build environment

From
Giuseppe Sacco
Date:
Hi all,
I have a simple question: what is/are the build environment used by
pgadmin developers? Windows? Solaris? Redhat? Suse? Debian? other?

This is not just a "curiosa"; I am still trying to compile the source on
Debian GNU/linux.

Bye,
Giuseppe

Re: build environment

From
Dave Page
Date:
Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a simple question: what is/are the build environment used by
> pgadmin developers? Windows? Solaris? Redhat? Suse? Debian? other?

I develop primarily on Windows XP and OS X. developer.pgadmin.org builds
nightly on Slackware Linux, though I don't develop on there, except to
fix the odd bug specific to wxGTK. The guys at Sun build on Solaris as
well, using GCC and Sun Studio iirc.

> This is not just a "curiosa"; I am still trying to compile the source on
> Debian GNU/linux.

What compiler version etc is on there? I'm not a Debian user, but from
what I've heard their 'stable' versions can be pretty old.

Regards, Dave.

Re: build environment

From
Giuseppe Sacco
Date:
Il giorno gio, 03/05/2007 alle 13.29 +0100, Dave Page ha scritto:
[...]
> > This is not just a "curiosa"; I am still trying to compile the source on
> > Debian GNU/linux.
>
> What compiler version etc is on there? I'm not a Debian user, but from
> what I've heard their 'stable' versions can be pretty old.

I am using a debian "etch". This version is quiet new since it has been
released less then one month ago.

$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

I download and compiled wxWidget 2.8.2 since the Debian shipped version
is 2.6.3.2.1.5.

configure reports:
PostgreSQL directory:            /usr
PostgreSQL pg_config binary:        /usr/bin/pg_config
PostgreSQL version:            PostgreSQL 8.1.8
PostgreSQL SSL support:                 Present

wxWidgets directory:            /usr/local/wxWidgets-2.8.2
wxWidgets wx-config binary:        /usr/local/wxWidgets-2.8.2/bin/wx-config
wxWidgets version:            wxWidgets 2.8.2

Building a debug version of pgAdmin:    No
Statically linking pgAdmin:        No
Building a Mac OS X appbundle:        No
Include documentation:            Yes

Bye,
Giuseppe

Re: build environment

From
"Florian G. Pflug"
Dave Page wrote:
> Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have a simple question: what is/are the build environment used by
>> pgadmin developers? Windows? Solaris? Redhat? Suse? Debian? other?

I'm doing nightly builds on OSX 10.3 with wx 2.8.3, and I also sucessfully
built 1.6 on ubuntu edgy a few weeks ago.

Please post the output of "gcc --version" on your machine, and check
if you have any environment variables like
CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAGS,.. set in the shell where you
issue "configure" and "make". Please also add the exact arguments
to configure you used.

I'm beginning to suspect that some stray "-I<somedir>" options get passed
to gcc on your machine, and that it thereforce includes some wrong files.

As a crosscheck, please also try the changes to postgres.h (the one shipped
with the pgadmin sources, not some other postgres you might find in
/usr/include) that I suggested in the other thread.

In postgres.h, replace
#define YYTOKENTYPE
#define YYSTYPE int
with
#define YYSTYPE_IS_DECLARED
#define DECIMAL DECIMAL_P
   typedef int YYSTYPE;

greetings, Florian Pflug

Re: build environment

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Giuseppe Sacco a écrit :
> I have a simple question: what is/are the build environment used by
> pgadmin developers? Windows? Solaris? Redhat? Suse? Debian? other?

Kubuntu Feisty. Compiles on my laptop (fresh install), doesn't compile
on my desk PC (upgraded from 6.10).

When I'll have more time, I'll try on Windows Vista.

> This is not just a "curiosa"; I am still trying to compile the source on
> Debian GNU/linux.

On my desk PC, I still have the issue you mentioned on a previous mail.
I don't see big differences between the laptop and the PC. I'm still
working on it.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Re: build environment

From
Leszek Trenkner
Date:
Hi all,

Thu, 03 May 2007 14:54:12 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> I'm doing nightly builds on OSX 10.3 with wx 2.8.3, and I also sucessfully
> built 1.6 on ubuntu edgy a few weeks ago.

