UTF-8 support

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Dear all,

I am stuck by the beauty of pgAdmin3. Thanks to all of you. While browsing
UTF-8 data, I noticed that german and spanish text displayed well. Only the
Japanese text does not display.

Are you converting UTF-8 into Latin1 or is pgAdmin3 really UTF-8 compatible (I
thought GTK 1.2 did not support UTF-8)?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: UTF-8 support

From
"Dave Page"

Cool. Nice to know it works better than VB!

> Are you converting UTF-8 into Latin1 or is pgAdmin3 really
> UTF-8 compatible (I
> thought GTK 1.2 did not support UTF-8)?

We are not doing anything about charsets yet, other than following the
wxWindows guidelines for Unicode support by wrapping all literal strings
in the wxT() macro.

My intention was to get the core functionality done, tested and
released, and then to work on stuff like Unicode/UTF-8 support (which I
still need to get my head fully around!)

Regards, Dave.

Re: UTF-8 support

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mardi 20 Mai 2003 15:36, Dave Page a écrit :
> We are not doing anything about charsets yet, other than following the
> wxWindows guidelines for Unicode support by wrapping all literal strings
> in the wxT() macro.
> My intention was to get the core functionality done, tested and
> released, and then to work on stuff like Unicode/UTF-8 support (which I
> still need to get my head fully around!)

The Japanese does not display but I can see rectangles instead of glyphs. It
should be a problem of fonts. Don't know... Do you need a small database for
testing?

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: UTF-8 support

From
"Dave Page"

If you have one I'll take a look but I can't guarantee to spend hours on it right now. Any suggestions on a suitable
font?

Regards, Dave.

Re: UTF-8 support

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
Le Mardi 20 Mai 2003 21:21, Dave Page a écrit :
> If you have one I'll take a look but I can't guarantee to spend hours on it
> right now.

Don't spend time on it, thanks anyway. No hurry, I am just playing around with
pgAdmin3.

> Any suggestions on a suitable font?

Looking at http://poedit.sourceforge.net source code should give interesting
information. The application is using GTK+2 built against wxWindows 2.3.4. A
simple post to the author would save time.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: UTF-8 support

From
"Dave Page"

If you can send the dump file anyway, then I at least have something to play with if I find a few spare moments.

> > Any suggestions on a suitable font?
>
> Looking at http://poedit.sourceforge.net source code should
> give interesting
> information. The application is using GTK+2 built against
> wxWindows 2.3.4. A
> simple post to the author would save time.

OK, will take a look. I won't email the author unless I need to as I know how annoying those emails can be (when you
getthem daily anyway)...

Regards, Dave