Number of selected characters.

From
Vinicius Santos
Date:
Hello,

I think it's useful information on how many characters were selected in
the SQL editor.

For me it helps a lot in some cases.

What do you think?

I'm sending a patch.

Thanks.

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Vinicius Santos
Date:
Em 15/12/2010 21:55, Vinicius Santos escreveu:

> I'm sending a patch.
>
> Thanks.

Or Better.

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 16/12/2010 01:25, Vinicius Santos a écrit :
> Em 15/12/2010 21:55, Vinicius Santos escreveu:
>>
>> I'm sending a patch.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Or Better.

Commited. I replaced the / character with a comma, but nothing else.
Thanks for this patch.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 16/12/2010 01:25, Vinicius Santos a écrit :
>> Em 15/12/2010 21:55, Vinicius Santos escreveu:
>>>
>>> I'm sending a patch.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>
>> Or Better.
>>

> Commited. I replaced the / character with a comma, but nothing else.
> Thanks for this patch.

Sorry - I missed this. I object to this patch for a number of reasons:

- It's not even remotely obvious what "Sl" means in the status bar.

- It's of extremely limited utility in my opinion.

- It clutters the already busy status bar.

- It adds statistical information in an area of the status bar that is
used to convey positional information.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
Le 04/01/2011 14:43, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Or Better.
>>>

>> Commited. I replaced the / character with a comma, but nothing else.
>> Thanks for this patch.
>
> Sorry - I missed this. I object to this patch for a number of reasons:
>
> - It's not even remotely obvious what "Sl" means in the status bar.

Ch is not obvious either. But, what about Sel?

> - It's of extremely limited utility in my opinion.

Doesn't seem like a good reason to me. Actually, I read this as "it has
a utility to some". So I don't see why we have to get rid of it. We
probably don't have the time to do it, but as somebody wrote it...

> - It clutters the already busy status bar.

It doesn't take a lot of space. I understand the status bar contains a
lot of stuff, but this is not much to add.

> - It adds statistical information in an area of the status bar that is
> used to convey positional information.

It could get its own cell, if this is what you mean.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Ch is not obvious either. But, what about Sel?

It is obvious when it changes to a new value every time you move the
cursor. Sl (or Sel) isn't - you don't see it change in normal
operation.

>> - It's of extremely limited utility in my opinion.
>>

> Doesn't seem like a good reason to me. Actually, I read this as "it has
> a utility to some". So I don't see why we have to get rid of it. We
> probably don't have the time to do it, but as somebody wrote it...

We have always added features to pgAdmin on the basis that they
provide widespread utility. We have refused countless feature requests
for things that only one or two people have asked for.

>> - It clutters the already busy status bar.
>>

> It doesn't take a lot of space. I understand the status bar contains a
> lot of stuff, but this is not much to add.

I disagree. It may be small, but it makes it noticably harder to read
that area of the UI at a glance.

/D

--

Date:
Le 04/01/2011 16:27, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Ch is not obvious either. But, what about Sel?
>
> It is obvious when it changes to a new value every time you move the
> cursor. Sl (or Sel) isn't - you don't see it change in normal
> operation.

We could hide it when there is no selection.

>>> - It's of extremely limited utility in my opinion.
>>>

>> Doesn't seem like a good reason to me. Actually, I read this as "it has
>> a utility to some". So I don't see why we have to get rid of it. We
>> probably don't have the time to do it, but as somebody wrote it...
>
> We have always added features to pgAdmin on the basis that they
> provide widespread utility. We have refused countless feature requests
> for things that only one or two people have asked for.
>
>>> - It clutters the already busy status bar.
>>>

>> It doesn't take a lot of space. I understand the status bar contains a
>> lot of stuff, but this is not much to add.
>
> I disagree. It may be small, but it makes it noticably harder to read
> that area of the UI at a glance.

Well, feel free to undo it if you really want that.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 04/01/2011 16:27, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 2:05 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>> Ch is not obvious either. But, what about Sel?
>>
>> It is obvious when it changes to a new value every time you move the
>> cursor. Sl (or Sel) isn't - you don't see it change in normal
>> operation.
>>

> We could hide it when there is no selection.

It it had it's own panel, was empty when there was no selection, and
had a slightly more descriptive text ("N chars"?), I could probably
live with it.

--

Date:
Le 04/01/2011 17:34, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 04/01/2011 16:27, Dave Page a écrit :
>>>
>>> It is obvious when it changes to a new value every time you move the
>>> cursor. Sl (or Sel) isn't - you don't see it change in normal
>>> operation.
>>>

>> We could hide it when there is no selection.
>
> It it had it's own panel, was empty when there was no selection, and
> had a slightly more descriptive text ("N chars"?), I could probably
> live with it.

Done. Patch and screenshots attached.

Does it look like what you intended?

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Re: Number of selected characters.

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le 04/01/2011 17:34, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:41 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> We could hide it when there is no selection.
>>
>> It it had it's own panel, was empty when there was no selection, and
>> had a slightly more descriptive text ("N chars"?), I could probably
>> live with it.
>>

> Done. Patch and screenshots attached.
>
> Does it look like what you intended?

Much better - though I still think it should say:

33 chars

not

sel 33

which is pretty cryptic.

--

Date:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>> Le 04/01/2011 17:34, Dave Page a écrit :

>>> It it had it's own panel, was empty when there was no selection, and
>>> had a slightly more descriptive text ("N chars"?), I could probably
>>> live with it.
>>>

>> Done. Patch and screenshots attached.
>>
>> Does it look like what you intended?
>
> Much better - though I still think it should say:
>
> 33 chars
>
> not
>
> sel 33
>
> which is pretty cryptic.

Oh, and thanks for taking the time to do this - it is appreciated.

--

Date:
Le 21/01/2011 10:17, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> Done. Patch and screenshots attached.
>>>
>>> Does it look like what you intended?
>>
>> Much better - though I still think it should say:
>>
>> 33 chars
>>
>> not
>>
>> sel 33
>>
>> which is pretty cryptic.
>
> Oh, and thanks for taking the time to do this - it is appreciated.

Done. Patch and screenshot attached.

--
Guillaume
 http://www.postgresql.fr

Date:
Le 22/01/2011 01:18, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le 21/01/2011 10:17, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:16 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> Much better - though I still think it should say:
>>>
>>> 33 chars
>>>
>>> not
>>>
>>> sel 33
>>>
>>> which is pretty cryptic.
>>
>> Oh, and thanks for taking the time to do this - it is appreciated.
>>

> Done. Patch and screenshot attached.

Commited.

--
Guillaume