I'm using Ubuntu Fiesty (upgraded from edgy). I've just compiled
pgadmin3-1.6.3 from sources without any problems. But SVN version
(1.8?) doesn't compile - with exactly the same errors as Giuseppe
Sacco reported:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/usr/include/postgresql
-DSSL -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
-I/usr/local/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES
-D__WXGTK__ -O2 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libxml2
-DDATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/\" -Wall
-I../pgadmin/include  -MT keywords.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/keywords.Tpo" -c
-o keywords.o `test -f './db/keywords.c' || echo './'`./db/keywords.c; \
        then mv -f ".deps/keywords.Tpo" ".deps/keywords.Po"; else rm -f
        ".deps/keywords.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from ./db/keywords.c:22: gram.y:122: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘JoinType’

> Please post the output of "gcc --version" on your machine, and check
> if you have any environment variables like
> CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAGS,.. set in the shell where you
> issue "configure" and "make". Please also add the exact arguments
> to configure you used.

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

Just plain ./configure fails. No environment varaiables
(CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAG) set in the shell. I've tried to
compile it with SVN version of postgres 8.3 instead of
distribution-delivered 8.2.x, but it doesn't change anything.

> [...]
> As a crosscheck, please also try the changes to postgres.h (the one
> shipped with the pgadmin sources, not some other postgres you might find
> in /usr/include) that I suggested in the other thread.
>
> In postgres.h, replace
> #define YYTOKENTYPE
> #define YYSTYPE int
> with
> #define YYSTYPE_IS_DECLARED
> #define DECIMAL DECIMAL_P
>    typedef int YYSTYPE;

Unfortunately, as others have reported, it doesn't help :-(
Maybe something is wrong with Debian/Ubuntu build environments...

--
Greetings, Leszek Trenkner

Re: build environment

From
Leszek Trenkner
Date:
Hi all,

Thu, 03 May 2007 14:54:12 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:

> I'm doing nightly builds on OSX 10.3 with wx 2.8.3, and I also sucessfully
> built 1.6 on ubuntu edgy a few weeks ago.

I'm using Ubuntu Fiesty (upgraded from edgy). I've just compiled
pgadmin3-1.6.3 from sources without any problems. But SVN version
(1.8?) doesn't compile - with exactly the same errors as Giuseppe
Sacco reported:

if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/usr/include/postgresql
-DSSL -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
-I/usr/local/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES
-D__WXGTK__ -O2 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libxml2
-DDATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/\" -Wall
-I../pgadmin/include  -MT keywords.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/keywords.Tpo" -c
-o keywords.o `test -f './db/keywords.c' || echo './'`./db/keywords.c; \
        then mv -f ".deps/keywords.Tpo" ".deps/keywords.Po"; else rm -f
        ".deps/keywords.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
In file included from ./db/keywords.c:22: gram.y:122: error: expected
specifier-qualifier-list before ‘JoinType’

> Please post the output of "gcc --version" on your machine, and check
> if you have any environment variables like
> CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAGS,.. set in the shell where you
> issue "configure" and "make". Please also add the exact arguments
> to configure you used.

gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)

Just plain ./configure fails. No environment varaiables
(CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAG) set in the shell. I've tried to
compile it with SVN version of postgres 8.3 instead of
distribution-delivered 8.2.x, but it doesn't change anything.

> [...]
> As a crosscheck, please also try the changes to postgres.h (the one
> shipped with the pgadmin sources, not some other postgres you might find
> in /usr/include) that I suggested in the other thread.
>
> In postgres.h, replace
> #define YYTOKENTYPE
> #define YYSTYPE int
> with
> #define YYSTYPE_IS_DECLARED
> #define DECIMAL DECIMAL_P
>    typedef int YYSTYPE;

Unfortunately, as others have reported, it doesn't help :-(
Maybe something is wrong with Debian/Ubuntu build environments...

--
Greetings, Leszek Trenkner

Re: build environment

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Hi,

Leszek Trenkner a écrit :
> Thu, 03 May 2007 14:54:12 +0200, Florian G. Pflug wrote:
>
>> I'm doing nightly builds on OSX 10.3 with wx 2.8.3, and I also sucessfully
>> built 1.6 on ubuntu edgy a few weeks ago.
>>

