Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Dave Page"
Packagers:

You may have noticed that wxWidgets 2.7.0 has now been released, and pending further testing I would like to use it for
pgAdmin1.6. The advantages of doing so are:

- wxAUI is built in, thus a separate custom package would no longer be required.
- A new docking tab control is included, potentially allowing further UI improvements.

The disadvantages are:

- This would be a requirement - no more support for 2.6 or 2.5.
- The wx team class 2.7 as a development version (ie. expected to be stable and bug free, but API changes in future
releasesmay occur). This may cause issues for packagers for the more picky distros (Debian springs to mind).

Comments or objections?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
Raphaël Enrici
Dave Page wrote:
> Packagers:
>
> You may have noticed that wxWidgets 2.7.0 has now been released, and pending further testing I would like to use it
forpgAdmin 1.6. The advantages of doing so are:

> - wxAUI is built in, thus a separate custom package would no longer be required.
> - A new docking tab control is included, potentially allowing further UI improvements.
>
> The disadvantages are:
>
> - This would be a requirement - no more support for 2.6 or 2.5.
> - The wx team class 2.7 as a development version (ie. expected to be stable and bug free, but API changes in future
releasesmay occur). This may cause issues for packagers for the more picky distros (Debian springs to mind).

> Comments or objections?

Hi Dave, friends,

Would it be possible to wait a bit until I get an idea of Debian
packaging plans from Ron please ?
(I would not like to dive back into the nightmare of maintaining it by
myself).

Cheers,
Raph

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Dave Page"

Sure, no problem. I've actually done most of the work (it's relatively trivial in fact) - I'll just hang onto the patch
fora bit.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi.

Yea, good sound to me which may be filled with hope it.

> The disadvantages are:
>
> - This would be a requirement - no more support for 2.6 or 2.5.
> - The wx team class 2.7 as a development version (ie. expected to be stable and bug free, but API
> changes in future releases may occur). This may cause issues for packagers for the more picky
> distros (Debian springs to mind).
>
> Comments or objections?

In order to obtain the function to wish it, I try 2.7beta and have the problem.
It was a Japanese expression problem. However, my patch not applied.....
Soon, by 2.7 present releases, I will try again and will check.

Regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Dave Page"

I just noticed that it also fixes the ugly white toolbar background issue on OSX, replacing it with a much less harsh
lightgray background.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Dave Page"

OK, thanks.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
Raphaël Enrici
Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Hi Dave,

was about to do an update concerning this. I got an answer from Ron. He
may help with this if it becomes an issue for us (it seems to be the
case now ;). So, I bet we can go on. However he would be interested in
our feedback and the reasons why we swap to this version.

>>(I would not like to dive back into the nightmare of
>>maintaining it by
>>myself).
>

> Unfortunately I think we might end up using 2.7 regardless of what Ron does, especially as Debian appears to be the
onlydistro where this is even an issue.

> On the plus side, if we didn't use 2.7, we'd need to build a totally bespoke wxAUI package as opposed to a totally
standardversion of wx2.7. I note also that wx already have Ubuntu packages if that helps at all.

> /D (feeling Raph's pain but having to consider the big picture :-( )

I hope this mail stopped this feeling ;)
Let's go! I'll try do my best.

Cheers,
Raph

Re: Packaging: wxWidgets 2.7

From
"Dave Page"

wxAUI. One of the most common complaints I hear about pgAdmin is that it's an unattractive, old fashioned interface -
especiallywhen compared to some of the commercial products out there (which admittedly are mainly not cross platform).
wxAUIallows us to update that look'n'feel with a modern docking UI. The standalone version of wxAUI (ie. Pre 2.7) works
witha number of patches and hacks both to get it to compile and to get it usable. The version bundled with wx2.7 works
outof the box for us.

Regards, Dave.