Database reconnect patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
The attached patch against svn trunk is a first cut WIP offering an
option in the main window to reconnect to the database server if the
connection is lost.

I'd appreciate some feedback please, and some thought given to the
question "does this break anything in any non-obvious ways?"

--
Dave Page

Re: Database reconnect patch

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le jeudi 19 novembre 2009 à 08:29:00, Dave Page a écrit :
> The attached patch against svn trunk is a first cut WIP offering an
> option in the main window to reconnect to the database server if the
> connection is lost.
>
> I'd appreciate some feedback please, and some thought given to the
> question "does this break anything in any non-obvious ways?"

I have tried it, and it works great. Anyways, I have one question: why does it
ask if we want to reconnect? psql doesn't ask and try to reconnect as soon as
it discovers the issue. I don't really understand what kind of issue a direct
reconnect will bring us.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Re: Database reconnect patch

From
Dave Page
Date:
You might know the server/network is down, so making the reconnect
optional allows you to avoid a potentially long timeout.

It also makes it clear to the user that a reconnect is happening. You
can see that in the terminal with psql, but in the gui, it would be
easy to miss.

--

Date:
Le dimanche 22 novembre 2009 à 19:18:11, Dave Page a écrit :
> You might know the server/network is down, so making the reconnect
> optional allows you to avoid a potentially long timeout.

Right, I didn't think about that kind of issue.

> It also makes it clear to the user that a reconnect is happening. You
> can see that in the terminal with psql, but in the gui, it would be
> easy to miss.

Sure.

Thanks for your answers.

--