Re: pgadmin3: 1.0.2-4 + 1.0.2-3.backports.org.1

From
Raphaël Enrici
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I have received the following feedback:
>
>09:26 <@nobse> src/gtk/font.cpp(575): assert "wxAssertFailure" failed:
>unknown font weight
>09:26 <@nobse> beim Start von pgadmin3
>
>"nobse" is the administrator of backports.org.  Do you know what could
>be wrong?

Does "nobse" has a ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file ?
Did he try to take a fresh account to do the test ?
Which desktop is he running (gnome ? kde ? ... ?)
Does it occur before or after the locale selection ?

Can he try with something like this:

cat >~/.gtkrc-2.0 file<<EOF
style "defaultfont"
{
font_name = "Arial 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "defaultfont"
EOF

Then relaunch pgAdmin... Just to see if it changes something.

BTW I CC pgadmin-hackers, maybe someone will have a better idea.

Andreas, I've provided a backport for Debian woody but it seems that
under specific conditions it just crashes... I saw you made some
modifications in 1.1 branch with the following comment attached:
"changed font handling to accept exotic weights" do you think that the
issue we see here in 1.0.2 could be solved by the modifications you made
in 1.1 ?

Regards,
Raphaël

Re: pgadmin3: 1.0.2-4 + 1.0.2-3.backports.org.1

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> Andreas, I've provided a backport for Debian woody but it seems that
> under specific conditions it just crashes... I saw you made some
> modifications in 1.1 branch with the following comment attached:
> "changed font handling to accept exotic weights" do you think that the
> issue we see here in 1.0.2 could be solved by the modifications you
> made in 1.1 ?

Hm, I doubt that.
The fix mentioned is about user settable font, which is quite new to
1.1. The changed modified the way how that setting is preserved, because
it was possible to select fonts that couldn't be interpreted by wx when
trying to restore them. Now, an internal format is saved to .pgadmin3 or
registry, instead of former cleartext.

Oh wait, this also affects SQL query window fonts, so yes it's worth
trying to check 1.1.

Regards,
Andreas

Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:

> Hm, I doubt that.
> The fix mentioned is about user settable font, which is quite new to
> 1.1. The changed modified the way how that setting is preserved,
> because it was possible to select fonts that couldn't be interpreted
> by wx when trying to restore them. Now, an internal format is saved to
> .pgadmin3 or registry, instead of former cleartext.

ok.

> Oh wait, this also affects SQL query window fonts, so yes it's worth
> trying to check 1.1.

If this is what we are experiencing under Woody would it crash before or
after the locale selection ?
Do you agree that by specifying default gtk font (like specified in my
previous mail and FAQ) we should bypass this problem ?

Regards,
Raphaël

Date:
Raphaël Enrici wrote:

> If this is what we are experiencing under Woody would it crash before
> or after the locale selection ?

You probably mean assert, which can be ignored? The font settings are
retrieved in a very early stage, in the systemsettings class, which is
constructed even before logging is enabled (because the setting
determines logging params), and before locale is set to a non-default one.

> Do you agree that by specifying default gtk font (like specified in my
> previous mail and FAQ) we should bypass this problem ?

No, explicitely not. 1.0.2 can only use the default font, and won't try
to restore it from a private .pgadmin3 setting which caused that
mentioned trouble. This can only be caused by the SQL window font
setting. Only "Normal" or "Bold" style are recognized, wx doesn't know
e.g. "Medium".

Regards,
Andreas