> I'm using Ubuntu Fiesty (upgraded from edgy). I've just compiled
> pgadmin3-1.6.3 from sources without any problems. But SVN version
> (1.8?) doesn't compile - with exactly the same errors as Giuseppe
> Sacco reported:
>
> if gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..   -I/usr/include/postgresql
> -DSSL -I/usr/local/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.8
> -I/usr/local/include/wx-2.8 -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES
> -D__WXGTK__ -O2 -I/usr/include/libxml2 -I/usr/include/libxml2
> -DDATA_DIR=\"/usr/local/pgadmin3/share/pgadmin3/\" -Wall
> -I../pgadmin/include  -MT keywords.o -MD -MP -MF ".deps/keywords.Tpo" -c
> -o keywords.o `test -f './db/keywords.c' || echo './'`./db/keywords.c; \
>         then mv -f ".deps/keywords.Tpo" ".deps/keywords.Po"; else rm -f
>         ".deps/keywords.Tpo"; exit 1; fi
> In file included from ./db/keywords.c:22: gram.y:122: error: expected
> specifier-qualifier-list before ‘JoinType’

I have the same issue on a computer upgraded from edgy to feisty. I
don't have it on my laptop (no upgrade, installed with feisty).

>> Please post the output of "gcc --version" on your machine, and check
>> if you have any environment variables like
>> CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAGS,.. set in the shell where you
>> issue "configure" and "make". Please also add the exact arguments
>> to configure you used.
>
> gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Ubuntu 4.1.2-0ubuntu4)
>
> Just plain ./configure fails. No environment varaiables
> (CC,CFLAGS,LDFLAGS,CXXFLAGS,CPPFLAG) set in the shell. I've tried to
> compile it with SVN version of postgres 8.3 instead of
> distribution-delivered 8.2.x, but it doesn't change anything.
>
>> [...]
>> As a crosscheck, please also try the changes to postgres.h (the one
>> shipped with the pgadmin sources, not some other postgres you might find
>> in /usr/include) that I suggested in the other thread.
>>
>> In postgres.h, replace
>> #define YYTOKENTYPE
>> #define YYSTYPE int
>> with
>> #define YYSTYPE_IS_DECLARED
>> #define DECIMAL DECIMAL_P
>>    typedef int YYSTYPE;
>>

> Unfortunately, as others have reported, it doesn't help :-(
> Maybe something is wrong with Debian/Ubuntu build environments...

I think a package is missing but I don't manage to find which one.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Re: build environment

From
Dave Page
Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> I have the same issue on a computer upgraded from edgy to feisty. I
> don't have it on my laptop (no upgrade, installed with feisty).

All,

Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
which we don't actually use anyway.

Thanks, Dave.

Re: build environment

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> I have the same issue on a computer upgraded from edgy to feisty. I
>> don't have it on my laptop (no upgrade, installed with feisty).
>
> All,
>
> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
> to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
> which we don't actually use anyway.

I works great for me on my two computers.

Thanks.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Re: build environment

From
Dave Page
Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>> I have the same issue on a computer upgraded from edgy to feisty. I
>>> don't have it on my laptop (no upgrade, installed with feisty).
>>
>> All,
>>
>> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
>> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
>> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped
>> it to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring
>> on which we don't actually use anyway.
>>

> I works great for me on my two computers.

Great, thanks for testing.

Regards, Dave

Re: build environment

From
Leszek Trenkner
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:24:56 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> All,
>
> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
> to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
> which we don't actually use anyway.
>
> Thanks, Dave.

Works for me :-)

Thanks.
--
Leszek Trenkner

Re: build environment

From
Dave Page
Date:
Leszek Trenkner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 09 May 2007 09:24:56 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
>> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
>> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
>> to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
>> which we don't actually use anyway.
>>
>> Thanks, Dave.
>>
> Works for me :-)
>
> Thanks.

You're welcome - thanks for testing.

Regards, Dave

Re: build environment

From
Giuseppe Sacco
Date:
Il giorno mer, 09/05/2007 alle 09.24 +0100, Dave Page ha scritto:
[...]
> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
> to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
> which we don't actually use anyway.

Yes, it working even here. Thanks a lot.

Giuseppe

Re: build environment

From
Dave Page
Date:
Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> Il giorno mer, 09/05/2007 alle 09.24 +0100, Dave Page ha scritto:
> [...]
>> Please try building SVN trunk. The code that it's failing on is lifted
>> straight from PostgreSQL and was resync'ed earlier in this development
>> cycle (which probably explains why it works for 1.6.x). I've stripped it
>> to it's bear bones which included removing the code it was erroring on
>> which we don't actually use anyway.
>
> Yes, it working even here. Thanks a lot.
>
> Giuseppe

Cool - another issue sorted. Sorry it took a while :-(

Regards, Dave