Debugger integration completed

From
Dave Page
Date:
Hi,

I've now completed the integration of the debugger with pgAdmin - it was
somewhat easier than I'd expected :-)

Can those of you with access to a copy of EnterpriseDB please give it a
try and report any issues. If you feel like downloading a copy to play
with, you can get downloads from
http://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads.do. I've mainly been testing with
the 8.2 Beta/RC code.

Regards, Dave

Re: Debugger integration completed

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> I've now completed the integration of the debugger with pgAdmin - it was
> somewhat easier than I'd expected :-)
>
> Can those of you with access to a copy of EnterpriseDB please give it a
> try and report any issues. If you feel like downloading a copy to play
> with, you can get downloads from
> http://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads.do. I've mainly been testing with
> the 8.2 Beta/RC code.

I've downloaded it yesterday. I expect to test this tonight.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> I've now completed the integration of the debugger with pgAdmin - it
>> was somewhat easier than I'd expected :-)
>>
>> Can those of you with access to a copy of EnterpriseDB please give it
>> a try and report any issues. If you feel like downloading a copy to
>> play with, you can get downloads from
>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads.do. I've mainly been testing
>> with the 8.2 Beta/RC code.
>>

> I've downloaded it yesterday. I expect to test this tonight.

Cool, thanks - make sure you're on SVN trunk. Using it is quite simple -
  right click and use the Debug option to debug a procedure or function,
or set a global breakpoint (which also works for triggers) in which case
the debugger will start and wait for the next session to execute that
object. Once the debugging session has started, usage is obvious.

Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>> Dave Page a écrit :
>>> I've now completed the integration of the debugger with pgAdmin - it
>>> was somewhat easier than I'd expected :-)
>>>
>>> Can those of you with access to a copy of EnterpriseDB please give it
>>> a try and report any issues. If you feel like downloading a copy to
>>> play with, you can get downloads from
>>> http://www.enterprisedb.com/downloads.do. I've mainly been testing
>>> with the 8.2 Beta/RC code.
>>>

>> I've downloaded it yesterday. I expect to test this tonight.
>
> Cool, thanks - make sure you're on SVN trunk. Using it is quite simple -
>  right click and use the Debug option to debug a procedure or function,
> or set a global breakpoint (which also works for triggers) in which case
> the debugger will start and wait for the next session to execute that
> object. Once the debugging session has started, usage is obvious.

Yesterday, I downloaded the client, which was really silly. But I don't
find any debugger module on the enterprisedb website. I thought I just
needed a module to insert on a vanilla PostgreSQL... and pgAdmin of course.

So, do I need to test it with the EnterpriseDB Advanced Server ? or can
I use a CVS HEAD PostgreSQL server ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> Yesterday, I downloaded the client, which was really silly. But I don't
> find any debugger module on the enterprisedb website. I thought I just
> needed a module to insert on a vanilla PostgreSQL... and pgAdmin of course.

The plugin should be released in the not-to-distant future.
Unfortunately, Korry (the developer) is quite busy with EDBAS82 at the
moment so he's not yet had time to work on it.

> So, do I need to test it with the EnterpriseDB Advanced Server ?

Yes, at the moment that is the only way - it ships with the plugin fully
enabled out of the box. It's not the same code that will be released
with PostgreSQL however, as it has to support stored procedures and
packages written in EDB-SPL as well as pl/pgsql.

Date:
Dave Page a écrit :
> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday, I downloaded the client, which was really silly. But I
>> don't find any debugger module on the enterprisedb website. I thought
>> I just needed a module to insert on a vanilla PostgreSQL... and
>> pgAdmin of course.
>
> The plugin should be released in the not-to-distant future.
> Unfortunately, Korry (the developer) is quite busy with EDBAS82 at the
> moment so he's not yet had time to work on it.
>
>> So, do I need to test it with the EnterpriseDB Advanced Server ?
>
> Yes, at the moment that is the only way - it ships with the plugin fully
> enabled out of the box. It's not the same code that will be released
> with PostgreSQL however, as it has to support stored procedures and
> packages written in EDB-SPL as well as pl/pgsql.

