument handling.
>>
>> - There are still some parts of one new feature in the other - e.g.,
>> patch 3 seems to contain code to flush server settings to disk.
>>
>> - I see very few comments explaining what code is supposed to do. This
>> is not necessary if code is self explanatory, but is needed in more
>> complex code blocks.
>>
>> I'm assuming that patch 1 has similar issues. Fixing them first will
>> make the patches *much* smaller and will make it possible to review
>> them.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Page
>> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
>> Twitter: @pgsnake

>> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Vladimir Koković
Date:
Hi,

If you have a build which is configured with "--srcdir=" then
"pgadmin/ui/module.mk" must be without "$(srcdir)/" !

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 19.September 2012

> On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:01:36 +0200, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> As I mentioned below, there are issues with the patches that need to
> be cleaned up before they can be removed. A sizeable percentage of
> patch3 for example changes things that are completely unrelated to
> what the patch claims to do, or just changes paths for unrelated files
> in the makefiles.
>
> Please clean that up, and then post the patches *separate* email
> threads. Noone can review them as they are now.
>
> Thanks.

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Vladimir Koković
<vladimir.kokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you have a build which is configured with "--srcdir=" then
> "pgadmin/ui/module.mk" must be without "$(srcdir)/" !

Well;

- That is a separate issue, and needs to be considered independently
in a different patch.

- The pgAdmin source tree hasn't included $(srcdir) in the module.mk
files since July. There's no way this patch would apply now.

- That is not the only change in there that's completely unrelated.
There's one to do with function parameters for example. Probably more.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Vladimir Kokovic
Date:
Hi,

I must APOLOGIZE for bad patches I've sent to list !
Problem was my wrong handled local GIT repository.
I'm trying to find proper way to handle it ...

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 20.September 2012

On 9/19/12, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Vladimir Koković
> <vladimir.kokovic@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> If you have a build which is configured with "--srcdir=" then
>> "pgadmin/ui/module.mk" must be without "$(srcdir)/" !
>
> Well;
>
> - That is a separate issue, and needs to be considered independently
> in a different patch.
>
> - The pgAdmin source tree hasn't included $(srcdir) in the module.mk
> files since July. There's no way this patch would apply now.
>
> - That is not the only change in there that's completely unrelated.
> There's one to do with function parameters for example. Probably more.
>
> --
> Dave Page
> Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
> Twitter: @pgsnake

> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Vladimir Kokovic
Date:
Hi,

New patches:
patch1.tar.gz - pg_scanner and frmQuery.cpp with multiple result sets support
patch2.tar.gz - sysSettings::Flush
patch3.tar.gz - copy/paste table(s) with flush server settings to disk

Apply patches and build log:

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# ./checkout.sh
git clone git://git.postgresql.org/git/pgadmin3.git
Cloning into 'pgadmin3'...
remote: Counting objects: 130764, done.
remote: Total 130764 (delta 115219), reused 122024 (delta 107013)
Receiving objects: 100% (130764/130764), 126.03 MiB | 211 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (115219/115219), done.
exit 0

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# cd pgadmin3; patch --context -p1 <
/root/files/pgadmin/dave-good/pgadmin3-1.patch; cd ../
patching file configure.ac.in
patching file pgadmin/Makefile.am
patching file pgadmin/db/keywords.c
patching file pgadmin/frm/frmQuery.cpp
patching file pgadmin/include/frm/frmQuery.h
patching file pgadmin/include/parser/keywords.h
patching file pgadmin/include/parser/keywords_pgadmin.h
patching file pgadmin/include/parser/module.mk
patching file pgadmin/include/utils/PgadminScanner.h
patching file pgadmin/utils/misc.cpp
patching file xtra/Makefile.am
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/Makefile.am
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/PgadminScanner.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/PgadminScannerCommon.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/dummy.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/mbutils.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/scan.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/scan.l
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/scansup.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/backend/parser/92/parser/gram.h
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/backend/parser/keywords.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/backend/parser/kwlookup.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/backend/utils/mb/encnames.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/include/mb/pg_wchar.h
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/port/chklocale.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/src/port/pgstrcasecmp.c
patching file xtra/pg_scanners/wchar.c

