Splash graphics

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
I just noticed we have a new modern looking splash bitmap!
But I wonder what "turtle meets elephant" mean?!?
When I saw the new postgresql.org design, I considered creating a new
splash screen from that elephant picture, but didn't find the time.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Dave Page"

Yeah - I was bored one night and wasn't in the right frame of mind for
coding...

> But I wonder what "turtle meets elephant" mean?!?

The turtle is in recognition of our Japanese users, of which there are
far more than I ever realised as I found recently. I found myself
picking up random PostgreSQL books in a Tokyo bookshop and browsing
through screenshots of pgAdmin in action - not something I've ever done
here. It was a truly odd feeling!

> When I saw the new postgresql.org design, I considered creating a new
> splash screen from that elephant picture, but didn't find the time.

:-) The one that's there is certainly not set in stone, so if you have
something better, or can think of possible improvements by all means let
me know.

Regards, Dave.

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> > Andreas Pflug
> > But I wonder what "turtle meets elephant" mean?!?
>
> The turtle is in recognition of our Japanese users, of which there are
> far more than I ever realised as I found recently. I found myself
> picking up random PostgreSQL books in a Tokyo bookshop and browsing
> through screenshots of pgAdmin in action - not something I've ever done
> here. It was a truly odd feeling!

Ah... There is a mascot for a special Japanese circumstance.
However,Meaning is different from it.
See,
http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/www/logos.html#turtles

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Dave Page"

Oh, that explains a thing or two!!

Do you like the new splash screen Hiroshi?

Regards, Dave.

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Hiroshi Saito"

From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>
> > Ah... There is a mascot for a special Japanese circumstance.
> > However,Meaning is different from it.
> > See,
> > http://s2k-ftp.cs.berkeley.edu:8000/www/logos.html#turtles
>
> Oh, that explains a thing or two!!
>
> Do you like the new splash screen Hiroshi?

It seems to me and the Japanese to be wonderful. However, What Andreas,
Raphaël, Adam and all user like is probably the before. I hope that there is no
ill effect by this event's having happened.

Thank you all.

regards,
Hiroshi Saito

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Dave Page"

I hope they like it - they certainly haven't objected yet!! :-)

/D

Re: Splash graphics

From
Andreas Pflug
Dave Page wrote:

> I hope they like it - they certainly haven't objected yet!! :-)

I *do* like it, except for the turtle, esp. since I know now where it
comes from :-)

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Splash graphics

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
> > I hope they like it - they certainly haven't objected yet!! :-)
>
> I *do* like it, except for the turtle, esp. since I know now where it
> comes from :-)

Seems you that turtle is me. Every time pgAdmin is used, it appears,
and it smiles. you must not close.:-)

regards,
Hiroshi Saito