OK, my download will finish soon. I'll test this asap.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Dave Page a écrit :
>> Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>>
>>> Yesterday, I downloaded the client, which was really silly. But I
>>> don't find any debugger module on the enterprisedb website. I thought
>>> I just needed a module to insert on a vanilla PostgreSQL... and
>>> pgAdmin of course.
>>
>> The plugin should be released in the not-to-distant future.
>> Unfortunately, Korry (the developer) is quite busy with EDBAS82 at the
>> moment so he's not yet had time to work on it.
>>
>>> So, do I need to test it with the EnterpriseDB Advanced Server ?
>>
>> Yes, at the moment that is the only way - it ships with the plugin
>> fully enabled out of the box. It's not the same code that will be
>> released with PostgreSQL however, as it has to support stored
>> procedures and packages written in EDB-SPL as well as pl/pgsql.
>>

> OK, my download will finish soon. I'll test this asap.

It took me some time to make it work : downloading EnterpriseDB Advanced
Server, downloading an EnterpriseDB compatible distro (or better, a
vmware image), installing the termcap library, installing EntrepriseDB
(nice installer BTW), configuring and launching it... a lot of work just
to test the debugger.

But now, I can test it. I really enjoyed it. It seems to work just
great. I've only tested with the EntrepriseDB database... I will test
the debugger with some functions I wrote to get more in-depth.

But all I need now is a module for a vanilla PostgreSQL server... I just
hope Korry will find some time to work on it. He can use me as a beta
tester if he wants :)

Regards.

--
Guillaume.
<!-- http://abs.traduc.org/

Date:
Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> It took me some time to make it work : downloading EnterpriseDB Advanced
> Server, downloading an EnterpriseDB compatible distro (or better, a
> vmware image), installing the termcap library, installing EntrepriseDB
> (nice installer BTW), configuring and launching it... a lot of work just
> to test the debugger.

Meep - thanks for the effort. It will *probably* run on other distros
than those mentioned - it's just that they're all we support it on.

> But now, I can test it. I really enjoyed it. It seems to work just
> great. I've only tested with the EntrepriseDB database... I will test
> the debugger with some functions I wrote to get more in-depth.

Cool, thats what we like to hear! I have some UI tweaks in mind, but
essentially I think it's about ready to go now.

> But all I need now is a module for a vanilla PostgreSQL server... I just
> hope Korry will find some time to work on it. He can use me as a beta
> tester if he wants :)

:-)

Thanks again for testing.

Regards, Dave

Re: Debugger integration completed

From
Ishikawa Toshiyuki
Date:
Hi, all

I've downloaded EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 for Windows
New! (23-Apr-2007) version and ran Developer Studio 8.2 to
see Debugger. I have several functions that were used to make
a textbook to teach PL/pgSQL in the organization I am involved,
i.e., same to Hiroshi's, and manipulated with them. Beautiful.
PL/pgSQL seems to be a hurdle, here in Japan, because there
are no good documentation/books, as well as its absence of
debugger. Again, it's nice and cool as far as I tested under
XP. Thanks and eagerly wait for the module available with the
PgAdmin3 distribution.
Thanks also to EnterpriseDB for their contribution of codes
to our community.

Best regards,

---
T. Ishikawa
Director, JPUG

Date:
Ishikawa Toshiyuki wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I've downloaded EnterpriseDB Advanced Server 8.2 for Windows
> New! (23-Apr-2007) version and ran Developer Studio 8.2 to
> see Debugger. I have several functions that were used to make
> a textbook to teach PL/pgSQL in the organization I am involved,
> i.e., same to Hiroshi's, and manipulated with them. Beautiful.
> PL/pgSQL seems to be a hurdle, here in Japan, because there
> are no good documentation/books, as well as its absence of
> debugger. Again, it's nice and cool as far as I tested under
> XP. Thanks and eagerly wait for the module available with the
> PgAdmin3 distribution.

Thanks for testing - I'm glad you like it! The version of the debugger
in pgAdmin is very similar to that in DevStudio.

> Thanks also to EnterpriseDB for their contribution of codes
> to our community.

On behalf of EDB, you're welcome :-)

Regards, Dave