[Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
The current implementation of client encoding selection seems not
satisfying to me, but since I haven't worked with client encoding so far
I'm not sure and thus I'm asking you.

Currently, the client encoding can be selected using the "Options"
dialog, and will be active for the *next* connection established; either
a server freshly connected using the tree or a SQL Window of View Data.
This probably is not what the user expects; instead he'd wish to have it
active *immediately*.

Additionally, I wonder if there's an individual client encoding
necessary for tree display; I believe it's sufficient for it to be
Unicode to support all possible encodings. Think of a situation where
one SQL_ASCII and one EUC_JP database are residing on the same server.
Because there's no way to convert back and forth, it's not possible to
display the second database if the first is retrieved using its native
encoding.

Do we really need special encodings, besides unicode? If so, this should
be implemented on a tree node (Server property: client encoding) to make
it possible to let the change of encoding have immediate effect, or as
the "System Object" setting is implemented.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: [Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]

From
"Dave Page"

Hmm, good point. Perhaps we should just say Unicode all the time then
when we have a Unicode build.

> Do we really need special encodings, besides unicode? If so,
> this should
> be implemented on a tree node (Server property: client
> encoding) to make
> it possible to let the change of encoding have immediate
> effect, or as
> the "System Object" setting is implemented.

No, because then you are mixing schema with commands that may affect the
schema in non-obvious ways.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Tuesday 10 June 2003 12:10, you wrote:
> Hmm, good point. Perhaps we should just say Unicode all the time then
> when we have a Unicode build.

+ We need to check the conversion safety of data entered by users.
Cheers, Jean-Michel

Re: [Fwd: pgadmin3 clientencoding]

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
> The current implementation of client encoding selection seems not
> satisfying to me, but since I haven't worked with client encoding so far
> I'm not sure and thus I'm asking you.
>
> Currently, the client encoding can be selected using the "Options"
> dialog, and will be active for the *next* connection established; either
> a server freshly connected using the tree or a SQL Window of View Data.
> This probably is not what the user expects; instead he'd wish to have it
> active *immediately*.

Yes, it is moving very well.
(But, it is local-code of Windows.)

> Additionally, I wonder if there's an individual client encoding
> necessary for tree display; I believe it's sufficient for it to be
> Unicode to support all possible encodings. Think of a situation where
> one SQL_ASCII and one EUC_JP database are residing on the same server.
> Because there's no way to convert back and forth, it's not possible to
> display the second database if the first is retrieved using its native
> encoding.
>

> Do we really need special encodings, besides unicode? If so, this should
> be implemented on a tree node (Server property: client encoding) to make
> it possible to let the change of encoding have immediate effect, or as
> the "System Object" setting is implemented.
>
> Regards,
> Andreas

As for me, it doesn't examine present UNICODE complying with that it can be
said that it is certain.
(It doesn't seem to go well though a movement is still being watched.)
UNICODE which is one of Clientencodings..
Is it injustice?

With kindest regards,
Hiroshi-Saito