Blocked by

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Hi!

Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.

Since we're very close to RC, I'm sending it past here before doing
anything more. What do ppl think, are we ok with something like this for
this version or should I sit on it until the next one?

/Magnus

Attachment

Re: Blocked by

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Magnus.

Cool!
I think it is good information.:-)
http://winpg.jp/~saito/pgAdmin/Block_info.png
I want it.
+1!

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

> Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
> a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.
>
> Since we're very close to RC, I'm sending it past here before doing
> anything more. What do ppl think, are we ok with something like this for
> this version or should I sit on it until the next one?
>
> /Magnus

Re: Blocked by

From
Dave Page
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
> a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.
>
> Since we're very close to RC, I'm sending it past here before doing
> anything more. What do ppl think, are we ok with something like this for
> this version or should I sit on it until the next one?

It's useful, but it does involve a string change very close to RC :-( I
need to fight the urge to commit it and stick to the rules I'm afraid -
I say no, not for this release.

As soon as we branch though, let's commit it. I hope we'll rewrite most
of that tool so it may not survive (we've been talking about having a
hierarchical view instead), but we should get it in in case we don't get
that.

/D

Re: Blocked by

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
> > a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.
> >
> > Since we're very close to RC, I'm sending it past here before doing
> > anything more. What do ppl think, are we ok with something like this for
> > this version or should I sit on it until the next one?
>
> It's useful, but it does involve a string change very close to RC :-( I
> need to fight the urge to commit it and stick to the rules I'm afraid -
> I say no, not for this release.

Bummer, but I can't say it's a bad decision :-)

> As soon as we branch though, let's commit it. I hope we'll rewrite most
> of that tool so it may not survive (we've been talking about having a
> hierarchical view instead), but we should get it in in case we don't get
> that.

What's the plan for branching?

//Magnus

Re: Blocked by

From
Dave Page
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 29, 2007 at 11:42:33AM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
>>> a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.
>>>
>>> Since we're very close to RC, I'm sending it past here before doing
>>> anything more. What do ppl think, are we ok with something like this for
>>> this version or should I sit on it until the next one?
>> It's useful, but it does involve a string change very close to RC :-( I
>> need to fight the urge to commit it and stick to the rules I'm afraid -
>> I say no, not for this release.
>
> Bummer, but I can't say it's a bad decision :-)
>
>> As soon as we branch though, let's commit it. I hope we'll rewrite most
>> of that tool so it may not survive (we've been talking about having a
>> hierarchical view instead), but we should get it in in case we don't get
>> that.
>
> What's the plan for branching?

About 10 minutes after I bundle the release I imagine!

/D

Re: Blocked by

From
Dave Page
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Attached patch implements a column in the server status view that shows if
> a transaction is blocked, and what process it's blocked by.

Thanks, patch applied.

/D