Licence disclaimer

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear all,

I added a disclaimer in the licence:
http://developer.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/cnt/licence.txt

Can we agree on these modifications?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel
**************
An updated licence agreement can be downloaded from
http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin3/cnt/licence.txt

Last update: Friday 6 February 2004

BY INSTALLING OR DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE WITH THE FOLLOWING
DISCLAIMER:

BECAUSE PGADMIN IS FREE SOFTWARE MOSTLY DEVELOPED AS A HOBBY DURING SPARE
TIME, IT WAS NOT FULLY TESTED AND THUS MAY CONTAIN BUGS OR OTHER DAMAGING
PROGRAMS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. TO THE EXTENT OF APPLICABLE LAW, PGADMIN TEAM
MEMBERS, PROGRAMMERS AND WEB SITES DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE
UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR
OTHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE - IN
COUNTRIES WHERE THIS CLAUSE CANNOT APPLY, PGADMIN MEMBERS, PROGRAMMERS AND
WEB SITES DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR MORE THAN ONE EURO
FOR THE TOTAL DOMAGE.

IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE OR
FURTHER DISTRIBUTE THIS SOFTWARE.

Then the Artistic text...
**************

Re: Licence disclaimer

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>Dear all,
>
>I added a disclaimer in the licence:
>http://developer.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/cnt/licence.txt
>
>Can we agree on these modifications?
>
>Cheers,
>Jean-Michel
>**************
>An updated licence agreement can be downloaded from
>http://pgadmin.postgresql.org/pgadmin3/cnt/licence.txt
>
>Last update: Friday 6 February 2004
>
>BY INSTALLING OR DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN SOFTWARE, YOU AGREE WITH THE FOLLOWING
>DISCLAIMER:
>
>BECAUSE PGADMIN IS FREE SOFTWARE MOSTLY DEVELOPED AS A HOBBY DURING SPARE
>TIME, IT WAS NOT FULLY TESTED AND THUS MAY CONTAIN BUGS OR OTHER DAMAGING
>PROGRAMS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. TO THE EXTENT OF APPLICABLE LAW, PGADMIN TEAM
>MEMBERS, PROGRAMMERS AND WEB SITES DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE
>UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FOR DAMAGE TO HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE, LOST DATA, OR
>OTHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT DAMAGE RESULTING FROM THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE - IN
>COUNTRIES WHERE THIS CLAUSE CANNOT APPLY, PGADMIN MEMBERS, PROGRAMMERS AND
>WEB SITES DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN CANNOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR MORE THAN ONE EURO
>FOR THE TOTAL DOMAGE.
>
>IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE CONDITIONS, YOU ARE NOT PERMITTED TO USE OR
>FURTHER DISTRIBUTE THIS SOFTWARE.

Domage? Is this about the Kölner Dom? :-)

Well it's not really a hobby, more a *mission*. IMHO (in my hopeful
opinion) we're adhering to criteria that can be put on the very best
software design. I wouldn't like the word hobby for this. I'd say

BECAUSE PGADMIN IS FREE SOFTWARE ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED FOR PERSONAL NEEDS AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE PUBLIC AS GENEROUS
DONATION,WE DO NOT GUARANTEE ANYTHING ON THIS FINE PIECE OF SOFTWARE IN TERMS OF USABILITY, FUNCTIONALITY OR FREEDOM OF
DEFECTS.USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

We should rise a fund to insure this Euro thing, don't you think? :-)))

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Licence disclaimer

From
"Dave Page"

Hmm, not sure about either. Let me think about it.

> We should rise a fund to insure this Euro thing, don't you
> think? :-)))

??

Regards, Dave.

Re: Licence disclaimer

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear Andreas,

BECAUSE PGADMIN IS FREE SOFTWARE ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED FOR PERSONAL NEEDS
AND CONTRIBUTED TO THE PUBLIC AS GENEROUS DONATION, WE DO NOT GUARANTEE
ANYTHING, [TO THE EXTENT OF THE LOCAL LAW], ON THIS FINE PIECE OF SOFTWARE IN
TERMS OF USABILITY,FUNCTIONALITY OR FREEDOM OF DEFECTS. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Thanks. This sounds much better. Let us just add "TO THE EXTENT OF THE LAW",
otherwise the sentence may be void in France (per previous court judgement).

> We should rise a fund to insure this Euro thing, don't you think? :-)

Absence of liability is not allowed in France and probably in several
countries. As a result, when starting Debian you can read 'Provided without
liability to the extend of the local law' (from memory).

But, defining a maximum amount if allowed. Defining a "One Euro" amount is
quite usual as it is a much better garantee than rejecting liability:

IN COUNTRIES WHERE LIABILITY CANNOT BE RESTRICTED, PGADMIN SOFTWARE
DEVELOPERS, CONTRIBUTORS AND ANY PARTY PROMOTING OR DISTRIBUTING PGADMIN
SHALL NOT BE HELD LIABLE FOR MORE THAN ONE EURO FOR ANY DAMAGE.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel