PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Ciro Martins

Hello,

I am a teacher at a Portuguese university, and we are using pgadmin to manage our Postgre databases.
We would like to access the Postgre Server through a proxy. However, we could not find any option in the pgadmin to configure a proxy address in version 1.14. Since version 1.4 had that option, we would like to know if there exists any way to do this in the last 1.14 version of pgadmin.

Thanks in advance for your help and support.

Best regards,
Ciro Martins

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 22:16 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a teacher at a Portuguese university, and we are using pgadmin to
> manage our Postgre databases.
> We would like to access the Postgre Server through a proxy. However, we
> could not find any option in the pgadmin to configure a proxy address in
> version 1.14. Since version 1.4 had that option, we would like to know
> if there exists any way to do this in the last 1.14 version of pgadmin.

Not sure which option you're talking about, but we try not to remove
option. So I would be surprised if that was the case.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 22:16 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am a teacher at a Portuguese university, and we are using pgadmin to
>> manage our Postgre databases.
>> We would like to access the Postgre Server through a proxy. However, we
>> could not find any option in the pgadmin to configure a proxy address in
>> version 1.14. Since version 1.4 had that option, we would like to know
>> if there exists any way to do this in the last 1.14 version of pgadmin.
>>

> Not sure which option you're talking about, but we try not to remove
> option. So I would be surprised if that was the case.

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as a proxy server for
PostgreSQL, unless you count pgPool or pgBouncer - and pgAdmin should
connect through them just fine without any special options. We've
certainly never removed any features for connecting through a proxy
(they were never there in the first place).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:04 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 22:16 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am a teacher at a Portuguese university, and we are using pgadmin to
>>> manage our Postgre databases.
>>> We would like to access the Postgre Server through a proxy. However, we
>>> could not find any option in the pgadmin to configure a proxy address in
>>> version 1.14. Since version 1.4 had that option, we would like to know
>>> if there exists any way to do this in the last 1.14 version of pgadmin.
>>>

>> Not sure which option you're talking about, but we try not to remove
>> option. So I would be surprised if that was the case.
>
> As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as a proxy server for
> PostgreSQL, unless you count pgPool or pgBouncer - and pgAdmin should
> connect through them just fine without any special options. We've
> certainly never removed any features for connecting through a proxy
> (they were never there in the first place).

It should work through SOCKS proxies (postgresql connections in
general, not sure about pgadmin). But libpq has never had native socks
support as far as I know - but you should be able to use something
like tsocks with it.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Please, reply to the list so that people can answer, not just me.

On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 00:24 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:

> The option I am speaking about is the "HTTP proxy" as in the version
> 1.4:
>
> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/options-tab1.html

I wasn't aware of such option. It for sure doesn't exist anymore.

Anyway, AFAIUI, it isn't an option to connect to a PostgreSQL server
through a HTTP server. It's a HTTP proxy if you need to get the help on
a web server and need to get through an HTTP proxy to access the web.

Dave, correct me if I'm wrong. I wasn't there at that time.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Please, reply to the list so that people can answer, not just me.
>

> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 00:24 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:
>>
>> The option I am speaking about is the "HTTP proxy" as in the version
>> 1.4:
>>
>> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/options-tab1.html
>>

> I wasn't aware of such option. It for sure doesn't exist anymore.
>
> Anyway, AFAIUI, it isn't an option to connect to a PostgreSQL server
> through a HTTP server. It's a HTTP proxy if you need to get the help on
> a web server and need to get through an HTTP proxy to access the web.
>
> Dave, correct me if I'm wrong. I wasn't there at that time.

Oh, that sort of proxy :-).

Apparently I removed it here:
http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=0937dc7357c9940fe0fd4bd34c5154eb70db24f3

I can't find any references about why it was removed as part of that
commit though - I suspect it was because we figured no one needed it
(and as this is the first complaint I've heard after 5 years, I guess
statistically that was pretty much correct).

--

Date:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Please, reply to the list so that people can answer, not just me.
>>

>> On Wed, 2012-05-09 at 00:24 +0100, Ciro Martins wrote:
>>>
>>> The option I am speaking about is the "HTTP proxy" as in the version
>>> 1.4:
>>>
>>> http://www.pgadmin.org/docs/1.4/options-tab1.html
>>>

>> I wasn't aware of such option. It for sure doesn't exist anymore.
>>
>> Anyway, AFAIUI, it isn't an option to connect to a PostgreSQL server
>> through a HTTP server. It's a HTTP proxy if you need to get the help on
>> a web server and need to get through an HTTP proxy to access the web.
>>
>> Dave, correct me if I'm wrong. I wasn't there at that time.
>
> Oh, that sort of proxy :-).
>
> Apparently I removed it here:
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=0937dc7357c9940fe0fd4bd34c5154eb70db24f3
>
> I can't find any references about why it was removed as part of that
> commit though - I suspect it was because we figured no one needed it
> (and as this is the first complaint I've heard after 5 years, I guess
> statistically that was pretty much correct).

The switch from using an internal webbrowser to loading the system
default one moved the proxy responsibility to the browser, I would
guess?

--

Date:
On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> Apparently I removed it here:
>> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=pgadmin3.git;a=commit;h=0937dc7357c9940fe0fd4bd34c5154eb70db24f3
>>
>> I can't find any references about why it was removed as part of that
>> commit though - I suspect it was because we figured no one needed it
>> (and as this is the first complaint I've heard after 5 years, I guess
>> statistically that was pretty much correct).
>
> The switch from using an internal webbrowser to loading the system
> default one moved the proxy responsibility to the browser, I would
> guess?

D'oh! Of course. Clearly I need more coffee.

To clarify for Ciro; we removed the PG/Slony docs from the
distribution and changed the documentation viewer such that if you use
the PG/Slony docs, it'll use your default web browser (because
wxWidgets only supports a small amount of the HTML 4 spec, and
no/limited CSS iirc). Therefore, the proxy setting is obsolete because
pgAdmin never tries to display external HTML itself.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: PGAdmin - access through proxy

From
Ciro Martins

Thanks a lot for your clarification and your avalilability. Now, I understood what tha option meant.
Thanks.