Bug tracker

From
"Mickael Deloison"
Date:
Hi,

This is a suggestion: with the two Google Summer of Code projects (GQB
and pgScript) I think that installing a bug tracker (and a feature
request list) for pgAdmin should be a good idea. If there is a bug in
one part of pgAdmin (GQB, pgScript or pgAdmin) we would be able to:
  1) Categorize the bug or the feature
  2) Send an email automatically to the person supposed to correct the
bug / add the feature
  3) Tell when the bug is fixed / the feature added

What do you think about that?

Best regards,
Mickael

Re: Bug tracker

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a suggestion: with the two Google Summer of Code projects (GQB
> and pgScript) I think that installing a bug tracker (and a feature
> request list) for pgAdmin should be a good idea. If there is a bug in
> one part of pgAdmin (GQB, pgScript or pgAdmin) we would be able to:
>  1) Categorize the bug or the feature
>  2) Send an email automatically to the person supposed to correct the
> bug / add the feature
>  3) Tell when the bug is fixed / the feature added
>
> What do you think about that?

It's something Magnus and I have talked about - the problem is there
are few good trackers out there imho. Bugzilla in particular which
many people seem to like is vastly over complicated for anything we'd
do.

We have also been discussing another topic which may be work rolling
into this discussion - that is, a move to git over svn (note that the
decision there is a yes/no one as far as I'm concerned - I have no
intention of looking at anything else).

--
Dave Page

Re: Bug tracker

From
Magnus Hagander
Dave Page wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a suggestion: with the two Google Summer of Code projects (GQB
>> and pgScript) I think that installing a bug tracker (and a feature
>> request list) for pgAdmin should be a good idea. If there is a bug in
>> one part of pgAdmin (GQB, pgScript or pgAdmin) we would be able to:
>>  1) Categorize the bug or the feature
>>  2) Send an email automatically to the person supposed to correct the
>> bug / add the feature
>>  3) Tell when the bug is fixed / the feature added
>>
>> What do you think about that?
>
> It's something Magnus and I have talked about - the problem is there

We did. Let me state for the record that I am in favor of doing it. And
I got the impression that Dave is as well, but not unreservedly (if
that's a word).

> are few good trackers out there imho. Bugzilla in particular which
> many people seem to like is vastly over complicated for anything we'd
> do.

Yes. I definitely would not like to see Bugzilla. I want to see
something that's really simple, but I do think that it would be very
helpful.

I know Dave doesn't entirely agree with me, but I like the tracker
functionality in Trac. Mainly because it's simple, and it does most of
what I want. I'm not saying it has to be Trac, absolutely not, but
that's about the level of complexity that I think is reasonable.

Another option that is worth looking at is Roundup, I think. For an
example of what it looks like, look at http://bugs.python.org. I haven't
installed it myself, but I'm told it's nice and easy to install and use.

One thing, btw, I find important - it should be an actual issue tracker
and *not* a support forum. We don't want a bazillion feature requests or
people not understanding how things are supposed to work to be
registered in there.

> We have also been discussing another topic which may be work rolling
> into this discussion - that is, a move to git over svn (note that the
> decision there is a yes/no one as far as I'm concerned - I have no
> intention of looking at anything else).

I'd say +1 on the move. I've been working a bit with git lately, and I
can certainly see the potential. I think it would particularly be good
for things like these gsoc projects - and it would help in the review of
such big projects as well.

The pgadmin code is also, from a SCM perspective, fairly simple. Thus,
the conversion shouldn't be too difficult.

Another question around it is if we want/need an integrated environment
if we go the step. For example, Trac has a very good integration with
SVN. The integration with git is not at all as good yet.

Personally, I don't think we need this. We could just use gitweb.

//Magnus

Re: Bug tracker

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Magnus Hagander a écrit :
> Dave Page wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 25, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Mickael Deloison <mdeloison@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> This is a suggestion: with the two Google Summer of Code projects (GQB
>>> and pgScript) I think that installing a bug tracker (and a feature
>>> request list) for pgAdmin should be a good idea. If there is a bug in
>>> one part of pgAdmin (GQB, pgScript or pgAdmin) we would be able to:
>>>  1) Categorize the bug or the feature
>>>  2) Send an email automatically to the person supposed to correct the
>>> bug / add the feature
>>>  3) Tell when the bug is fixed / the feature added
>>>
>>> What do you think about that?
>> It's something Magnus and I have talked about - the problem is there
>
> We did. Let me state for the record that I am in favor of doing it. And
> I got the impression that Dave is as well, but not unreservedly (if
> that's a word).

I think it would be good.

>> are few good trackers out there imho. Bugzilla in particular which
>> many people seem to like is vastly over complicated for anything we'd
>> do.
>
> Yes. I definitely would not like to see Bugzilla. I want to see
> something that's really simple, but I do think that it would be very
> helpful.

I completely agree. Bugzilla is too much for us.

> I know Dave doesn't entirely agree with me, but I like the tracker
> functionality in Trac. Mainly because it's simple, and it does most of
> what I want. I'm not saying it has to be Trac, absolutely not, but
> that's about the level of complexity that I think is reasonable.

Trac is a good one :)

> Another option that is worth looking at is Roundup, I think. For an
> example of what it looks like, look at http://bugs.python.org. I haven't
> installed it myself, but I'm told it's nice and easy to install and use.
>
> One thing, btw, I find important - it should be an actual issue tracker
> and *not* a support forum. We don't want a bazillion feature requests or
> people not understanding how things are supposed to work to be
> registered in there.

+1

>> We have also been discussing another topic which may be work rolling
>> into this discussion - that is, a move to git over svn (note that the
>> decision there is a yes/no one as far as I'm concerned - I have no
>> intention of looking at anything else).
>
> I'd say +1 on the move. I've been working a bit with git lately, and I
> can certainly see the potential. I think it would particularly be good
> for things like these gsoc projects - and it would help in the review of
> such big projects as well.

I never used git but would love to :)

> The pgadmin code is also, from a SCM perspective, fairly simple. Thus,
> the conversion shouldn't be too difficult.
>
> Another question around it is if we want/need an integrated environment
> if we go the step. For example, Trac has a very good integration with
> SVN. The integration with git is not at all as good yet.
>
> Personally, I don't think we need this. We could just use gitweb.

gitweb is good enough.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org