pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Exporting of data from the sql window is implemented now.

I had a deep look at CREATE OPERATOR CLASS, and decided to to implement
a property dialog these days. To program it in a way that's worth it,
the dialog should be really intelligent about those strategy numbers.
That's not a problem per se, but a lot of work for very few people using
it. I believe missing this won't be a big drawback.

TODO.txt is updated accordingly.

To give some hints about bug reporting, I added an entry to the help
menu. It uses the file src/bugreport.html.
For release, we could either remove that menu or replace it with a real
form, that posts to the pgadmin website/mailing list.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
"Dave Page"

OK, sounds good.

While I think of it - one bug I noticed today but haven't been able too
look at:- I have a table with a serial pkey, specified not null. I
cannot add rows to it, because if I leave the column blank, the editor
tries to set it to null::int4.

> TODO.txt is updated accordingly.
>
> To give some hints about bug reporting, I added an entry to the help
> menu. It uses the file src/bugreport.html.
> For release, we could either remove that menu or replace it
> with a real
> form, that posts to the pgadmin website/mailing list.

OK.

So people - any more essential features? Shout now or forever hold your
peace (well, until the next release anyhoo)!!

Regards, Dave.

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Jochem van Dieten
Dave Page wrote:
> So people - any more essential features? Shout now or forever hold your
> peace (well, until the next release anyhoo)!!

Not essential, but I have some further requests:

query dialogue: button to explain analyze

double click in tree: give user option to open property page, do nothing
or view data

dump/restore
(Maybe as a plugin that uses pg_dump and pg_restore to reuse the
existing functionality but has a clickety-click interface.)

Smarter use of connections
If I connect to a database cluster and the initial database is the same
as the database I am working in, why would pgAdmin 3 require 2 different
connections?
(On a related note; will the disconnect feature make it into the beta?)

Jochem

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
It's rumoured that Jochem van Dieten once said:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> So people - any more essential features? Shout now or forever hold
>> your peace (well, until the next release anyhoo)!!
>
> Not essential, but I have some further requests:
>
> query dialogue: button to explain analyze

Should be easy (I think). We already have explain.

> double click in tree: give user option to open property page, do
> nothing  or view data

There is an option already to select property page or expand node (which
is probably your do nothing).
> dump/restore
> (Maybe as a plugin that uses pg_dump and pg_restore to reuse the
> existing functionality but has a clickety-click interface.)

If this is done, it will reuse PostgreSQL code, however we already decided
this was a v2 feature.
> Smarter use of connections
> If I connect to a database cluster and the initial database is the same
>  as the database I am working in, why would pgAdmin 3 require 2
> different  connections?

Just the way it evolved I guess. I can't see any immediate reason why it
couldn't reuse the initial connection.
> (On a related note; will the disconnect feature make it into the beta?)

I thought it was there already - I'll take a look.

Regards, Dave

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>
>> So people - any more essential features? Shout now or forever hold your
>> peace (well, until the next release anyhoo)!!
>

> Not essential, but I have some further requests:
>
> query dialogue: button to explain analyze

Has been present in query window right from the start!

> double click in tree: give user option to open property page, do
> nothing or view data

DblClk is usually "show properties". The tree interprets this as "open
this node".

> dump/restore
> (Maybe as a plugin that uses pg_dump and pg_restore to reuse the
> existing functionality but has a clickety-click interface.)

I'd like good dump/restore support, but this needs tight backend
integration.
Not realistic for this release.

> Smarter use of connections
> If I connect to a database cluster and the initial database is the
> same as the database I am working in, why would pgAdmin 3 require 2
> different connections?

Will this do any harm? Handling will be much more complicated.

> (On a related note; will the disconnect feature make it into the beta?)

This is to be decided. Do we need disconnect at all? If not, the menus
should disappear.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Jochem van Dieten
Date:
Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Jochem van Dieten wrote:
>>
>> query dialogue: button to explain analyze
>

> Has been present in query window right from the start!

I only see is a button to explain, not to explain anlayze.

Jochem

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jochem van Dieten wrote:

> I only see is a button to explain, not to explain anlayze.

Jochen, you're right.
Options for ANALYZE and VERBOSE are added.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Andreas.

I am sorry that my response is dull...

I thought how pgadmin3 should handle LargeObject.
There is the following three approach with pgsql-7.3 as the way of handling
it.

1) It has the one related to the reference with column-OID.
    Then, the actual condition is pg_lageobject.
   This suggests the standard use of psql.

2) It has the one related to the reference with column-lo.
   column data by the definition of  Type-lo
 This has been the property of the way of using it since the old days of
ODBC-Driver.

3)  It goes into column-bytea directly.
 This makes use with new ODBC possible.

It thinks that it has a headache.
Is there any thought?

Though a topic strays, Dave.
Usage Version7.3 following with ODBC.

CREATE FUNCTION lo_in(cstring)
   RETURNS lo
   AS 'int4in'
   LANGUAGE 'internal' WITH (ISCACHABLE, ISSTRICT);

CREATE FUNCTION lo_out(lo)
   RETURNS cstring
   AS 'int4out'
   LANGUAGE 'internal' WITH (ISCACHABLE, ISSTRICT);

CREATE TYPE lo (
   internallength = 4,
   externallength=10,
   input = lo_in,
   output = lo_out,
   alignment = int4,
   default = '',
   passedbyvalue
);

And Cast is necessary to begin to lead OID.

CREATE CAST (lo AS oid) WITHOUT FUNCTION;

Regards,
Hiroshi-Saito

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Hiroshi Saito wrote:

>Hi Andreas.
>
>I am sorry that my response is dull...
>
>I thought how pgadmin3 should handle LargeObject.
>There is the following three approach with pgsql-7.3 as the way of handling
>it.

Hiroshi,
pgAdmin3 doesn't handle blobs at the moment, because it doesn't work
with data a lot. If a selected column contains lo or bytea, the string
output of libpq is shown. This might not be pretty looking, but
interpretation of a blob is up to an application. I don't see a way to
handle this in a meaningful way for the tools we have in pgAdmin3 at the
moment.
This might change if we support some dump/restore or load functionality,
but this is a feature of forthcoming versions.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: pgAdmin3 feature freeze?

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Hi Andreas.

From: "Andreas Pflug" <Andreas.Pflug@web.de>
> Hiroshi Saito wrote:
>
> >Hi Andreas.
> >
> >I am sorry that my response is dull...
> >
> >I thought how pgadmin3 should handle LargeObject.
> >There is the following three approach with pgsql-7.3 as the way of
handling
> >it.
> >

> Hiroshi,
> pgAdmin3 doesn't handle blobs at the moment, because it doesn't work
> with data a lot. If a selected column contains lo or bytea, the string
> output of libpq is shown. This might not be pretty looking, but
> interpretation of a blob is up to an application. I don't see a way to
> handle this in a meaningful way for the tools we have in pgAdmin3 at the
> moment.
> This might change if we support some dump/restore or load functionality,
> but this is a feature of forthcoming versions.

It was understood.
With the material which I enjoy.

Regards,
Hiroshi-Saito