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# cd pgadmin3; patch --context -p1 <
/root/files/pgadmin/dave-good/pgadmin3-2.patch; cd ../
patching file pgadmin/include/utils/sysSettings.h

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# cd pgadmin3; patch --context -p1 <
/root/files/pgadmin/dave-good/pgadmin3-3.patch; cd ../
patching file pgadmin/ctl/ctlCheckTreeView.cpp
patching file pgadmin/db/pgConn.cpp
patching file pgadmin/frm/events.cpp
patching file pgadmin/frm/frmMain.cpp
patching file pgadmin/include/ctl/ctlCheckTreeView.h
patching file pgadmin/include/db/pgConn.h
patching file pgadmin/include/frm/frmMain.h
patching file pgadmin/include/images/module.mk
patching file pgadmin/include/schema/pgTable.h
patching file pgadmin/include/schema/pgTrigger.h
patching file pgadmin/include/utils/module.mk
patching file pgadmin/include/utils/pasteTables.h
patching file pgadmin/schema/pgColumn.cpp
patching file pgadmin/ui/frmCopyTables.xrc
patching file pgadmin/ui/module.mk
patching file pgadmin/utils/module.mk
patching file pgadmin/utils/pasteTables.cpp

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# cp
/root/files/pgadmin/dave-good/pastetables.png
pgadmin3/pgadmin/include/images

root@vlD-kuci:/home/src/vlada/vk# ./build-debug.sh
set -e
rm -rf debug
mkdir debug
cd pgadmin3
bash bootstrap
Checking aclocal...
Checking automake...
Stamping the version number...
Configuring the build system...
+ aclocal-1.11
+ autoheader
+ automake-1.11 --foreign --add-missing --copy
+ autoconf
cd ./pgadmin
./ver_svn.sh
cd ../../debug
export CXXFLAGS="-gdwarf-2 -g3"
../pgadmin3/configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgadmin3-debug
--enable-debug --enable-databasedesigner --srcdir=../pgadmin3
--with-pgsql=/home/src/postgresql-devel/20120502 >
configure-out-debug.log 2>&1
make > make-out-debug.log 2>&1
# make install > make-install-out-debug.log 2>&1
exit 0

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 22.September 2012

Attachment

Re: Information for added functionalities

From
Dave Page
Date:
Patch 3 (the only one I've looked at) still modifies at least one
module.mk file, and it's not appropriate to include part of the
unrelated settings flush functionality in it. That makes it very hard
to review the changes individually.

I've also asked a number of times for you to post the patches on
individual threads. I'm not just asking that to be awkward, but
because it's hard to keep discussion of each patch separate if they're
all in the same thread, and makes future searching of the archives
very difficult.

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Vladimir Kokovic
> [...]
> + autoconf
> cd ./pgadmin
> ./ver_svn.sh
> cd ../../debug
> export CXXFLAGS="-gdwarf-2 -g3"
> ../pgadmin3/configure --prefix=/usr/local/pgadmin3-debug
> --enable-debug --enable-databasedesigner --srcdir=../pgadmin3
> --with-pgsql=/home/src/postgresql-devel/20120502 >
> configure-out-debug.log 2>&1
> make > make-out-debug.log 2>&1
> # make install > make-install-out-debug.log 2>&1
> exit 0
>

> Best regards
> Vladimir Kokovic
> Belgrade, Serbia, 22.September 2012

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Information for added functionalities

Date:
Hi,

I will open individual threads.

Patch 3 "module.mk" explanation:
pgadmin/include/images/module.mk - new file pastetables.png
pgadmin/include/utils/module.mk - new files pasteTables.h and PgadminScanner.h
pgadmin/ui/module.mk - new file frmCopyTables.xrc
pgadmin/utils/module.mk - new file pasteTables.cpp

Best regards
Vladimir Kokovic
Belgrade, Serbia, 23.September 2012