Bug in properties dialogue for role

From
Erwin Brandstetter
Date:
Hi!

Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 3 (Aug 10 2007, rev: 6546M). Client
Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8

A bug in the properties dialogue for a role, under "Variables":
While trying to change the "Variable Value", typing most letter keys has
no effect. Only "e" and some punctation marks actually show up in the
text control.
Present in beta 2 and beta 3.

Test case:
CREATE ROLE mytest LOGIN;
ALTER ROLE mytest SET search_path=mytest;
-- Then try changing the value "mytest" to "mytest, public" in the properties
dialogue.

Regards
Erwin

Re: Bug in properties dialogue for role

From
"Dave Page"

Sounds like it thinks you're editting a numeric value. Are you sure you weren't?

/D

Re: Bug in properties dialogue for role

From
Erwin Brandstetter
>> Testing the pgAdmin III 1.8.0  Beta 3 (Aug 10 2007, rev: 6546M). Client
>> Win XP, host: Debian Etch / PG 8.2.4 and Debian Sarge / PG 8.1.8
>>
>> A bug in the properties dialogue for a role, under "Variables":
>> While trying to change the "Variable Value", typing most letter keys has
>> no effect. Only "e" and some punctation marks actually show up in the
>> text control.
>> Present in beta 2 and beta 3.
>>

> Sounds like it thinks you're editting a numeric value. Are you sure you weren't?
>
> /D

I am sure. Try the test case.
But I guess you found the root of the problem right there: pgadmin
probably thinks it is editing a numeric value, though it is text.

Date:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> dpage@postgresql.org wrote:
>>
>> Sounds like it thinks you're editting a numeric value. Are you sure
>> you weren't?
>>
>> /D
>>
> I am sure. Try the test case.
> But I guess you found the root of the problem right there: pgadmin
> probably thinks it is editing a numeric value, though it is text.

I have checked on the docs. I quote from
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/sql-set.html
    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/sql-set.html

/>value/
 >   New value of parameter. Values can be specified as string
constants, identifiers, numbers, or comma-separated lists of these.
DEFAULT can be used to specify resetting the parameter to its default
value.

Identifiers are text. I suspect pgadmin expects numbers, regardless.

Date:
Erwin Brandstetter wrote:
> But I guess you found the root of the problem right there: pgadmin
> probably thinks it is editing a numeric value, though it is text.

Yup - but only when editing an existing value.

Thanks, fixed for databases, roles and users.

Regards, Dave