Altering column collation

From
Thom Brown
Date:
Hi,

Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.

Regards

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment

Re: Altering column collation

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> [...]
> Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
> column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
> that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.

Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)

I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
columns)? Any ideas?

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Date:
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:32 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> > [...]
> > Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
> > column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
> > that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.
> >

> Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
>
> I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
> it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
> move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
> changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
> both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
> columns)? Any ideas?

Dave, I would like to know what you think of this.

--

Date:
On 19 July 2011 08:32, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>> [...]
>> Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
>> column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
>> that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.
>>

> Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
>
> I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
> it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
> move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
> changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
> both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
> columns)? Any ideas?

Why can't we apply the patch to 1.14?  I don't recall making any
previous changes to dlgColumn.cpp.  I just switched to 1.14,
fast-forwarded all updates, applied the patch, built it, and it
behaves correctly.

--

Date:
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 20:43 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 19 July 2011 08:32, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
> >> column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
> >> that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.
> >>

> > Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
> >
> > I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
> > it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
> > move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
> > changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
> > both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
> > columns)? Any ideas?
>
> Why can't we apply the patch to 1.14?  I don't recall making any
> previous changes to dlgColumn.cpp.  I just switched to 1.14,
> fast-forwarded all updates, applied the patch, built it, and it
> behaves correctly.

We could apply it, but it doesn't work. I guess you did changes on
"Prevent duplicate members' names in a composite type" that are needed
for "Fix weird behaviour when changing column's collation" to make it
work.

--
Guillaume
  http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
  http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Altering column collation

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 09:32 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 00:48 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>> > [...]
>> > Attached is a patch which fixes #328.  Currently if you change a
>> > column's collation, it actually drops the column.  This changes it so
>> > that it issues an ALTER TYPE to adjust the collation instead.
>> >

>> Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
>>
>> I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
>> it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
>> move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
>> changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
>> both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
>> columns)? Any ideas?
>>

> Dave, I would like to know what you think of this.

Err, I never even looked at the collation feature. Let's see what Thom
comes up with following your comment that it applies but doesn't work,
and argue about it then if necessary. Looking back at the thread
though, it does seem like a bug that should be resolved.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

Date:
On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 21:07 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 8:27 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> >> >

> >> Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
> >>
> >> I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
> >> it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
> >> move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
> >> changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
> >> both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
> >> columns)? Any ideas?
> >>

> > Dave, I would like to know what you think of this.
>
> Err, I never even looked at the collation feature. Let's see what Thom
> comes up with following your comment that it applies but doesn't work,
> and argue about it then if necessary. Looking back at the thread
> though, it does seem like a bug that should be resolved.

OK.

--

Date:
On 19 July 2011 21:04, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-07-19 at 20:43 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
>> >>

>> > Pushed on master. Thanks for yet another patch :)
>> >
>> > I didn't push it on 1.14 yet. The patch doesn't work here, and I guess
>> > it's because I didn't push your previous patch. I'm not sure on the best
>> > move here. Should we simply remove the bug (no change detected when
>> > changing collation on the column properties dialog)? or should we apply
>> > both patches (which will give us bugfix, and better handling of
>> > columns)? Any ideas?
>>
>> Why can't we apply the patch to 1.14?  I don't recall making any
>> previous changes to dlgColumn.cpp.  I just switched to 1.14,
>> fast-forwarded all updates, applied the patch, built it, and it
>> behaves correctly.
>>

> We could apply it, but it doesn't work. I guess you did changes on
> "Prevent duplicate members' names in a composite type" that are needed
> for "Fix weird behaviour when changing column's collation" to make it
> work.

It seems to work if you go to the table properties and edit the
columns from there, but not if you go into the column directly.  I
tried making a change to detect the collation drop-down change, but
for some reason it either still doesn't pick it up at all, or doesn't
show the initial "-- nothing to change" in the SQL tab, but in that
latter case it does show the correct SQL when changing collation.  I'm
not sure what's going on there.

--

Date:
On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 10:56 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 19 July 2011 21:04, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

> >> Why can't we apply the patch to 1.14?  I don't recall making any
> >> previous changes to dlgColumn.cpp.  I just switched to 1.14,
> >> fast-forwarded all updates, applied the patch, built it, and it
> >> behaves correctly.
> >>

> > We could apply it, but it doesn't work. I guess you did changes on
> > "Prevent duplicate members' names in a composite type" that are needed
> > for "Fix weird behaviour when changing column's collation" to make it
> > work.
>
> It seems to work if you go to the table properties and edit the
> columns from there, but not if you go into the column directly.  I
> tried making a change to detect the collation drop-down change, but
> for some reason it either still doesn't pick it up at all, or doesn't
> show the initial "-- nothing to change" in the SQL tab, but in that
> latter case it does show the correct SQL when changing collation.  I'm
> not sure what's going on there.

Same problem here. Both on 1.14 and master. Seems like I commit a wrong
patch. My bad. Trying to fix it now.

--

Date:
On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 21:44 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-07-20 at 10:56 +0100, Thom Brown wrote:

> > > We could apply it, but it doesn't work. I guess you did changes on
> > > "Prevent duplicate members' names in a composite type" that are needed
> > > for "Fix weird behaviour when changing column's collation" to make it
> > > work.
> >
> > It seems to work if you go to the table properties and edit the
> > columns from there, but not if you go into the column directly.  I
> > tried making a change to detect the collation drop-down change, but
> > for some reason it either still doesn't pick it up at all, or doesn't
> > show the initial "-- nothing to change" in the SQL tab, but in that
> > latter case it does show the correct SQL when changing collation.  I'm
> > not sure what's going on there.
> >

> Same problem here. Both on 1.14 and master. Seems like I commit a wrong
> patch. My bad. Trying to fix it now.

Fixed.

--

Date:
On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 22:54 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 21:44 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> > > It seems to work if you go to the table properties and edit the
> > > columns from there, but not if you go into the column directly.  I
> > > tried making a change to detect the collation drop-down change, but
> > > for some reason it either still doesn't pick it up at all, or doesn't
> > > show the initial "-- nothing to change" in the SQL tab, but in that
> > > latter case it does show the correct SQL when changing collation.  I'm
> > > not sure what's going on there.
> > >

> > Same problem here. Both on 1.14 and master. Seems like I commit a wrong
> > patch. My bad. Trying to fix it now.
> >

> Fixed.

And thanks, Thom, for the original patch :)

--

Date:
On 21 July 2011 21:58, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 22:54 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

>> > Same problem here. Both on 1.14 and master. Seems like I commit a wrong
>> > patch. My bad. Trying to fix it now.
>> >

>> Fixed.
>>

> And thanks, Thom, for the original patch :)

Cheers for fixing the problem. :)