pgAdmin and pg_service.conf

From
"Massa, Harald Armin"
Date:
Hello!

is there any deep technical reason why pgAdmin does not support
connections via service-names corresponding to pg_service.conf, or is
it just sth in the level "nobody asked for it before / we did not get
around to do it" ?

Harald

--
GHUM GmbH
Harald Armin Massa

Amtsgericht Stuttgart, HRB 734971
-
persuadere.
et programmare

Re: pgAdmin and pg_service.conf

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 24/02/2011 21:08, Massa, Harald Armin a écrit :
> [...]
> is there any deep technical reason why pgAdmin does not support
> connections via service-names corresponding to pg_service.conf, or is
> it just sth in the level "nobody asked for it before / we did not get
> around to do it" ?

The latter.

I added a ticket to work on this once we'll have some time.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin and pg_service.conf

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 24/02/2011 21:08, Massa, Harald Armin a écrit :
>> [...]
>> is there any deep technical reason why pgAdmin does not support
>> connections via service-names corresponding to pg_service.conf, or is
>> it just sth in the level "nobody asked for it before / we did not get
>> around to do it" ?
>>

> The latter.
>
> I added a ticket to work on this once we'll have some time.

Why? Nobody ever asked for it before, and there are 101 other things
that people have asked for that we haven't got to yet! Given the
current lack of interest, I don't think we should expend the time to
develop or the additional maintenance burden.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
Le 24/02/2011 23:52, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 24/02/2011 21:08, Massa, Harald Armin a écrit :
>>> [...]
>>> is there any deep technical reason why pgAdmin does not support
>>> connections via service-names corresponding to pg_service.conf, or is
>>> it just sth in the level "nobody asked for it before / we did not get
>>> around to do it" ?
>>>

>> The latter.
>>
>> I added a ticket to work on this once we'll have some time.
>
> Why? Nobody ever asked for it before, and there are 101 other things
> that people have asked for that we haven't got to yet! Given the
> current lack of interest, I don't think we should expend the time to
> develop or the additional maintenance burden.

I don't expect to work on this any time soon, but I don't want to forget
about it. This would be an interesting feature.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Date:
Le 25/02/2011 00:48, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 24/02/2011 23:52, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 10:38 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>>

>>> The latter.
>>>
>>> I added a ticket to work on this once we'll have some time.
>>
>> Why? Nobody ever asked for it before, and there are 101 other things
>> that people have asked for that we haven't got to yet! Given the
>> current lack of interest, I don't think we should expend the time to
>> develop or the additional maintenance burden.
>>

> I don't expect to work on this any time soon, but I don't want to forget
> about it. This would be an interesting feature.

See attached path. Harald, if you can try it, it would be great.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: pgAdmin and pg_service.conf

From
Peter Geoghegan
Date:
On 24 February 2011 22:52, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> I added a ticket to work on this once we'll have some time.
>
> Why? Nobody ever asked for it before, and there are 101 other things
> that people have asked for that we haven't got to yet! Given the
> current lack of interest, I don't think we should expend the time to
> develop or the additional maintenance burden.

I think that you'd be more inclined to commit this if you knew how
Harald intended to use it. Specifically:
http://2ndquadrant.blogspot.com/2011/03/switchover-for-common-people.html
.

I have taken a look at Guillaume's patch, and it seems reasonable and
straightforward to me.

Apparent demand shouldn't be an overriding consideration when deciding
whether or not a feature is to be developed. Build it and in some
cases, they will come.

Incidentally, why is pgConn::libpqVersion a double, rather than an
integer as returned by PQserverVersion()? Seems brittle, considering
that some incredibly common values cannot be exactly represented as
floating point numbers, such as 0.1 .