Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
Erwin Brandstetter
Date:
Hi developers! Hi Dave!

Testing pgAdmin v.1.8.2 (Feb 5 2008), rev: 7050) on WinXP; host: pg 8.2.6 on
Debian Etch

The "Maintain Database" dialog offers the option "FORCE" for REINDEX.
However, this option has been obsolete since pg 7.4. (Last used in pg 7.3)

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-reindex.html

 > FORCE
 >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
> Hi developers! Hi Dave!
>
> Testing pgAdmin v.1.8.2 (Feb 5 2008), rev: 7050) on WinXP; host: pg 8.2.6 on
> Debian Etch
>
> The "Maintain Database" dialog offers the option "FORCE" for REINDEX.
> However, this option has been obsolete since pg 7.4. (Last used in pg 7.3)
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/sql-reindex.html
>
>  > FORCE
>  >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.

Hi Erwin,

Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Date:
dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
> <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>>  > FORCE
>>  >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.
>
> Hi Erwin,
>
> Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
> that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...

Right. But didn't we also have this feature that displays options for pg
version >= x or <= x?
In this case <= 7.3.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
> dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
>  > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
>  > <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>
> >>  > FORCE
>  >>  >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.
>  >
>  > Hi Erwin,
>  >
>  > Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
>  > that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...
>
>  Right. But didn't we also have this feature that displays options for pg
>  version >= x or <= x?
>  In this case <= 7.3.

Err, no? I'm not entirely sure what you mean though.

--

Date:
dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
> <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>> dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
>>  > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Erwin Brandstetter

>>  >>  >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.
>>  >
>>  > Hi Erwin,
>>  >
>>  > Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
>>  > that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...
>>
>>  Right. But didn't we also have this feature that displays options for pg
>>  version >= x or <= x?
>>  In this case <= 7.3.
>
> Err, no? I'm not entirely sure what you mean though.

Like we show comments on roles for pg version >= 8.2 - as this feature does
not exist in earlier versions.

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 3:13 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
> dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
>  > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
>  > <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>  >> dpage@pgadmin.org wrote:
>  >>  > On Tue, Feb 19, 2008 at 10:47 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
>  >>  > <brandstetter@falter.at> wrote:
>  >>
>  >>>>  > FORCE
>  >>  >>  >    This is an obsolete option; it is ignored if specified.
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Hi Erwin,
>  >>  >
>  >>  > Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
>  >>  > that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...
>  >>
>  >>  Right. But didn't we also have this feature that displays options for pg
>  >>  version >= x or <= x?
>  >>  In this case <= 7.3.
>  >
>  > Err, no? I'm not entirely sure what you mean though.
>

>  Like we show comments on roles for pg version >= 8.2 - as this feature does
>  not exist in earlier versions.

Right, but thats a data thing essentially. We don't try to adjust the
UI around new or removed features, except to disable controls where
they shouldn't be used because they will break things.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Robins Tharakan"

Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...

I'll give it a try.

Robins

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Robins Tharakan"
Date:
Hi Dave,

I too thought this was going to be simple :(  Although this is not the final patch, I am mailing this since its getting beyond intriguing to the zone of becoming frustrating. This patch (attached) should have got the job done yesterday itself... but the FORCE checkbox just doesn't go !!

Is there any other file (apart from frmMaintenance.xrc) where its position could be set ? I cant understand how does a clean checkout (with this patch applied) still get a force checkbox, after compilation ?

Any obvious dinosaurs that I am missing here ?

Robins

Thats a candidate for removal in the next release (anyone wanna pickup
that little task?), but 1.8.x is advertised as supporting 7.3...

I'll give it a try.

Robins

Attachment

Date:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I too thought this was going to be simple :(  Although this is not the final
> patch, I am mailing this since its getting beyond intriguing to the zone of
> becoming frustrating. This patch (attached) should have got the job done
> yesterday itself... but the FORCE checkbox just doesn't go !!
>
> Is there any other file (apart from frmMaintenance.xrc) where its position
> could be set ? I cant understand how does a clean checkout (with this patch
> applied) still get a force checkbox, after compilation ?
>
> Any obvious dinosaurs that I am missing here ?

Hi,

I'm just about to leave for FOSDEM so cannot check right now, but my
guess is that you're running a release build, in which for changes to
XRC files to become visible you must run ui/embed-xrc which
regenerates xrcdialogs.cpp from the XRC files.

For testing purposes, a debug build will load the XRC files at
dialogue invocation time so you can edit them, then just re-open the
dialogue.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Robins Tharakan"
Heaven :)

I think you put to words, what I was trying to guess to be the reason. I'll get back.

Thanks
Robins

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I too thought this was going to be simple :(  Although this is not the final
> patch, I am mailing this since its getting beyond intriguing to the zone of
> becoming frustrating. This patch (attached) should have got the job done
> yesterday itself... but the FORCE checkbox just doesn't go !!
>
> Is there any other file (apart from frmMaintenance.xrc) where its position
> could be set ? I cant understand how does a clean checkout (with this patch
> applied) still get a force checkbox, after compilation ?
>
> Any obvious dinosaurs that I am missing here ?

Hi,

I'm just about to leave for FOSDEM so cannot check right now, but my
guess is that you're running a release build, in which for changes to
XRC files to become visible you must run ui/embed-xrc which
regenerates xrcdialogs.cpp from the XRC files.

For testing purposes, a debug build will load the XRC files at
dialogue invocation time so you can edit them, then just re-open the
dialogue.

--
Dave Page
The Oracle-compatible database company

Re: Obsolete "FORCE" option for REINDEX

From
"Robins Tharakan"
Date:
Hi,

Attached is a patch to remove the FORCE option from the Maintenance dialogue box.

Robins

Date:
On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached is a patch to remove the FORCE option from the Maintenance dialogue
> box.

Thanks - committed to SVN Trunk.

--
Dave Page